Engineering Education in India

Status
Not open for further replies.

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness
^^ Exactly. Quality starts to diminish, no-proper-knowledge doctors and engineers and it is everywhere in india.

Govt has to limit the number of engg seats and it must be hard to get in, say if you have enough passion and knowledge you can pursue. In that way, the quality of students will be good

1993gregory

Where's my M4A1
Guys its nt abt the college. Its about most of the people's mentality.
I just passed 12th and got into chemistry hons from st stephens(DU), which is a great university, whereas many of my friends are trying for eng colleges.
Only three guys i know are joining DU of going for Bsc from my school.
Rest all are for eng, its a fact that there are 13 lac seats in india for eng and only 12 lac appear for the exam.
Everyone i know thinks without eng you wont go anywhere specially if you are a boy.
A guy from my school said focus on eng exams rather than on 12th boards cause u wont get anywhere with boards.
I asked that guy why do you think like that and he replied "Dude only if you do Eng. you will get a decent job and a decent package".
ts our mentality that needs to change if so many people hadnt gone for eng the no of colleges would have been less and the quality would have been good.

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
Govt has to limit the number of engg seats and it must be hard to get in, say if you have enough passion and knowledge you can pursue. In that way, the quality of students will be good
It is actually bloody hard to get into a QUALITY Engineering college. The problem is the average colleges imparting shite quality of education.

AcceleratorX

Youngling
^It's not just the people, it's the industries too - does anyone seriously think a B.Tech degree is required for the kind of jobs "engineers" do in industries today?

Sales engineering, product testing, coding, measurement - all this needs an engineering degree? Any rudimentary degree will suffice for such tasks. Yet, the industry is unwilling to accept it.........

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
Sales engineering, product testing, coding, measurement - all this needs an engineering degree? Any rudimentary degree will suffice for such tasks. Yet, the industry is unwilling to accept it.........
They do this only because they have enough "Engineers" to choose from. If Engineers were scarce, then I can bet they would have hired people with general degrees.

mitraark

Decrepit
I just passed 12th and got into chemistry hons from st stephens(DU)

THAT IS GREAT !!! Congratulations. If anyone asks you why you didn;t take Engineering , just laugh in your mind :D

Unfortunately , such is the demand for Engineering among everyone nowadays , people are opening COlleges like it is a business , and many students get in by giving 'donations' ...

nims11

BIOS Terminator
i made my mind in class 9th itself that i was gonna do engg in CS and no other branch. everyone else in my family was a commerce student and most of my cousins were commerce students too. so it was completely my own decision.

goto *ccb.nic.in/ccb2011/AieeeCouns/Result/InstituteWiseAllotment3.aspx and see how many choices people have. there is a guy who had bio tech at mesra in choice number 93!!! compare it to my case, i had made only 5 choices (all CS).

btw i am going to BIT MESRA (Comp sc). :)

AcceleratorX

Youngling
^Regarding donations, it's probably a necessary evil. I would have been against it, but I have noticed that some of the most well-off, employed and smart engineers (including in terms of marks in BE or in terms of extracurricular activities) in my immediate vicinity had been admitted based on "donation".

It's surprising, I know, but it's true. Perhaps the real problem is simply the way students are selected - the entrance exams are utterly flawed and it's a shame that such a system is being used to select students for studying B.E.

The "donation", oddly enough, saves some students who truly believe they can do it from this flawed entrance exam system.......

On the other hand, quite a few bad students also come in via the "donation".

Vignesh B

Youngling
Sorry for bumping this thread. :oops:
I read through all the comments and am feeling pathetic about the situation.
My engineering life will start from the 20th. Hope my passion in computer and technology carries me through :neutral: :p
Is passion enough to succeed in today's life? Of course doing hard-work is mandatory. I am really worried. :sad:

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness
^^ If you have passion in a field, no matter what, you'll pursue what you have to. Hope you got into a decent college... Wish you a good luck for your studies

mitraark

Decrepit
i made my mind in class 9th itself that i was gonna do engg in CS and no other branch. everyone else in my family was a commerce student and most of my cousins were commerce students too. so it was completely my own decision.

goto *ccb.nic.in/ccb2011/AieeeCouns/Result/InstituteWiseAllotment3.aspx and see how many choices people have. there is a guy who had bio tech at mesra in choice number 93!!! compare it to my case, i had made only 5 choices (all CS).

btw i am going to BIT MESRA (Comp sc). :)

Yes , very people are sure about what they want to study. I only had two choices , CSE and IT . Unfortunately didn't get CSE but to be honest wasn;t expecting either . People are their in IT who really got in just to be in college but later they have difficulty coping up with the studies without any prior Programming knowledge.

MohsinMan99

RPG Overlord
I had a funny experience with this lately. One of my Computer Profs was discussing about computers and how we should all go with P4 computers(LOL!):cool: and the rest are just garbage. P4 computers have more "Hz" in his opinion and hence faster than the latest processors we have today. Not only that, since our course is vastly outdated, he was making a lot of wrong answers with other stuff as well, most notably the More memory-More powerful GPu theory(this for the low end cards!).

Needless to say, I corrected him but the guy went berserk saying"That's not in the book!" and all that. After some more corrections and some pressure by me and other friends, he finally said "You study what is in the portion. Don't go above these things. What, are you researchers or scientists? Don't do research in your homes. Next time. I don't want this."

Then, he ended his grand talk with "But ask doubts if you have any. Anytime!"
:mrgreen:

OP
prasath_digit

prasath_digit

prasath->loves(APPLE);
We are basically a 'collectivist' society...where the opinion of the group takes precedence over the likes and dislikes of the individual. There is seldom any open-mindedness or mutual trust among the people or students...myself is currently doing final year M.C.A. I did my U.G. in B.Sc. Comp Science. But Engineering has been my dream from my childhood. I wanted to do Mechanical OR Automobile Engineering...not because of Job opportunities or PAY packages, but because I love machines...Same thing with computers as I'm doing M.C.A. now. I did poorly in PCM in 12th standard and declared 'unfit' for engineering. So I'm here now in the computer field still pursuing my passion with both computers and mechanical machines...I recently came across a Mechanical Engineering book..."Computer Simulation of Spark Ignition Engine Process" written by a Mech. Engg Professor at IIT-M. I immediately thought of the paper, "Simulation and Modelling" we had during our I year at M.C.A. and was excited about it. When I talked about this to my friends, they looked at me like an alien. Even with Engg students, the reply I got was..."we don't know that...we studied under exam point of view"...yes of course, there are interested/genuine students around, but they are hard to find...

The Book:-

*ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51RwNaYtypL.jpg

Last edited:

ntomer

Broken In
I guess it has a lot to do with proliferation of private engineering colleges. When I got through engineering in 1994, there were a total of 7 colleges and 850 seats for general candidates in UP (now there are some 2 lakh seats and God knows hw many colleges) and being an Engineering student was something to be proud about. Now people get admission in Engineering much easier than they would in BA.

\N

The Conqueror

Elevating Humanity
I think there are a lot of people out there who never wanted to become engineers but were pushed/forced into it by the education system or parents.....I think children are being "brainwashed" today towards these careers of engineering and medicine.

In my opinion, only those with interest should be allowed admission - and not just interest in the technology but rather an interest in how things work.

Today, most of the "engineers" passing out (as well as scientists, now that I think about it) just do an MBA and get some high-ranking manager job - usually having NOTHING to do with their technical education. Less than 15% of graduates end up doing serious research after finishing their degrees. If everyone was so "interested" in doing engineering, we would see more people working in the technical line, as well as higher quality teachers. We can all see that this just isn't happening.

Well, I think if Managers come from an Engineering background, they would be able to guide their fellow engineers and they would be able to understand their problems much better than those managers with just Arts/Commerce background. Google mostly prefers Engineering+MBA Graduates for their administrative jobs.

AcceleratorX

Youngling
Well, I think if Managers come from an Engineering background, they would be able to guide their fellow engineers and they would be able to understand their problems much better than those managers with just Arts/Commerce background. Google mostly prefers Engineering+MBA Graduates for their administrative jobs.

Well, it depends on the kind of job. An Engineer + MBA in a bank? Sorry dude; wrong place and wrong time. In Google, it might make sense. In NVIDIA, chief designers are usually PhDs in science. Like I said; right background for the right job. Everybody is not cut out for the same thing and it's high time the universities, students and industries took note of this fact.

The Conqueror

Elevating Humanity
Well, it depends on the kind of job. An Engineer + MBA in a bank? Sorry dude; wrong place and wrong time. In Google, it might make sense. In NVIDIA, chief designers are usually PhDs in science. Like I said; right background for the right job. Everybody is not cut out for the same thing and it's high time the universities, students and industries took note of this fact.
I think it makes a little sense for banks too, because Engineers are perceived to have strong analytical abilities...If you just check out Harvard Business School - most of their students usually come from Engineering background and most of them get billion-dollar packages from Banking Sector. You're right anyways

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom