OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
I’m loving Fallout 4. Wandering the wasteland, poking around in abandoned buildings, listening to chirpy ‘50s pop, fighting mutants. It’s a great game to lose yourself in on a cold winter’s evening. But as a role-playing experience I’m finding it disappointingly weak—to the point where I wouldn’t even call it an RPG. An open-world action game with role-playing elements would be a more accurate description.

The same could be applied to other Bethesda games, which are often described as being as broad as an ocean and as deep as a puddle. But Fallout 4 feels like their most restrictive game yet in terms of customisation, choice, and dialogue. The protagonist doesn’t feel like my character. The things I say don’t seem to matter. My high charisma is used to squeeze a few extra caps out of quest-givers and little else.

The term ‘RPG’ is pretty loose. We could argue for days about what is and what isn’t. But for me, an important part of any good RPG is being able to create and shape a character that’s unique to you. My Fallout 4 vault dweller, however, is vaguely the same as everyone else’s—he just wears a different hat. I mean, it’s a really nice hat. An ushanka I found in a bin. But it’s not enough. There’s no feeling of ownership.

The restrictions of the new dialogue wheel and the addition of a voiced protagonist have stripped away any chance to give your character a distinct personality. They’re either a good guy, or a sarcastic good guy. The single voice on offer is so obviously tailored to fit a generic-looking white guy—like the one they used in the E3 demo—that it sounds weird coming out of anyone else. These limitations feel out of place in a game that offers so much freedom elsewhere. I feel more attached to the rickety old shack I built in Sanctuary than the boring, unfunny dude I’m playing as.

Fallout 4: good game, bad RPG - PC Gamer

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
Beach are bad. Just fought a Mirelurk Queen. Too big for my taste. Fight abandoned.
Deathclaw can live in really tight space. Killed one (thanks to Preston) on the ground floor of a hollow building.
Found message in a bottle (mission) !?! Reminds me of Borderlands 2 DLC where you get mission same way.
Synth can appear in the most strange of places. Some even protected by super mutants.
Piper always gets high whenever she spots an enemy then goes down soon after. Will romance then dump her.

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Beach are bad. Just fought a Mirelurk Queen. Too big for my taste. Fight abandoned.
Deathclaw can live in really tight space. Killed one (thanks to Preston) on the ground floor of a hollow building.
Found message in a bottle (mission) !?! Reminds me of Borderlands 2 DLC where you get mission same way.
Synth can appear in the most strange of places. Some even protected by super mutants.
Piper always gets high whenever she spots an enemy then goes down soon after. Will romance then dump her.

Max your Gun Nut perk and add .50 cal receivers on your weapons. Then watch them drop like flies.

Cyberghost

Federal Agent Area 51
Staff member
Max your Gun Nut perk and add .50 cal receivers on your weapons. Then watch them drop like flies.

I maxed the Gun nut perk and modified a hunting rifle in to a powerful 0.5 recon suppressed sniper rifle. I use this gun to kill my own allies especially Brotherhood to get fusion cells and stimpaks :)

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
I am yet to max it out. Been putting points into Charisma to pass speech checks. Mostly because I don't like surprises and I want full info before I do some task for someone.

Cyberghost

Federal Agent Area 51
Staff member
PC Gamer: How to make console command presets in Fallout 4

- - - Updated - - -

Completed the game sided with the Institute,Railroad and Brotherhood of Steel. Done all of the side quests except Cait's and Maccready's,completed more than 50 Misc. quests. Finally I can say that the game is not worth 3k. Buy it on sale when the base game + season pass hits less than ₹500

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
I currently have a Legendary silenced .50 cal pipe pistol. I can kill even high level enemies with one headshot and still maintain my stealth.

Makes me feel like Metal Gear Solid.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
This is the only game I'm having problem playing on 4GB RAM. Looks like I need an upgrade.

I upgraded because Dragon age inquisition was giving me problems :D

- - - Updated - - -

I currently have a Legendary silenced .50 cal pipe pistol. I can kill even high level enemies with one headshot and still maintain my stealth.

Makes me feel like Metal Gear Solid.

Ive been using a .50 silenced pipe pistol too, but i upgraded to a legendary silenced bolt action .50 cal hunting rifle, damage is now through the roof and it has a much better reload (per shot) and (magazine) than pipe pistol..
Im also using a incendiary minigun while power armoring and a .45 cal auto combat rifle

Nerevarine

Incarnate
im using the official ENB, just to force video memory size to 4 GB even though I only have 2 GB, it fixed all the bugs i had with ugly textures

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
When you go to Covenant you have to give a test where you are options based on your intelligence and stuff. The questions are mostly based around the GOAT test in Fallout 3.

- - - Updated - - -

*i.imgur.com/WYEVkwO.jpg

Now waiting for someone to make Space Marine armor.

Top Bottom