Budget Android mobile Poll2

• LG Optimus One

Votes: 25 75.8%
  • Samsung Galaxy 551

Votes: 8 24.2%

• Total voters

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
Started this poll as Galaxy3 & Optimus1 can't be compared directly as both differ in price from 500 to 2000 in some place but the Galaxy 551 & Optimus One are of same price (LG O1 at 12,599 vs G551 @ 12,799, ignore the small price difference).

so guys, vote for the mobile you think is the perfect budget Android. below are specs of Galaxy 551 in comparison to LG O1, to ease out the strength & weaknesses of both at the same time:

*mynewmachine.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/LGOptimusOneP500.jpg *mynewmachine.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/samsunggalaxy551.jpg

Screen: both 3.2" but Galaxy 551 has resolution of 240 X 400 vs 320 X 480. but Galaxy 551 packs in 16M colour but Optimus One uses a 266M screen (not much of a difference).

OS: both runs on the 2nd latest Android version (as on time writing this poll) i.e. Android 2.2 aka Froyo. but Samsung uses touchwiz 3.0 UI over the stock Android UI, while LG packs the LG launcher (homescreen taskbar).

Connectivity: both have 3G (HSDPA @ 7.2Mbps) & Wifi b/g (GSM Arena & flipkart states that Samsung one have "n" bandwidth coverage also, if someone can please verify this)

Processing Power: Samsung 551 has processor running at 667Mhz along with 256Mb ram & inhouse graphics compared to LG Optimus One's 600Mhz Qualcomm processor with 512Mb ram & Adreno 200 graphics (which is better than the graphics of its competitor).

Input: LG Optimus One have 4 H/W keys (for the menu, home, search & back) but relies on on-screen keyboard for the main inputting. Galaxy 551 have 3 keys (menu, home & back) but have a H/W keyboard with 4 rows of keys (H/W keyboard is always better than onscreen keyboard).

Camera: both have a 3.2Mp camera with just autofocus. no flash, no lens cover. but LG O1 captures video at 18FPS but Galaxy 551's FPS isn't mentioned, but taken as 15FPS same as G3. in short, video caught from both these mobiles, SUCKS.

Battery Life: not taking in the talktime & standbytime as stated by their respective companies, LG Optimus One usually lasts for around 2days with moderate usage under best scenario thanks to its 1500mah battery. Samsung Galaxy3 (i know what i talking) lasts for 1.5days if used with the stock firmware (cause of some battery bug, modded firmware based on Froyo resolves it). it too uses a 1500mah battery. but Galaxy 551 uses a 1200mah battery (to make space for the H/W keyboard). so i don't expect more than 1.5days of battery life under best scenario (Froyo is optimized for speed & memory. indirectly increasing battery life. also a touchscreen being used eats more power than a touchscreen + H/W keys).

Weight: LG Optimus One weights just below 130gram which many may consider heavy. well Samsung Galaxy 551 goes 1 step ahead (actually 2 step) & weights at 156gram (well quite heavy). the extra weight is definitely from the H/W keyboard.

so basically this is it. please don't discuss about service provided by both or upgrade to newer OS as nobody can guarantee about the service one will get or when they'll be updated to newer OS. when they are released, i'll edit my post. thank you & let the poll begin.

pauldmps

Banned
Where is the poll by-the-way ?

Since no reviews are available yet for the 551, it is difficult to judge only by the specs. Still if we consider the features to be equivalent to the Galaxy 3, I'll vote for the 551 for overall aspects (including Samsung's reliability over LG)

Last edited:

utkarsh009

In the zone
had the battery been better and also resolution been better, i would have supported galaxy 551 but since optimus one is better in this field, i support it. its battery is very good. i am an owner of this awesome phone. hardware keyboard is not a matter of concern for me as i don't send too many messages. so it's no point for me to take hardware keyboard as it increases the weight too much. also 16M screen is better than 265k but battery and resolution are much more important for me. also 512 MB RAM is certainly better than 256 MB RAM!!!!!!

krates

Be CoOl rAp RuLeZ !!!
I can type faster on a capacitive touch then a hardware keyboard So I will blindly go for optimus one!

sujoyp

Grand Master
I wont compare it spec to spec... if somebody wants qwerty keyboard he should go for samsung 551

But if qwerty keyboard is left aside I would vote LG optimus one for its better resolution, better graphic chip and more RAM

OP
coderunknown

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
i choose optimus one mainly cause of better battery life & higher resolution screen. had Samsung used a higher resolution screen, even 14k looks for such a mobile. sadly, Samsung yet to learn.

rsk11584

Journeyman
i am in a very big dilemma as to go with which one???? as i have closely shortlisted to these two phones,,,,

Samsung 551 has the wifi n capability.... and QWERTY keypad,,,

also one advice from some tech person 667 Mhz with 256 RAM is better or 600 Mhz with 512 RAM,,, :-|

pauldmps

Banned
^^ Obviously, the 512 mb ram would be still better even with a bit slower processor(as like with a pc).

But since I have no hands-on experience with phones, I can't understand how much important ram is for a phone.

(Sometimes I fell so weird that 5 yrs. ago,I I bought a pc with 256 mb ram & now smartphones have double of that.)

NainO

Believe Me or Not!!!
@rsk
Both phones works smoothly, thus processing power is same. So I think phone with better RAM and good resolution is way to go (as long as QWERTY is not a must needed feature)
And about wifi-n take a look at gsmarena's artical on wifi-n and bluetooth 3.0 :)

@paul
I know that, even I had a PC with mere 128 MB of RAM 7-8 years ago :-D

OP
coderunknown

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
i used to have a PC with 256Mb ram where i used to play FEAR (slide show FPS). i hope O1 can perform better :smile:

rsk11584

Journeyman
Bought Samsung Galaxy 551 at 13400 Rs,, now awaiting to explore its features,,, and download lots and lots of android applications , games, widgets etc please suggest me some site where i can download lots of apps, also does this phone need antivirus?

souvikroy1111

Broken In
Bought Samsung Galaxy 551 at 13400 Rs,, now awaiting to explore its features,,, and download lots and lots of android applications , games, widgets etc please suggest me some site where i can download lots of apps, also does this phone need antivirus?

plz post your reviews

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
I would pick Samsung 551. After using landscape qwerty on n900, I favour this kind of keypads now.

me1

Broken In
I think its an upgrade over galaxy 3 for those who complained that galaxy3 looks like its plastic and is unattractive.

i choose optimus one mainly cause of better battery life & higher resolution screen. had Samsung used a higher resolution screen, even 14k looks for such a mobile. sadly, Samsung yet to learn.

you always talk about battery life. why? do you have a free voice plan? unlimited calls?

battery shouldn't be such a big criteria. carry your charger with you.

:x it annoys me that a post i make after 7 hours get merged as double post.

look my first post here was around 1 pm in the afternoon, its 2 am the next day and my post is merged

Last edited:

gagan007

Uhu, Not Gonna Happen!
^^I don't believe it...nobody has free voice plans or unlimited calls but the time we all spend online on our mobiles because we cannot carry our computer or laptops everywhere makes battery drain faster. I always check my gmail and facebook on my mobile on the go. It consumes battery! I am surprised to see such post!

It is also not feasible or look OK to plug in charger everywhere...so it is a big criteria to have good battery life! duh man...this is basic!

utkarsh009

In the zone
@gagan007: correct gagan. Batteries should be the primary criteria for selecting a mobile phone. If it was not important I would have bought spice mi300!!!!!!!!!

me1

Broken In
^^I don't believe it...nobody has free voice plans or unlimited calls but the time we all spend online on our mobiles because we cannot carry our computer or laptops everywhere makes battery drain faster. I always check my gmail and facebook on my mobile on the go. It consumes battery! I am surprised to see such post!

That is called Humor! Duh!
Perhaps, I should be surprised that some of them here didn't it.

It is also not feasible or look OK to plug in charger everywhere...so it is a big criteria to have good battery life! duh man...this is basic
Whoa! I didn't know!!! (This is sarcastic, btw. I'm sure you wouldn't have understood)

That said, its not such a big deal either. Don't you carry yours with you? Dont you charge in your car? don't you carry your charger to your university or work place?
I'm on GPRS all the time, I charge in my car when I am traveling. I also have more than one phone (gprs enabled), and a laptop(datacard internet).

OP
coderunknown

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
I think its an upgrade over galaxy 3 for those who complained that galaxy3 looks like its plastic and is unattractive.

but from looks, its almost same. yes, 1 difference which i noticed (correct me if i missed) is G551 isn't glossy like G3. which is good. as it won't shine in your face while using it outside.

you always talk about battery life. why? do you have a free voice plan? unlimited calls?

other gave their own opinion & my opinion isn't any different still as you asked something, so replying. first of all, Android is power hungry. many services run in Android all the time. with Nokia, one can get 2-3days of backup. with Android, 2 days at max (under light usage). now these mobiles (sub 15k Androids) will mostly be brought by students & college goers. and, forget calls, most will use it to access net, music, videos, games, etc. and these are all heavy tasks. will drain battery empty by evening time.

now the problem. a new battery, if providing 2 days backup will offer backup of around 1-1.5days after 6month. so under heavy use, current mobiles will have juice in their battery till afternoon. than? :|

battery shouldn't be such a big criteria. carry your charger with you.

yes, for most it isn't. for those who work or stays at home, it isn't. but for students (most of us here are). it matters as much as aesthetics.

it annoys me that a post i make after 7 hours get merged as double post.

look my first post here was around 1 pm in the afternoon, its 2 am the next day and my post is merged

:lol: complain to admin about it.

It is also not feasible or look OK to plug in charger everywhere...so it is a big criteria to have good battery life!

yes. that true. i never carried my mobile charger to college (maybe only once i did).

That said, its not such a big deal either. Don't you carry yours with you? Dont you charge in your car? don't you carry your charger to your university or work place?

for those who work, its easy. but for us, students, we don't own a car :smile:

Top Bottom