[FAQ] Android Customization: Tips and Tricks

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
AIM: Whenever a new user tries to root his mobile or flash a custom rom, he ends up with a lot of doubt and query but without any answer. There are guides but those only show you the way to do certain things but won't explain you why that step is required. New users not only need guide but proper explanation as any improper step may cause a complete brick of their mobile. Most DEVs or frequent posters will ask them to "Google" which takes them to some other forum where the DEVs again ask them to "Google" and his causes a cycle where you jump from forum to forum without any clear answer. This FAQ will clear most of the common doubts. Remember this FAQ is written for Android users who are new to rooting and custom rom so some of the answers mayn't be prefect as they don't need to know everything.

Rooting:

Q: What is rooting?
A: Rooting is the process of getting root (also known as superuser) access on your Android device, which is otherwise restricted by the manufacturer of the device. Obtaining root access is like getting admin access on a Windows PC. You are free to fiddle with system files and settings which is usually locked away from user so they don't delete or modify them causing instability or complete malfunction.

Q: Why do I need to root my mobile?
A: If you want to get rid of the bloatwares that most Android ships with, you'll need root. Without root the system won't allow you to delete system applications as there is no uninstall option. Secondly, if you want to try a custom rom that will require you root as well. How to install custom rom will be explained in the 3rd post.

Q: What are the risks involved in rooting?
A: Rooting is usually safe as your mobile will either get rooted or not. However in rare case some system settings may get altered causing boot loop or mobile may simply get stuck in boot screen. In these case, hard reset usually doesn't work so Google a bit to be sure that you follow the correct procedure if any.

Q: What I need to do to root my mobile?
A: Simply use any of these apps below. Some are windows softwares whereas others are mobile app. In case of Windows software turn your antivirus off as some are detected as malware as the root exploit is listed as a risk item but won't cause any problem neither they ship with any virus so it is completely safe. There are many more apps that can root your mobile but these are the more frequently used ones.
  • Root MANY ANDROID!
  • SuperOneClick root
  • Gingerbreak
  • Unlock Root|mirror
  • HTC Quick Root(for HTC mobiles only)
  • Universal Rooting (Asian)
  • Multi Root Installer
Follow the instructions & you are done in the respective pages.

Q: How do I know if my mobile is rooted or not?
A: Superuser app should appear in the menu else download terminal emulator from Play store, open it and it should have a $ sign. Type su and hit enter. If you get a super user request or a # your rooted.

Q: I ran the app & my mobile is stuck at a black screen or at the manufacturer logo.
A: After rooting it may take sometime to boot your mobile for the first time. If it doesn’t boots within 5-10min, pull battery & start your mobile again. If that too doesn’t help, hard reset mobile using the key combo if any but you’ll lose root access. If that too doesn’t help, something is surely wrong. You may try manually flashing the mobile with the stock rom your manufacturer released else take it for service and act like a noob.

Q: I followed all the instruction but still my mobile is not rooted.
A: If rooting was not possible using Z4Root try the rest of the root method one by one. Reboot after every try.
Certain mobiles have NAND lock (the internal NAND memory is locked & hence can’t be changed by a third party). In case your mobile is from HTC, most rooting way will fail. Try the HTC Quick Root.
Moreover not all roms can be rooted as many of the exploits have been fixed by Google. In that case google a bit as usually downgrading the rom to an older version helps where the exploit was not fixed.

Q: What is NAND lock?
A: NAND locked (or S-ON) when the bootloader is encrypted and rooting is not possible. Even if you manage to root, it'll be temporary and when you reboot the mobile root is gone. If your mobile's bootloader is locked better check for a discussion thread in XDA, Modaco or Android forum about how to unlock the bootloader or root your mobile. Sony, HTC, Motorola has their mobile's bootloader locked.

Q: Once rooted, can i unroot my mobile?
A: Possible. Simply run the app again and it'll unroot your mobile. Though i am not sure about the mobiles with NAND lock. I'll check a bit and edit this answer accordingly.

Q: Will the service center know that i rooted my mobile?
A: Depends. If you take your mobile while still rooted, what happens next is all your fault. In you unrooted the mobile but before that removed bloatwares and the service center guy have a good know how of the what apps the mobile shipped with, then maybe yes. But most of them won't spend so much time looking for signs of rooting.

Q: If i root my mobile, will i receive official update?
A: Rooting has nothing to do with official update. Apply update and your mobile will be unrooted and most likely all bloatwares will be back.

OP
coderunknown

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
The 1-STOP Android Guide: Rooting and Custom Rom

Custom Recovery:

Q: What is recovery & custom recovery?
A: Recovery is a bootable partition that has the recovery console installed. Functionality varies from manufacturer to manufacturer as some allows updates to be flashed through recovery others don't (but all support PC Suites). In short its BIOS for Android.

Android source code is open so DEVs took it and made it compatible with unofficial updates (or custom roms, patch, etc) as well as add various options to assist in replacing system files or fixing errors or even backup the whole system.

Q: Can we install custom ROM using the bundled PC Suite?
A: NO. You can’t install custom rom using PC Suite. PC Suite can only be used to install official roms & updates. As custom roms come in .zip format whereas official roms use their own extension.

Q: How do I install custom rom?
A: To install custom rom you need a custom recovery. You need to install/flash a custom recovery first.

Q: How to install custom recovery?
A: There are many types of custom recovery present like AmonRa recovery, Team Win Recovery Project (TWRP), ClockworkMod (CWM) recovery. There are many more like MultiRom, 4ext recovery, etc but those are made for specific mobiles only.

Steps for flashing CWM Recovery:
  • Download Rom Manager from market.
  • Select Flash ClockworkMod Recovery.
  • If your mobile is supported by it, it’ll start to download the recovery. Be patient.
  • Once download is complete it’ll say Flash complete or something similar.
  • Reboot mobile.
  • Now run Rom Manager again & select Reboot into Recovery.
  • Your mobile will reboot & the following screen should appear.
    *i.imgur.com/ILPQg.png
You are done. Custom recovery is installed.

Steps for flashing AmonRA Recovery:
EASY: You can flash the recovery using CWM and you are done. How to do this is described later in the FAQ.
TRICKY: Use this only if CWM doesn't support your mobile or you are too paranoid to try CWM.

You'll need 2 files: flash image & a recovery image (recovery.img). If they are in zip format extract them first. Don't just grab recovery for any random mobile and start. Find the one for your mobile rename them to flash_image and recovery.img. Once done, copy those to your memory card and don't place it inside any folder. Now open Terminal Emulator and type the following code:
Code:
# mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock1 /system
# cat /sdcard/flash_image > /system/bin/flash_image
# chmod 755 /system/bin/flash_image
# mv /system/etc/install-recovery.sh /system/etc/install-recovery.sh.bak
# mount -o remount,ro -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock1 /system
# flash_image recovery /sdcard/original_recovery.img
your original recovery will be backed up and replaced with new recovery.

In case you want to flash back original recovery,
Code:
flash_image recovery /sdcard/original-recovery.img

Same can be done if you have managed to set up adb in your PC/Laptop. Turn USB Debugging on from Menu > Settings > Development. And check if adb detects the mobile.
Code:
adb push c:\flash_image /sdcard/
adb push c:\recovery.img /sdcard/
adb shell
su
mount -o remount, rw /system
cp /sdcard/flash_image /system/bin
cd /system/bin
chmod 777 flash_image
flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img

PS: these are codes that i used to flash recovery on my mobile (LG P500 Optimus One) and not sure if it'll work on all mobile. Confirm and double check before doing anything silly.

Q: Rom Manager says flash complete but when I select Reboot into Recovery, mobile reboots but nothing happens. Only a black screen appears.
A: Pull battery out. Reinsert battery, start mobile and again run Rom Manager & select the same. Else reflash custom recovery using rom manager.

Q: Is there risk involved when trying to flash custom recovery?
A: Yes. Risk is there. My mobile was stuck at the LG logo on 2 different occasions while using custom recovery (ClockworkMod). Usually the recovery image gets corrupted & hence mobile will get stuck at the mobile logo or display the below error message. This is the reason i suggest to use Amonra or any other recovery you can find other than ClockWorkMod recovery.

Q: I flashed recovery & now mobile is showing an error msg: fast boot started
A: Your boot/recovery image is most likely broken. There are many ways to fix this. Easiest way is to use (android debug bridge) adb. But for that you have to google yourself or create a thread in the Custom Rom subsection so that we can guide you fix this problem easily. or Flash the official rom again using PC Suite or some specific flashing tool (ODIN for Samsung, RSDLite for Motorola, KDZ for LG, etc)

Q: I don't like CWM recovery & want to try one of the other recoveries.
A:
  • Download any of the other recoveries i have listed.
  • Place it in memory card
  • Boot mobile to recovery (using rom manager or using shortcut key combo)
  • Select Apply Update from sdcard.
  • Select the zip file you have downloaded (DON'T EXTRACT IT)
  • Then simply select flash zip.
  • Reboot mobile.

I am not sure if rom manager will take you to the new recovery if you select Reboot into Recovery. If it doesn't use the 3 key combo (varies from mobile to mobile, google it)

OP
coderunknown

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod

Custom Rom:

Q: What is official rom?
A: Android rom compiled by mobile manufacturers that comes with their own themed launchers and few extra tweaks. Usually bloated with all sort of crapwares.

Q: What is custom rom?
A: In simple terms, a rom made by an user (DEV, modder; whatever you call). Usually official roms are extracted, unnecessary stuffs (in the form of bloatwares and related library files) removed, tweaks added and repacked. Or compiled from source once manufacturers release the roms source code. They are also compiled from stock android source released by Google (AOSP) or provided by a rom community such as Cyanogen team.

Q: Why should i try a custom rom?
A: Cause either your mobile manufacturer is way too lazy to push out an update or it no longer supports your mobile or cause the official rom screwed your mobile or you just want to try the latest piece of code out there.

Q: What are the advantages & disadvantages of using a custom rom over official rom?
A: Custom rom usually offers better performance as it includes various tweaks and all crapwares removed. The same can be done with stock rom too but why do the heavy lifting when custom rom is usually one stop for solving most of the problems. I'll list the advantages and disadvantages below.

Advantages:
  • Included tweaks/support for scriptes.
  • Modded kernel (allows overclocking/undervolting/custom governors).
  • More battery life.
  • Less or no bloatwares.
  • More free space.
  • Pre-rooted.
  • Many unique built in features (varies from rom to rom)

Disadvantages:
  • No warranty or official support if you screw up your mobile.
  • Custom roms are not always stable.

Q: Explain a bit more about warranty & custom rom
A: Once you install a custom rom, custom recovery, or even root your warranty is void. Of course, unrooting is as easy as running Z4Root or some rooting software again.
But remember that if you break something (remove a system app like browser, calendar) you can’t contact mobile service center to fix it for you. You’ll have to reinstall rom. Also if you brick your mobile in the process of installing something or by overclocking, you are not eligible for warranty. Though once bricked, I doubt service center will be able to know what OS the mobile was running before and should provide its services anyway.

Q: How to choose the best custom rom for my mobile?
A:
  • Go to specific XDA/Modaco/Android Forum's section dedicated to your mobile.
  • There will be list of different threads having tweaks, kernels, mods, roms, etc.
  • Check each of the rom there about their unique features & bug list.
  • Pick the one which is most stable & suites your taste.

If you are first to try a custom rom and want a good experience avoid NIGHTLIES/WEEKLIES (automated builds) and instead go rom that are thoroughly checked for bugs.

Q: I am using A rom. Can i flash B rom. Will it work?
A: Once wiped, all traces of the previous rom is gone. So if the mobile supports it (you must be a dumbass to try rom made for other mobile in yours), yes you can.

Q: What should i check before flashing a custom rom?
A:
  • Backup your contacts, sms or any other file that is saved in your mobile memory as it'll get erased during the process of flashing. I have seen numerous cases where the user forgot to sync the contacts with Google servers/backup them and later lost all the contacts.
  • Keep a copy of stock rom and a tool to flash it (all manufacturers have their own flash tools) ready. In case something goes wrong you can try to restore it to stock state.
  • CHARGE YOUR MOBILE FULL. I repeat CHARGE YOUR MOBILE FULL. In case the charge is too low flashing may get halted in between and most recovery doesn't (please correct me if i am wrong here) take charge. So you may get stuck there. Charge to at least ~70% before you flash the rom.
  • Follow the procedures. Don't try to invent your own ways of flashing. Wipe the internal space before and after flashing as stated in procedure.

Q: How to flash a custom rom?
A: Flashing rom is more or less the same irrespective of what mobile you are using. But read the instructions given in the first post of the rom thread carefully as sometimes you need to flash certain patches before & after installing rom.
Installing rom is exactly same as going from CWM to any other recovery. For the steps check the above post.

Q: How do i know if i have successfully flashed a rom?
A: A rom flashing complete or similar message should appear once the flashing process is over.

Q: While flashing a error message appears that /system/xxxx is invalid. What is this?
A: Most likely the rom you downloaded is corrupted. Else try toggling signature verification off from advanced.

Q: Once rebooted the mobile is stuck in the loading screen. Have i bricked my mobile?
A: When you flash a rom for the first time it takes around 5-10min to boot as dalvik cache is created. So wait for sometime. If still the rom doesn't boot properly, try doing a wipe of the cache/dalvik cache or better do a total wipe (excluding the memory card) from custom recovery's wipe menu.

Q: I flashed a rom but it lacks many essential apps. How can i get it?
A: Unless you are living under a rock or never ever used Android, you must have heard about Google Market/Play Store.

Q: The rom i flashed doesn't have Play Store or GMail or Gallery and many similar apps. How can i get those?
A: You'll need GAPPS (Google Apps). Download the correct version. In case you are using Android 4.0 based rom, flash the latest version. At times the rom thread may have their own GAPPS stripped down to work with it. Flash it then.

Q: When i boot my mobile a msg appears android.xxxxxxxx has stopped working. What to do?
A: Time to reflash the rom. Remember to do complete wipe.

Q: I have a mobile with a locked bootloader. How to install a rom?
A: If you have successfully flashed custom recovery, simply flash a rom of your wish.

Q: What if I want to go back to official rom after flashing a custom rom?
A: NANDROID BACKUP (or simply nand backup). Check the CWM recovery picture I have posted earlier. It has an option backup and restore. Just select it & take backup with default option. Always take backup when going from official to custom rom & even before trying any custom rom. It can save time in case you don’t like the new rom & wish to go back to the previous one. Also easier to claim warranty by restoring the stock rom.

Q: Can I copy backup folder to my PC?
A: Yes you can & it’s advised to copy it to your PC in case the memory card gets erased in the process of flashing a new rom. When you want to restore, copy the folder back to memory card & use the same option.

Q: I flashed a new rom & can no longer make any call or receive any. same for sms.
A: There are 2 possibilities:
  • Either the new rom you have flashed doesn't support your baseband. Check in the rom thread or ask the DEV.
  • Your IMEI number got replaced by some generic one. Always backup efs (encrypted file system) of your mobile before trying to flash any untested rom. This warning is specially for HTC & Samsung mobiles users.

OP
coderunknown

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod

Cyanogenmod 10.1 (Android 4.2) application list:

Note: Guide is made with Cyanogenmod 10.1 as base so some apps present in CM 7/9/10 mayn't be present here. Also as this app list is extracted from a stock CM10.1 rom for my mobile (LG P500), roms for other mobiles may have extra apps like NFC which my mobile doesn't support.

Written from scratch with total design overhaul. Enjoy :)
Green = Safe to remove
Orange = Remove with caution
Red = Do not remove

APKDescriptionRemarks
ApolloCyanogenmod music playerAlternates are available at Play Store
ApplicationsProviderProvides list of installed apps to Play Store and SearchSafe to remove
BackupRestoreConfirmationRestores sync'd Google settingsDon't remove
BasicDreamsBasic sleep mode appSafe to remove
BluetoothBluetooth appRequired to use bluetooth
BrowserBrowser appIf you don't use stock browser, remove it
CalculatorCalculator appSafe to remove
CalendarCalender storageMay break calender's remainder
CalendarProviderSync system for CalendarDon't remove if you sync calender
CellBroadcastReceiverCell broadcastsDon't remove
CertInstallerWifi certificate installerRemoving will cause WiFi to not connect or not even turn on
ChromeBookmarksSyncAdaptersyncs Chrome for Android bookmarksSafe to remove
CMFileManagerCyanogenmod file managerAlternates are available at Play Store
ContactsContact appDon't remove else there will be no contact list
ContactsProviderContacts storageAccessing stored apps will be impossible
DefaultContainerServiceRequired to install appsApps installation will get rejected
DeskClockClock and alarm appTime showing apps/widget depends on deskclock and will not work without it
DevelopmentDevelopment appSafe to remove
DownloadProviderDownload managerDon't remove
DownloadProviderUiBrowser download interfaceDownload status won't appear
DrmProviderHandles DRM for media that contains itDo not remove or you will break said media
DSPManagerEqualizer for music playerSafe to remove
EffemCyanogenmod radioSafe to remove
EmailEmail appSetting up Play Store and Phone requires this
ExchangeEmail transport systemSafe to remove
FusedLocationProtects internal memory against unauthorized editsDon't remove
Galaxy4Live wallpaperSafe to remove
Gallery2Android GalleryAlternates are available in Play Store
GoogleBackupTransportHandles backup of settingsSafe to remove
GoogleCalendarSyncAdaptersync system for CalendarHandles the Calander sync, don't remove it if you sync your Calander
GoogleContactsSyncAdaptersync system for ContactsHandles the Contact sync, don't remove it if you sync your Contacts
GoogleLoginServiceGoogle login systemLogin will fail, don't remove
GoogleServicesFrameworkProvides account information to Google appsDon't remove
HoloSpiralWallpaperLive wallpaperSafe to remove
HTMLViewerUsed by browser to filter HTMLSafe to remove
HwaSettingsHardware acceleration controlSafe to remove
InputDevicesInput devicesSafe to remove
KeyChainPassword toolDon't remove
LatinIMEStock on-screen keyboardCan be removed if another keyboard is installed
LiveWallpapersLive wallpaperSafe to remove
LiveWallpapersPickerSelect Live wallpaperRemove it if you don't use live wallpapers
LockClockLockscreen clock widgetMay break lockscreen
MagicSmokeWallpapersLive WallpaperSafe to remove
MediaProviderHandles ringtones, notifications, etcDon't remove
MmsSMS/MMS appOther sms apps like GOSMS depend on this and won't work if this one is missing
NetworkLocationProvides location info through network instead of gpsDon't remove
NoiseFieldLive wallpaperSafe to remove
PackageInstallerUsed to install appsDon't remove
PhaseBeamLive wallpaperSafe to remove
PhonePhone dialerDon't Remove
PhotoTablePhoto screensaverSafe to remove
PicoTtsSpeech search enginesSafe to remove
PlayStoreAndroid Play StoreRequired to download and install apps/games
ProvisionSet date and time at first bootMay cause date and time to get shown incorrectly
QuickSearchBoxSearch box widgetSearch button won't work properly
SettingsSystem SettingsSetting will force close
SettingsProviderSettings storageDon't remove
SetupWizardWizard to setup mobileMay break the Android system
SharedStorageBackupRelated to sd card storageSafe to remove
SoundRecorderSound recorder appSafe to remove
SparePartsExtra settings for CyanogenmodCan be downloaded from Play Store
StkSim Tool KitRequired if you use SIM applications
SystemUI Part of the user interfaceDon't remove
TalkGoogle TalkCan be downloaded from Play Store
TelephonyProviderPhone systemDon't remove
TermTerminal EmulatorCan be downloaded from Play Store
ThemeChooserCyanogenmod theme systemSystem themes can't be selected anymore
ThemeManagerCyanogenmod theme systemWill cause force close theme when you try to open it
TrebuchetCyanogenmod's default launcherBefore removing install another launcher else there won't be any homescreen
UserDictionaryProviderDictionary for keyboardWords won't be suggested
VideoEditorMovie studioSafe to remove
VisualizationWallpapersLive wallpaperSafe to remove
VoiceDialerVoice dialingSafe to remove
VpnDialogsVPN systemIf you don't use virtual private network, remove it
WAPPushManagerTethering connectivityIf you use any other tethering app, remove it

OP
coderunknown

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod

FAQ for Android application removal:

Q: Will internal space increase if i remove apps?
A: Memory of a mobile is pre-partitioned. So removing apps won't increase it but if some applications were installed in internal memory while flashing rom then that memory may get free'd up. Or the memory freed will be in system partition (memory reserved for rom or system folder).

Q: Then what is the advantage of removing apps?
A: More battery. Some apps will run when you start the mobile and causes battery drain. Removing those will free up ram as well as load on the system. So expect a small increment in battery life. Moreover if you were not able to run scripts due to lack of memory in /system, it'll be possible now.

Q: Can i remove apps from stock rom also?
A: Possible but stock rom ships with a lot of custom designed app or bloatwares. Moreover some of the exclusive apps are dependent on the official Google apps so deleting these apps may break dependency so do it at your own risk.

Q: Why do we need to cleanup a custom rom when they are designed for stability, battery life and to be free from bloatwares?
A: Even if a custom rom is designed to be free of bloatwares, they ship with a lot of apps that one mayn't need. Eg: terminal emulator, sim toolkit, voice search, live wallpapers. You mayn't need any of these so getting rid of them is a good idea. This will shorten your menu also.

Q: What are the possible side affects of removing apk's from a rom?
A: If you delete an important application file, you'll get FC as soon as mobile boots or try launching some service/application. If you remove he launcher (the homescreen with the dock) the mobile will turn on without any kind of status bar or dock nor icons making it impossible to install any new launcher. So double check before removing any application from stock or custom rom.

Q: Any precautions to follow before removing apps?
A: ALWAYS take NANDROID backup. In case some app causes the system to stop working properly, reflashing rom and installing all app can be quite a PITA. So simply restore the last nandroid backup and you are back to previous state.

Q: How can i know which files i should remove?
A: Read the remarks part. I have added simple and description for most of the apps.

Q: Can deleted apks be restored?
A: As Android has no recycle bin (or i am not aware of any) apps once deleted is gone. But if you get hold of it, it can be pushed to the required directory.

Q: Any alternate way to remove apk other than using a file manager?
A: Open the downloaded rom.zip file (don't extract, simply open) using any zip/rar software and browse to system/app/ And there you have the apps. Extract them, remove the unnecessary ones and then add it back to zip or simply delete the useless apps from zip. You can even add your own apps to /system/apps or replace existing ones with new version (like updated Play Store).

Q: In the app list, what is the difference between Safe to remove and Remove with caution?
A: Safe to Remove contain files that you can remove without impacting your mobiles usability. Also alternates are present in Play Store (mentioned) so you can replace the removed app with a new or different one. Whereas as Remove with caution can hamper certain usability depending on what you remove. Eg: Remove Theme manager and Themes from Settings menu will FC if you try opening it.

Q: Can i integrate GAPPS and Rom into a single package?
A: yes you can as i have done it for my own convenience multiple times. Just remember to store the files from GAPPs in the exact folder of the rom. files from /system/app in GAPPS goes to /system/app in ROM.

Q: What else can i remove from a rom?
A: You can remove media files, certain library files as well as TTS (text to speech) folder.

OP
coderunknown

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod

Android Terminology & Lingo:

PS: This is not my work, rather a copy paste. I'll edit and post a modified post whenever i get time.

adb: Android Debug Bridge, a versatile tool lets you manage the state of an emulator instance or Android-powered device

ADK: Android Development Kit, What people use to develop anything for the droid such as ROM's

Baseband: In communications and signal processing, the baseband describes signals and systems whose range of the frequencies measured from close to 0 hertz to a cut-off frequency, a maximum bandwidth or highest signal frequency; it is sometimes used to describe frequencies starting close to zero

Boot Loader: State in which the droid can be flashed from RSD with an appropriate .sdk file that reprograms the phone into a specific ROM or update. This is typically a last resort when the recovery screen cannot be reached to make a much simpler and less risky solution

Boot Loop: simply means something is preventing the phone from completing it's boot cycle and is stuck between the boot animation and the unlock screen, creating a looped animation. This is often fixed by either reloading a Nandroid, or Reflashing a rom from the Boot Loader.

Brick or Bricked: Jargon for a completely unrecoverable device, (no more than a brick or paperweight)

Bug or Software Bug: an Error or flaw in software that produces a failure or unexpected/unwanted result. Typically created from incorrect code, this is why some ROMs are better and smoother running than others because certain developers have taken the time to input "perfect" code

Busybox: BusyBox is a single multicall binary that packages the functionality of most widely used standard Unix tools, BusyBox provides a fairly complete environment for any small or embedded system.

ClockworkMod: A recovery program that is often used to apply updates, ROMs, or create a back up or restore a backup file

De-odex: Apk files have respective odexes that devs use to supposedly save space. Deodexing means you convert it back to a .dex file and put it back inside the apk. This allows you to easily replace files (not having to worry about odexes), but the main point was to deodex services.jar so that you can change all text to different colors (such as the clock color to white) and to deodex services.jar, you need to deodex everything.

Dev. or Developer: An individual that creates, or alters a file in such a manner as to advance the program

Flash or Flash Memory: a program technology that can be electrically erased and reprogrammed

Froyo: Short for Frozen Yogurt, is the latest iteration (2.2) of Android, Google's mobile operating system.

Kernel: The governor of the CPU usage and Battery output, one can upload certain Kernels to achieve greater performance speed of their device at the cost of some battery life

Root: Common word associated with giving a user "super user" access to their phones programming and other various aspects that would normally not be possible, also known as "Jailbroken" for iPhone's

Nandroid or Nandroid Backup: A file typically created in the custom recovery program, such as SPRecovery, that is a carbon copy of whatever state your phone is in before a drastic change is made. the file then can be moved onto or off of the SD card for later use in case something should go wrong in the ROM or Update, or a Boot Loop occurs

OS: Operating system, I.E. Windows Vista or MAC or ANDROID

OTA: Over the air...

Overclocking: Speeding up the CPU past the factory presets to achieve a faster and more responsive device

ROM: Read Only Memory, a program used to make changes to anything from the look of the home screen, to icons to custom boot animation

RSD or RSD lite: Remote Software Download, Motorola's own tool in flashing virtualy any type of program, (so long as its in .sbf form) to the Android OS

Shell or SSH: secure shell or ssh is a network protocol that allows data to be exchanged using a secure channel between two networked devices

SPR or SPRecovery: A recovery program that is often used to apply updates, ROMs, or create a back up or restore a backup file

Stock: Simply means an unaltered state, such as when you first purchase your phone from Verizon, or when you do a factory reset

SU: "Super user", or root permissions

Theme: A set of icons, backgrounds and app trays that change the ascthetics of the overall look of the droid and its applications

TUN/TAP: Refers to a network Tunnel, operates within layer 3 packets, or ip packets. Packets sent by a system via a TUN/TAP device are delivered to a user-space program that attaches itself to the device. A user space program may also pass packets into a TUN/TAP device. In this case TUN/TAP device delivers (or "injects") these packets to the operating system's network stack thus emulating their reception from an external source.

Underclocking: Slowing down the CPU mainly to limit battery usage

.sbf: Summation Briefcase File

.apk or APK's: An .apk file extension denotes an Android Package (APK) file, an .apk file can be opened and inspected using common archive tools

.tar: Similar to a zip file, a tar file archives multiple files into one file

.tgz: TGZ files are commonly used as install packages for Slackware Linux.

Source: Glossary 1 & Glossary 2. Thanks a lot to Vyom for the link :)

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Re: Noobs Guide to rooting and installing custom rom

Nice guide. Subscribed.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
re: [FAQ] Rooting, Custom Recovery, Custom Rom and Android Glossary

Nice Sam!

I am glad to be a part since I did ask some noob questions myself! ;)
Your article would get better with time if everyone puts their suggestions.

BTW, I must tell you, maybe I wouldn't have attempted to root if I had read this article before, because of those disclaimers! :D

Also, I have came across some more queries:
What’s the best app to take screenshots? Drocap2 and ShootMe are not available in market.

You have said,
Moreover a new app, SuperUser should appear in your applicataion list if your mobile gets rooted successfully.
But no such app appeared after I rooted my phone. So I don’t think it can be regarded as a full proof method to check if your device has root.

Last edited:

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member

Tried many app but shootme is the best :D

Grab shootme :)

Uploaded it at Multiupload.com - upload your files to multiple file hosting sites!

a_medico

Chillum Baba

Interesting thread.

Can you highlight the steps in rooting following devices:

1) HCL ME X1 tablet ( android 2.3)

2) Tata Cdma mobile - Samsung galaxy pop (Android 2.2)

The second one is especially difficult to root as far as I know. Not much research into it yet from what I have read.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin

Tried many app but shootme is the best :D
Grab shootme :)
Uploaded it at Multiupload.com - upload your files to multiple file hosting sites!

Thanks buddy! :)

Interesting thread.
Can you highlight the steps in rooting following devices:
1) HCL ME X1 tablet ( android 2.3)
2) Tata Cdma mobile - Samsung galaxy pop (Android 2.2)
The second one is especially difficult to root as far as I know. Not much research into it yet from what I have read.

I have found the following for HCL Me X1. Looks like you will have to use ADB shell. All the best.
My Tech Blog - Gautam: Rooting & Unrooting HCL Me X1

For Galaxy Pop: Try this: Official GB 2.3.6 for Indian Galaxy Pop + Root Access - xda-developers

OP
coderunknown

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod

Nice Sam!

I am glad to be a part since I did ask some noob questions myself! ;)
Your article would get better with time if everyone puts their suggestions.

Your "noob" questions encouraged me to write this guide. Yup, need suggestions. As this is a FAQ (not a guide actually) more the number of questions, the better.

BTW, I must tell you, maybe I wouldn't have attempted to root if I had read this article before, because of those disclaimers! :D

:lol: and i deliberately didn't tell you about the risk of bricking as it'll unnecessarily create doubts about rooting & custom rom.

Also, I have came across some more queries:
What’s the best app to take screenshots? Drocap2 and ShootMe are not available in market.

krishnandu have already posted a link. or check XDA. They have a thread dedicated to ShootMe.

But no such app appeared after I rooted my phone. So I don’t think it can be regarded as a full proof method to check if your device has root.

when you first ran titanium backup, were you asked about allowing superuser permission?

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin

when you first ran titanium backup, were you asked about allowing superuser permission?

Yes, it aksed. And it also ask for any app that required root access.

But still, there's no such application with the name, "Superuser", on my phone. :(

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin

Update: @Sam: Accidently I did saw an app called, Superuser. :oops:
But it was in System app section and not in the probable Downloads section. Hence missed it.
And the app shows a list of the apps which have bee granted root access! Very useful.

OP
coderunknown

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod

You have done a fabulous job Sam
Keep it up

Yes, it aksed. And it also ask for any app that required root access.

But still, there's no such application with the name, "Superuser", on my phone. :(

Update: @Sam: Accidently I did saw an app called, Superuser. :oops:
But it was in System app section and not in the probable Downloads section. Hence missed it.
And the app shows a list of the apps which have bee granted root access! Very useful.

i have rooted my mobile many times & each time this app appears. else how can you allow #su to apps?

acidCow

Broken In

Heys guys, just bought a Neo V after a months research on the best phone available. I updated my firmware to 4.0.2.A.0.62 which is not root-able by the method shown here : [TUT][NEO V ] Flashing, Rooting, ADB drivers, ClockWork-Mod Installation - xda-developers
2) Rooting

OFF TOPIC : New firmware available 4.0.2.A.0.62DO NOT UPDATE TO THIS FIRMWARE MANY USERS ARE REPORTING ROOTING PROBLEMS

Thanks for the heads up Vimjam
ORIGINAL THREAD AND CREATOR IS DOOMLORD
Thank him HERE

Download THIS *Rooting Files
LINK

And extract it
Connect your Device to PC

Before u begin:
(1) make sure u have installed adb drivers for ur device
(2) enable "USB DEBUGGING"
from (Menu\Settings\Applications\Development)
(3) enable "UNKNOWN SOURCES"
from (Menu\Settings\Applications)
(4) [OPTIONAL] increase screen timeout to 10 minutes
(5) connect USB cable to PHONE and then connect to PC
(6) skip "PC Companion Software" prompt on device

And then Run "runme.bat"
Then Hit key " 1 "

Wait for a while
And you are now rooted

Credit- DOOMLORD

How do i root my phone? Can I use any of the methods listed in this thread?
BTW, This is my first android.!

Top Bottom