Fedora 10 is out and out to Rock!

Status
Not open for further replies.

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
Interesting. I think i finally see something I might actually consider. Kalpik got me hooked on Arch, maybe it would be worth trying what Hitboxx has on his system. I believe you have this installed ? If so could you just pm me a screenshot of you running OpenOffice, a browser, a music player (Sonata or whatever) with its resource usage. Just want to see how hungry it would be so I can try it on my old systems if I wanted too :) .

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
I am Done with Distro Hopping because i realized that i am spending too much time in "setting & installing stuff " rather than actually working on my workstation.

Fedora Looks cool, but my current distro would stay on for a long long time...

a_k_s_h_a_y

Dreaming
thankQ dude, off to download ! my ubuntu is screwed. and i hope this time fedora installs on my system. LOL ! last time it failed miserably !

OP
H

Hitboxx

Juke Box Hero
@MetalHead, I have the 64bit Gnome Live CD, it's a nice basic Gnome install upon which you can build up later. If you want it, PM me your address, I will send it. And if your processor supports 64bit, use that.

@FilledVoid, Haven't installed OOo yet, give me some time :p

@Hitboxx: I can get the gnome CD right now, in less than an hour. But its the DVD which I want since I wake at only 6:00 AM and it would be 6:30 AM before I can start the comp and I turn it off by 7:30 AM. That means only an hour of downloads, and fedora dvd would take a whole week.

BSNL's november offer ensured that I have enough bandwidth to afford downloading a whole CD.

Anyway, how is gnome performance compared to KDE4.1 in fedora ?
Is it worth getting the custom Xfce Spin ?

OP
H

Hitboxx

Juke Box Hero
You don't understand me, the DVD will be a bloat, I mean yeah it's a collectors item if you want the whole she-bang, but to get it up and running in no time, I prefer the live cd. It will install in under ~6-7 minutes, then fire up the net and you are good to go.

GNOME has always been traditionally faster on my PC, so I stick with it. I tried the KDE preview install and I got lost into it. I know every nook and corner of GNOME, can't say the same about KDE. So, irrespective of distro, me is partial to GNOME.

No idea about the XFCE custom spin.

And probably LFY with ship with the DVD soon I guess, so you can wait, although I ain't sure what arch it is going to be.

Last edited:

chandru.in

In the zone
And is there any difference between JRE, OpenJDK and IcedTea ?
JRE is the runtime environment for Java. Both proprietary Java and FOSS Java provide it.

OpenJDK and IcedTea are exactly same as far as the code base is considered. While official OpenJDK site provides binary plugs for building the code, IcedTea uses fully free tools to build the same code.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
I am disappointed at the KDE treatment, the package manager is not that good. Keep on getting crashes :/ I will wait for a distro with KDE 2 (probably Mandriva)

Will get gnome version in few days :p

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
Sounds good, but im good with Arch! I had everything Fedora 10 has, about a month ago on arch :) But nevertheless, a good distro for a beginner. I can see Fedora is now giving a lot of competition to Ubuntu. The only other noob distro is OpenSuSE, which i HATE for reasons QwertyManiac will agree with :p

mediator

Technomancer
I am Done with Distro Hopping because i realized that i am spending too much time in "setting & installing stuff " rather than actually working on my workstation.

Fedora Looks cool, but my current distro would stay on for a long long time...
Congrats buddy or otherwise most people just distro hop 24x7, decorate their desktops, witness the limits of their talent, get bored and then press the switch again! :)

You don't understand me, the DVD will be a bloat, I mean yeah it's a collectors item if you want the whole she-bang, but to get it up and running in no time, I prefer the live cd. It will install in under ~6-7 minutes, then fire up the net and you are good to go.

GNOME has always been traditionally faster on my PC, so I stick with it. I tried the KDE preview install and I got lost into it. I know every nook and corner of GNOME, can't say the same about KDE. So, irrespective of distro, me is partial to GNOME.

No idea about the XFCE custom spin.

And probably LFY with ship with the DVD soon I guess, so you can wait, although I ain't sure what arch it is going to be.
My problem is that I can't run live on my pathetic rig. So I need DVD's Anaconda installer.

Anyway, since you say gnome has been faster on your PC, and since one of my friends with a P4 1.7GHz (i686 only) in an 845 or 865 intel motherboard with 1GB Transcend DDR400 RAM wants to try linux, I am downloading the Gnome i686 live CD at the moment.

Hopefully, I can bear with the PATHETIC install times of gnome.

But I am going to try getting the 64bit DVD some day.
JRE is the runtime environment for Java. Both proprietary Java and FOSS Java provide it.

OpenJDK and IcedTea are exactly same as far as the code base is considered. While official OpenJDK site provides binary plugs for building the code, IcedTea uses fully free tools to build the same code.
Are there any performance difference between the three ?
And what about the flash part ?
I am disappointed at the KDE treatment, the package manager is not that good. Keep on getting crashes :/ I will wait for a distro with KDE 2 (probably Mandriva)

Will get gnome version in few days :p
KDE 2 ? I suggest you try Debian Potato. :rolleyes:

OP
H

Hitboxx

Juke Box Hero
Hopefully, I can bear with the PATHETIC install times of gnome.
The Live CD installation of Fedora is different from other distros, it is a very simple disk image transfer where-by-in it will ask for only basic details of user creation, partitions, etc. Then all it does is copy the image from the CD to the HDD without asking anything else, and then you reboot into the new environment, pretty effective if you ask me. I got mine installed in 4 mins.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
yup, installation is breeze fast. Just what I want for every OS :p

OP
H

Hitboxx

Juke Box Hero
The howto is up on *www.mjmwired.net/resources/mjm-fedora-f10.html , easy as pie.

Get the 64bit Flash from *labs.adobe.com/downloads/flashplayer10.html , it works great even though its alpha, no need for any wrappers now.

ThinkFree

Technomancer
Downloaded the gnome 64bit live cd. Installation was super fast. Within 18 minutes, I was able to use fedora 10 installed on hard disk.
It took 4.10 minute to boot live session, 5:00minute for settings like time zone and partition(shouldn't have taken more than 2 min but due to some reason), 4:20 minutes to copy image to hard disk and other 4 minutes for installing bootloader and creating a new user after rebooting on my laptop.

Get the 64bit Flash from *labs.adobe.com/downloads/flashplayer10.html , it works great even though its alpha, no need for any wrappers now.

How to install that? Getting segmentation error

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.