faulty PSU?

Hello guys last month i got my new rig as suggested by forums members ..
thank you guys :smile:

config is as follows-
Processor x2 250
Gigabyte 880gm-ud2h
2gb ddr2 1333mhz ram
Psu-FSP SAGA 2 500W
ELite 310
3 fans(coz its on 24/7)

it was running fine for past 1 month but today i noticed an awful smell from my psu, what's the reason ?? did it got burned or ??
pc is running absolutely fine...

and ya it has been running continuously for last 5-6 days.

Last edited:

Cilus

laborare est orare
I think some cable or cable cover has been burnt. For now don't run the PC with the PSU as it might cause serous issue. Remove the PSU and check it for any visible damage. If possible, verify it by some local electrical guy who can understand these things.

OP
S

simarpal_sahni

Broken In
I think some cable or cable cover has been burnt. For now don't run the PC with the PSU as it might cause serous issue. Remove the PSU and check it for any visible damage. If possible, verify it by some local electrical guy who can understand these things.

I have checked the cables none of them seems to be damaged.... I dont think taking it to a local electric guy is an good idea ,as it will void warranty.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
For sure something has burnt out. You would need to inspect it. Remove the cover and check. Unplug each molex connector and see. Sniff in the power supply..could be that.

abirthedevil

In the zone
if you get a burnt smell then something must have burnt, running the system will harm the system and trying to fiddle with the PSU leaves the warranty void, why not make use of your warranty and get the PSU checked?
i have always wondered about FSP psu's they are recommended by people but have never been able find any reviews on credible tech sites

OP
S

simarpal_sahni

Broken In
yes i am using an ups..now its working fine from past 13 hrs without any smell...yesterday it was smelling like an burned plastic, maybe faun is right can be spider(not lizard) electrocution 'lol'
I dont think there is any point now to take it to service centre.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
^^Same thing happened to my PSU too. I thought it got burned out (though was working fine) but found out a lizard stuck dead.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
yes i am using an ups..now its working fine from past 13 hrs without any smell...yesterday it was smelling like an burned plastic, maybe faun is right can be spider(not lizard) electrocution 'lol'
I dont think there is any point now to take it to service centre.

actually, you should take it for RMA, atleast to make sure that it doesn't do any further damage.

OP
S

simarpal_sahni

Broken In
I took the risk and my pc is on for almost 4 days....Still no smell ,i think faun is right.:lol: spider electrocution.

thank you all for help.

Last edited:
Top Bottom