Fedora 10 is out and out to Rock!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hitboxx

Juke Box Hero
Yeah, that is the title a co-Fed user actually suggested me to use as the title on IRC ;)

*fedoraproject.org/static/images/f10launch.png

SOURCE: *fedoraproject.org/

Release Notes: *docs.fedoraproject.org/release-notes/f10/en_US/

Download: *fedoraproject.org/en/get-fedora

Direct torrents: *torrent.fedoraproject.org/​

Last edited:

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
thanks buddy, i just check it back few minutes

I will download KDE version. What do you say, is it worth or should I get gnome version ?

i686 or x86_64 ? I have C2D

Last edited:
OP
H

Hitboxx

Juke Box Hero
Depends on you I guess, you can make it into a full blown OS either way, me is getting the Gnome one, I tried the preview(Rawhide) of KDE and had some issues with it, doesn't necessarily mean it should be the same case with the release.

C2D, me as well, so x86_64.

Last edited:
OP
H

Hitboxx

Juke Box Hero
No, those should be fine I think, were a breeze on Fedora 9, no messing around like before, and also the 64bit flash is slowly creeping out, so there you go. As for developing, you should typically find everything for it you find on an i686 system.

IIRC, mjmwired.net was like a hotspot for the installation and post-install procedures, probably follow that and all should be fine. Not sure if they have updated with the F10 page.

Dark Star

Cyborg Agent
*www.imgx.org/files/26859_opmxd/f10launch.png
Fedora 10 Cambridge Released

The Fedora Project, a Red Hat sponsored and community-supported open source collaboration project, today announced the availability of Fedora 10, the latest version of its free, open source operating system distribution.

The new release offers the latest stable version of GNOME 2.24 and KDE 4.1, faster boot experience (powered by Plymouth), better printing, better webcam support, improved wireless network connection sharing, better software maintenance and update (powered by PackageKit and RPM 4.6), and virtualization storage. Plus, it adds a new security tool for IDS (Intrusion Detection System) called SecTool. In Fedora 10, users will enjoy a brand new theme called "Solar," and a new lightweight desktop environment called LXDE. Developers and system administrators will enjoy the power of Eclipse 3.4 and NetBeans IDE.

*www.imgx.org/thumbs/large/26860_kub5a/Tours_Fedora10_019.png
Highlights of Fedora 10:
  1. Linux kernel 2.6.27 (with improved webcam and WiFi support);
  2. GNOME 2.24;
  3. KDE 4.1;
  4. Eclipse 3.4;
  5. RPM 4.6;
  6. Faster boot;
  7. An enhanced version of the PackageKit package manager;
  8. An updated PulseAudio sound server;
  9. Improved Apple Macintosh hardware support;
  10. Improved HDTV support in X.Org;
  11. A new icon theme called Echo;
  12. Remote virtualization.

*www.imgx.org/thumbs/small/26858_7ieds/Tours_Fedora10_011_Plymouth_Boot.png *www.imgx.org/thumbs/small/26861_dltfx/Tours_Fedora10_022_Apps_3.png​

Download : Fedora Project
Release Notes : Fedora Project, sponsored by Red Hat

Fedora Wiki : Fedora Project, sponsored by Red Hat
Home Page : Fedora Project
Screenshot Tour : *fedoraproject.org/wiki/Tours/Fedora10/Screenshots

Huh Its hardly few hours and F10 gets a review /:p The LXF Test: Hands on with Fedora 10 :: Linux Format :: The website of the UK's best-selling Linux magazine | Rock-solid Fedora 10 brings salvation to Ubuntu weary ? The Register | Fedora 10 Review | bin-false.org |*arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20081125-fedora-10-released-brimming-with-new-features.html

Last edited:

mediator

Technomancer
No, those should be fine I think, were a breeze on Fedora 9, no messing around like before, and also the 64bit flash is slowly creeping out, so there you go. As for developing, you should typically find everything for it you find on an i686 system.

IIRC, mjmwired.net was like a hotspot for the installation and post-install procedures, probably follow that and all should be fine. Not sure if they have updated with the F10 page.
U mean u aint face any apps install problems or anything with 64 bit? How bt youtube, does it work flawlessly? Man, I was apprehensive bt the 64 bt with fedora 9 !! :oops:

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
U mean u aint face any apps install problems or anything with 64 bit? How bt youtube, does it work flawlessly? Man, I was apprehensive bt the 64 bt with fedora 9 !! :oops:
Everything works! Icedtea (OS Java) has a 64 bit java plugin, and adobe has released an alpha of a 64 bit flash plugin, which works great! Even before, you could run a 32 bit flash plugin via nspluginwrapper! I've been on 64 bit for more than a year now. No problems :)

mediator

Technomancer
Everything works! Icedtea (OS Java) has a 64 bit java plugin, and adobe has released an alpha of a 64 bit flash plugin, which works great! Even before, you could run a 32 bit flash plugin via nspluginwrapper! I've been on 64 bit for more than a year now. No problems :)
Thanx for that imp. piece of info buddy. i guess I'll be rollin on 64 bits now. :D

OP
H

Hitboxx

Juke Box Hero
What Kalpik said, and then some more, you can always expect to get to choose from the proprietary or free things, as in Icedtea for Java and SwfDec for Flash.

@esumitkumar, it is expected to be free of the bugs that have plagued Ubuntu in recent years.

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
BTW Can I initiate the installer from my ubuntu desktop? my DVD drive is dead :( .

OP
H

Hitboxx

Juke Box Hero
Install from the drive? Hmm, I haven't ever tried something like this except in a Virtual machine, so can't say. Let me get back on this.

esumitkumar

Call me Sumit
hmm..Hitboxxx ..what bugs does Ubuntu 8.10 has ? also can fedora 10 support logitech quickcam ?

Also I think its better to explore stable debian as compared to laal topi :D
[though new distributions tempt me ;) ]

I am definitely going to get Fedora 10. I am sick of ubuntu's terrible performance. I hope fedora can do what ubuntu couldn't - be easy to use for a newbie yet satisfy every hungry power user.

@Hitboxx: Do you advice i686 or x86_64 on a Pentium 4 "Prescott" ?

And is there any difference between JRE, OpenJDK and IcedTea ?

How is the performance of SWFdec compared to Flash64(alpha) compared to hacked_to_run_Flash32 ?

Does anybody in bangalore have the 64bit Installer DVD with them ?
Is there any shop where I can buy the Fedora 10 "Cambridge" DVD with artwork ?
I am waking up late these days and hence I can't download in a short time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom