Far Cry 2 --> Not just another over-hyped game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack Carvar

Broken In
This aint a review by any means. Just to inform all you gamerz that this isnt one of those 'All hype-Nothing inside' type of games. FC2 offers what it said and more. Amazing grafix plus waaaay better optimisation than Crysis. I can play on all Very High @1440x900 with No AA with 37avg. FPS. Thats great! And the game looks awesome. The gameplay is very realistic and sometimes you will forget that it is a game. Its even better than some Rajnikant movies :D

yesh1683

In the zone
which Gfx card are U using?

and also the game has ultra high settings:D, So, test at those settings

I am right now playing on Dx10 mode at 1024x768 all set to ultra high with 8xAA and averages 33 FPS:D (HD4850)

Played for 2 hours completed only 4% Game:D

The game is mighty huge, to complete all missions it requires 30 hours

OP
J

Jack Carvar

Broken In
I am having an OC'd 8800GT. I did try with Ultra High settings......got 31-30Avg. FPS. On some areas with very dense vegitation and heavy fighting, it went down to 24-26. But it was very playable at those FPS :). I completed 5% in 2 and a half hours........and yes, the game is huge.....VERY HUGE :D.

*screenshot.xfire.com/screenshot/large/e4d7425b35502f4e3badd242a41c3b470bc1dcee.jpg

*screenshot.xfire.com/screenshot/large/8e511ba9b844932e63ffa6ff633814285b37e516.jpg

*screenshot.xfire.com/screenshot/large/e06409ed7f725f21cc829dd668b64d93b2702386.jpg

*screenshot.xfire.com/screenshot/large/18109839c3fc676d41141224d0fe5ad2195ae9e7.jpg

Last edited:

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
Mr Carver & Mr Yesh...tell us more about the game...

1. How is the AI.
2. How well it is scaling with all on max (though you have mentioned a bit, in the above 2 threads).
2. Storyline..?
3. Cut scenes...?
4. How "sandbox" is it..?
5. Realism..?
6. How good are the weapons..?
7. Mutlitplayer--if tried.?

thanks so much...the happiest thing, is..though..that the game is scaling well...even on a 8800GT...seems like the game is well optimized.... :)

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
the map kinda sort of make me remember VietCong :D It was too hell of a game.
Farcry is mine in few days :p Dunia engine seems good at scaling.

OP
J

Jack Carvar

Broken In
Dunia is one of the best at scaling.....and looks awesome too!

@asigh

1. AI is pretty good. They will take cover, flank you, etc.
2. Scaling is one of the best I have seen. Way better than Crysis.
3. Story is the ONLY bad part of the game.
4. There are no cutscenes.....everything is the part of a game. Like Assassins Creed.
5. It's pretty much like GTA. Do whatever you want and whenever you want.
6. Its one of the most realistic games I have seen. Fire spreads with wind, your play forces out bullets from his body, etc.
7. There are MANY weapons and all are great. Especially the flame thrower :D
8. Never tried MP.

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
1. How is the AI.
Compared to the previous installment, very dull. This time the AI relies more on group attack & even the slightest of noise would lead a whole pack of enemy to attack you from all directions. Under normal mode, they don't attack very tactically & never run away even if a grenade is flung towards them.
2. How well it is scaling with all on max (though you have mentioned a bit, in the above 2 threads).
The scaling is pretty good. But it takes a huge toll when you set everything to Ultra-High especially with Shadows which tends to chew a lot. But with High & 2X AA it does brilliantly & looks stunning as well. No matter what you do, don't judge anything from the screenshots as they always will look pathetic compared to the actual game.
2. Storyline..?
Average.
3. Cut scenes...?
No real cut-scenes as such but you'll be a part of it while the story is narrated. Meaning you can move the mouse & look around while the story is being told. Just like HL 2 & Call of Duty 4.
4. How "sandbox" is it..?
Very detailed sandbox gameplay. Most of which involves travelling & completing missions provided by buddies or Faction leaders. You'll have to use any mode of transportation to reach the location. The area is freaking huge. The map is pretty OK'ish.
5. Realism..?
Very realistic. You get hurt & you health bar drops down below the last 2 bars then you'll need to heal it by removing the bullet from your arm or leg OR re-align your twisted finger or arm. Since you're infected with malaria you will be required to consume your medication in time else you'll pass out. Your vehicles get heated up & you'll have to manually fix them. Physics are awesome & even the grass properly moves when you wade through it. Your weapons jam in the middle of a reload or even break. Fire propagation is brilliant.
6. How good are the weapons..?
Excellent. You have a large arsenal. By default you have a machete. Then you start picking up a Desert Eagle. The ones I got hold of after that were Spas 12, AK47, PKM & the flame thrower. There are way more weapons available but they need to be bought. If you want a whole list then here it is : *farcry2.org/?p=59#more-59

OP
J

Jack Carvar

Broken In
I have :-

1. Makarov
2. GK36 (or sumthing like dat)
3. Flame Thrower
4. Flare Gun
5. Mac 10
6. Explosives
7. A LMG with 100 bullet mag (forgot the name though)

All bought from the arms dealers.

yesh1683

In the zone
One more thing its difficult to find missions without opening map paper

I have wasted more time just by keeping the map paper open and searching:confused:

They should have shown small map at right bottom screen, but they only show it in vehicles

yesh1683

In the zone
The scaling is pretty good. But it takes a huge toll when you set everything to Ultra-High especially with Shadows which tends to chew a lot. But with High & 2X AA it does brilliantly & looks stunning as well. No matter what you do, don't judge anything from the screenshots as they always will look pathetic compared to the actual game.
Average.

at what resolution and settings are u playing ??

I have no problem with ultra settings
I am playing at 1024x768 Dx10 everything set to Ultra High even physics veryhigh with 8xAA I get 33 FPS without AA it gives 50 FPS
Completed 8% game with 8xAA no lags so far

Both ATI and Nvidia have released beta drivers for Farcry 2 both drivers significantly increase the performance

with ATI hotfix It gave over 4 Avg FPS

Detailed benchmarks are posted on my 4850 benchmark thread

allwyndlima Can u check with dx9 mode,,
On mine Dx9 mode is struggling it gives only 35 FPS whereas in Dx 10 same settings it gives 50FPS
:confused:

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
I suppose your resolution is low which is adding some more FPS. I'm playing at 1280x1024. Also my CPU is lower than yours & probably that may be a possible bottleneck.

quan chi

mortal kombat
even though i dont like farcry type of games.but still your review about gameplay looks promising.:D

well i have one query.as its minimum system req is p4 3.2 ghz.

will it run on p4 3.0 ht.

well from where can i get the beta drivers for it.

Last edited:

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
It should run on your rig. No issues. But set the resolution to a bit low & detail to medium & that should do the trick. Try to keep on experimenting with the settings to get better frames. It's highly scalable unlike Crysis. The gameplay only looks interesting but in some time just get heavily repetitive.:(

quan chi

mortal kombat
It should run on your rig. No issues. But set the resolution to a bit low & detail to medium & that should do the trick. Try to keep on experimenting with the settings to get better frames. It's highly scalable unlike Crysis. The gameplay only looks interesting but in some time just get heavily repetitive.:(

thanks thats why i dont like far cry type of games.:D. btw when was it released.

Last edited:

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
I meant only this version of Far Cry & not the original one. The original one was a master piece. This looks more like a S.T.A.L.K.E.R style adaptation which I don't seem to like. Far Cry 2 released on 21st October in North America.

quan chi

mortal kombat
I meant only this version of Far Cry & not the original one. The original one was a master piece. This looks more like a S.T.A.L.K.E.R style adaptation which I don't seem to like. Far Cry 2 released on 21st October in North America.

please dont call the first game a master piece even though it was a hit.:D
i think the original was a mixture of doom3(though i have not played it)the monsters poping up.f.e.a.r and hitman.

though it was good but not very good.

then how its available in india now.:shock:

Last edited:

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
The original for me a something really beautifully made game. Agreed the storyline wasn't huge but it can be called a Crysis for it's time. It was so gorgeous. The AI was the toughest I have ever experienced in any game. The weapons were excellent. It was really tough to complete it as well. I loved it.

quan chi

mortal kombat
btw the first game had the cutscene of that lady in bikini taking shower under the water fall.the second thing i liked about that game.:D
is there anything like this here also.:D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom