gigyaster

Journeyman
Thanks sammy_cool for posting this thread. I was plunged with the same question. It helped me a lot and now I know that ECE is what suits be the best.

What still a question hovering over my mind, What is the difference between Electronics & Communication Engg and Electronics & Telecommunication Engg??
I believe in ECE where AM/FM, Radar system are included, the same is not true for ETE. ETE is strictly for Telephones i.e mobile etc. Am I right??

OP
MatchBoxx

MatchBoxx

the m0nk who sold his PC!
Check out the WBUT syllabus (ETE is there in WBUT?) i checked and compared ECE and CSE syllabus and it helped me a lot!

RBX

In the zone
ECE=ETE for all practical purposes. There is no difference - it's just two names for the same course.

The difference varies from University to University.

Well howz the scope of Btech in IT? :???: I am thinking of choosing that field... and will IT in a good college will be a better option than cse in a not so good college?

The difference between two has become a blurred line. CSE students, in the old times were taught exciting stuff like language and compiler design and IT students were taught to use that stuff (apply it). I chose CSE thinking I'll be doing the same but all I've been doing for last two years is learning this language or that.

comp@ddict

EXIT: DATA Junkyard
ECE=ETE for all practical purposes. There is no difference - it's just two names for the same course.

Hmm

ECE - Electronics and Communication

EEE - Electrical and Electronics

You mean to say, Electrical and Communication are the same thing?

<MEGALOL>

PraKs

Youngling
Anyone working in Embedded systems or Chip design ?

Like to hear from Job profiles for ECE students.

INS-ANI

In the zone
Since i am not from IT filed, I can't comment about job prospects and future in IT. But I am certain about one thing for sure, most of the jobs in IT is here as of low cost model of IT firms( Thats why they don't pay much), once this advantage (and it will) erode, there will be a tectonic shift it IT industry. But inspite of that.. as of today- there are millions of job in IT!

IF you choose to take electronics, you may have to take some additional course to gain required skills to get in to electronics industry (embedded and vlsi, not mere programming jobs). Your initial few years will be tough (say 2-3 years after you get a job).. but after that period you can be assured of stability.

You should understand IT in india is labor intensive industry, whereas electronics is product based. Hence the requirement from industry point of view is very different for CS and ECE.

Oh and one more thing I'd like to add. No rule forces you to take an IT job after doing CSE. I'm working on embedded projects and I found it as easy if not easier to work in embedded compared to my ECE peers. Remember CSE includes anything and everything computer related, and embedded systems are computers too (outside India stuff like Embedded and VLSI are part of standard course)! Problem is the syllabus varies from college to college. Before you start off, try and get hold of the syllabus copy from the college you wish to study in. CSE and IT are identical in many colleges but some have differences. Same goes for ECE vs ETE.

And for actually making yourself workable, nothing colleges (atleast Indian colleges) teach is good enough. There is a reason Infosys has 6 months training for the people it recruits via mass recruitment (this is a privilege the mass recruitment based IT industry enjoys - any other field and you are expected to make yourself moderately job-ready before you even send the application :p). I spent several days in avrfreaks.net to even be able to TOUCH a microcontroller. So be prepared to spend your summers going to crash courses (in the initial year or two) or doing internships (later years) if you wanna actually learn something, regardless of which branch of engineering you take whether CSE-family, ECE-family, Mech, Chem or any other random branch.

gigyaster

Journeyman

:neutral:Is It?? Which means it would not matter practically..then why the hell do 'they' keep different name for the same thing..just to confuse!!:twisted:

And for actually making yourself workable, nothing colleges (atleast Indian colleges) teach is good enough. There is a reason Infosys has 6 months training for the people it recruits via mass recruitment (this is a privilege the mass recruitment based IT industry enjoys - any other field and you are expected to make yourself moderately job-ready before you even send the application :p). I spent several days in avrfreaks.net to even be able to TOUCH a microcontroller. So be prepared to spend your summers going to crash courses (in the initial year or two) or doing internships (later years) if you wanna actually learn something, regardless of which branch of engineering you take whether CSE-family, ECE-family, Mech, Chem or any other random branch.

Well, first of all..you provided some healthy information.
I'm just about to start my engg (Not admitted to a college yet). You told about crash course, internship..suppose I complete my 1st year in engg. Then for doing a crash course in the breaks whom should I approach. As I plan to do ECE, should I go to a electronics house (like service center of a particular brand or so) and approach them..
Kindly tell me in detail as am ill informed about all these.
Thanks in advance!!:)

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
Well, first of all..you provided some healthy information.
I'm just about to start my engg (Not admitted to a college yet). You told about crash course, internship..suppose I complete my 1st year in engg. Then for doing a crash course in the breaks whom should I approach. As I plan to do ECE, should I go to a electronics house (like service center of a particular brand or so) and approach them..
Kindly tell me in detail as am ill informed about all these.
Thanks in advance!!:)

You can approach to any big or small company (try for big PSU's such as BHEL,etc, or MNC as Airtel,etc), any reputed insitutions (so as to project under professors) by sending your (application + resume). But remember one thing, college brand matters a lot, or i should say 90%, rest your performance. However, "source" also plays a big role in getting training or interns. Because the big players won't agree if they see the applicant is from a private college, or a low grade collge/univ (sometimes even middle grade is rejected or i should say only "sometimes" they are selected). Although you can also do training from various pvt institutes, but they won't help much. If last option, do from a good one after searching.

PraKs

Youngling
@MetalheadGautham
Can you please tell how do a fresh ECE student enter embedded market ? Feel free to PM :)

gigyaster

Journeyman
You can approach to any big or small company (try for big PSU's such as BHEL,etc, or MNC as Airtel,etc), any reputed insitutions (so as to project under professors) by sending your (application + resume). But remember one thing, college brand matters a lot, or i should say 90%, rest your performance. However, "source" also plays a big role in getting training or interns. Because the big players won't agree if they see the applicant is from a private college, or a low grade collge/univ (sometimes even middle grade is rejected or i should say only "sometimes" they are selected). Although you can also do training from various pvt institutes, but they won't help much. If last option, do from a good one after searching.

got it!!!
But again, as u said application+resume, will it be fine to write up a resume by a student who has just completed a year in an engg college. According to my personal view point, resume is something you make to get a job after you have a degree. What a 1st year student will write in an resume, simply the score of 10th and 12th and at the most the marks he scored in first year of engg. (at least that what matters the most excluding other point in resume such as hobbies, skills etc..)
Writing up a application is fine.. the above is what I think, maybe m wrong..just clarify.

@MetalheadGautham
Can you please tell how do a fresh ECE student enter embedded market ? Feel free to PM :)
Even I want to know that, though am not into engineering yet!!..Job doesn't matter to me..but to have the right skill and experience is what matters the most, degree can be obtained easily (seeing the way engg colleges are growing). Skills and experience can earn a living atleast!!

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
got it!!!
But again, as u said application+resume, will it be fine to write up a resume by a student who has just completed a year in an engg college. According to my personal view point, resume is something you make to get a job after you have a degree. What a 1st year student will write in an resume, simply the score of 10th and 12th and at the most the marks he scored in first year of engg. (at least that what matters the most excluding other point in resume such as hobbies, skills etc..)
Writing up a application is fine.. the above is what I think, maybe m wrong..just clarify.

I exactly meant what i wrote, i.e. you gotta write ur resume too. Because it will act as ur performance marksheet. As the semesters will go on, ur skills will increase in the form of your projects, trainings, interns. You just gotta "spice" up ur resume.

PraKs

Youngling
As per my opinion CSE is bes option other than ECE/ETE !

Because CSE has more placements in good companies and also these days the computer students are getting more opportunities that any other students !

Well You may be wrong, I have seen IT companies taking 500 CSE/IT students coz they have tonnes of coding & programming work, They take them in bulk at cheapest possible rate & most work is of low quality

Incase of EEE/ECE, They take very limited people due to limited scope of Chip Design & Embedded.

Now decide you U like to work in gang of goats or work in a field where cream is :)

Check Infy's new announcement in TOI, They need some 15000 people in 3 months, Most freshers, They will dump 14000 of them into programming & testing.

OP
MatchBoxx

MatchBoxx

the m0nk who sold his PC!
Thanks everyone for your valuable suggestions! It helped me a lot!
I chose CSE in Pailan College of Management & Technology! (my wbjee/aieee rank was not good enough to grab better colleges)
thanks again and i hope we will continue discussion about CSE vs. ECE, so that many tech enthusiasts who wants to study engineering would be able to decide his/her choice of field.
And as far as "College Brand" goes, i think every pvt. college in kolkata are affiliated to WBUT, and so is the colleges of other states affiliated to their respective state Technical Univs, so, if a student performs good enough in his sems, then he is bound to get good jobs.

gigyaster

Journeyman
I exactly meant what i wrote, i.e. you gotta write ur resume too. Because it will act as ur performance marksheet. As the semesters will go on, ur skills will increase in the form of your projects, trainings, interns. You just gotta "spice" up ur resume.

'spice' it!!!
ok..got it!! Thanks for your suggestion!!

And as far as "College Brand" goes, i think every pvt. college in kolkata are affiliated to WBUT, and so is the colleges of other states affiliated to their respective state Technical Univs, so, if a student performs good enough in his sems, then he is bound to get good jobs.

I have the same thought. :)
Best of luck to you!! Have a bright Career!!

Top Bottom