[FAQ] Android Customization: Tips and Tricks

choudang

Padawan
Re: [FAQ] Rooting, Custom Recovery, Custom Rom and Android Glossary

mini has 320 MB internal storage, and she is using 8 gb instead of default 2 GB.

OP
coderunknown

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod

but that doesn't help. by default Android will install apps to internal memory. and as all apps can't be moved. also even if an app can be moved, a small section is left in internal memory.

Neo

^^ Root is required for changing that setting. CyanogenMod has that setting inbuilt.
Apps2sd is the best solution for that.

sameer.pur

The Chosen One

can we change that default setting?
Yes you can, without root also.. :mrgreen:
But be warned, that you are warned.. :wink:
  • Requirements
    1. An Android Device (Obviously.. :p) (Root not required)
    2. USB Cable
    3. A PC (Any OS will do Windows, Mac or Linux)
    4. Android SDK or replacement for ADB (Install android sdk from official site. Use drivers for your device)
  • Steps
    1. Run command prompt or terminal
    2. use command 'adb devices' (will show list of connected devices) (you should have android sdk's path/platform-tools in your classpath)
    3. use command 'adb shell' (will open a $ prompt)
    4. use command 'pm setInstallLocation 2' ( will set default install location to sd card :D) (0 for auto, 1 for internal, 2 for sd card :razz:)
Now whatever new apps you install will be installed to sd card. they will still take space on internal memory though for dalvik cache, app-cache, private-cache etc. :)

Note-> If you want to revert back to original use option 0 in step 4.
I am not in any way responsible if your phone transforms into a autobot or decepticon.. :twisted:

Serious Note-> I have seen some weird behavior with this, apps which are set to install in sd card by default (i.e. games like angry bird), are installed in internal. You could just move them to external though. My advice would be to use this command to enable moving to sd card and then revert back. :oops:

Neo

o_O thanks, btw. That sounds risky or is it? I think i used that before, a year or so.

sameer.pur

The Chosen One

o_O thanks, btw. That sounds risky or is it? I think i used that before, a year or so.
Actually I believe it's still safer than app2sd/data2sd scripts.
You won't lose warranty for this. :p

ysmonyog

Journeyman

My SGS GT I9000 (rooted) has 2.3.3 firmware (baseband I9000ddjv5, Build Gingerbread ddjv9).
Can I update with this NEW Value Pack XXJW4 2.3.6 (I9000XXJW4_I9000OXAJW4_XEU)? Will it work in India?

Last edited:

theserpent

Firecracker to the moon

Suggest some good roms for galaxy MINI(Pop)

gcbeldar

In the zone

I am new to Android, I bought LG 2x p990. Using from last 2 months.
I am quit happy with my p990 except Battery Life.

After using GO SMS Pro, I want to make default message app. and want to remove default message app.

Can I uninstall some unwanted app like car home, email, google+, music etc

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member

I'd suggest you not to remove the default messaging app. It may affect the functionality of the device. Though if you want to try it, I'd highly suggest you to take a backup of it using Titanium Backup and then remove it. So that in case of any fault you may restore it.

You can remove apps like Car Home, Email, Google+, Music etc.

use titanium backup for removing those. Ofcourse don't forget to take backup before removing any app.

OP
coderunknown

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod

ah, don't remove email. if you ever need to set email again (read hard reset) then you'll be in big trouble. though removing any specific email client like GMail or YahooMail should be safe. Don't simply kick out apps. Google a bit first.

gcbeldar

In the zone

Thanks to all, Is rooting necessary to remove default app ?
Because, I am not getting uninstall option for this app.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Thanks to all, Is rooting necessary to remove default app ?
Because, I am not getting uninstall option for this app.

By default app, I think you mean stock app.
Yes rooting is necessary to remove stock apps. And if after rooting also you don't get uninstall option then you will have to try titanium backup to remove it.

gcbeldar

In the zone

By default app, I think you mean stock app.
Yes rooting is necessary to remove stock apps. And if after rooting also you don't get uninstall option then you will have to try titanium backup to remove it.

Sir, After rooting can remove default "Contact, Dialer & Message App" and replace with Go Contact, Go Dialer and Go Message ?

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin

Sir, After rooting can remove default "Contact, Dialer & Message App" and replace with Go Contact, Go Dialer and Go Message ?

You can still use Go Contact, Go Dialer and Go Message without removing the stock apps.
Removing those stock apps is not recommended, since it can cause instability to the OS.

gcbeldar

In the zone

With Go Luncher Ex I am able to make "Go Contact/Message" as default. But my P990 starts lagging by 50%

var_vajpayee

Right off the assembly line

hey bro,
i m new to android phns just 1.5 yrs......I have read all the forums about rooting!!
I have a Lg Optimus me P350 & i want to root my phone!
I have used the apps z4root, gingerbreak, superoneclick but it did'nt work.In gingerbreak & z4root it just goes on but nthin happens and also no bysybox or superuser is installed .

Pls help me with this.

Thnx.

gcbeldar

In the zone

How to root My Friends HTC Wildfire running 2.2.1?

Top Bottom