tkin

Back to school!!
Well, i have read the syllabus of both and found that "Encryption" and "data coding" is not included in CSE, whereas it is in ECE. I love these stuffs! But, then again, i have not that much interests in Satellite communication compared to computers!

Can i learn these topics separately if i take CSE?
Wait, what? I just studied those this sem, I'm in cse.

Afaik the difference between ece and cse is the communication engineering part(at least in wb), here ece students have to learn stuff like fm/am, telecommunication etc, cse students are more concerned with programming, ai, compiler designing, all cs related stuff.

I will say:
1. Want to become a proper software engineer, a black hat analyst, in IBM etc? Do cse, try to get a master degree from IIT.
2. Want to get a core government job, like through IES? Want to study vlsi? do ece.
3. Want to do research in fundamental electronics, vlsi etc, want to design processors, work in amd/intel(core development team) ? Do EE first, then get a master degree from IIT with microelectronics/vlsi and do a phd from abroad.

If you care to search wikipedia, you'll see that in abroad there is ee and cs, no special ece course as we are taught here. If you want to research in VLSI field go for ee.

If you go through some of the master processor designers in intel and amd or renaissance etc you would see most of them coming from an EE background.

If you read this page: Electrical engineering - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
you'll see microelectronics, Telecommunications, Control engineering falling in EE, most foreign universities allow you to specialize in them.

However if you want to be a programmer then go for CSE, basic c++ that you read in ece will not help you with that, you need to learn some more serious stuff, like automata(extremely important), operating system, Artificial intelligence, cryptography, Computer architecture and engineering, web designing, all of these is included in cse syllabus(wb).

Yep, but C++ is not part of the first year syllabus in all universities (C is).
You are correct, c++ is there in 3-4th sem in most streams but c++ means nothing these days, I had studied it, the c++ that is taught to most streams are way too less, only after I studied java(and advanced java) I actually got a hold of OOP.

OP
MatchBoxx

MatchBoxx

the m0nk who sold his PC!
Wait, what? I just studied those this sem, I'm in cse.

Afaik the difference between ece and cse is the communication engineering part(at least in wb), here ece students have to learn stuff like fm/am, telecommunication etc, cse students are more concerned with programming, ai, compiler designing, all cs related stuff.

I will say:
1. Want to become a proper software engineer, a black hat analyst, in IBM etc? Do cse, try to get a master degree from IIT.
2. Want to get a core government job, like through IES? Want to study vlsi? do ece.
3. Want to do research in fundamental electronics, vlsi etc, want to design processors, work in amd/intel(core development team) ? Do EE first, then get a master degree from IIT with microelectronics/vlsi and do a phd from abroad.

If you care to search wikipedia, you'll see that in abroad there is ee and cs, no special ece course as we are taught here. If you want to research in VLSI field go for ee.

If you go through some of the master processor designers in intel and amd or renaissance etc you would see most of them coming from an EE background.

If you read this page: Electrical engineering - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
you'll see microelectronics, Telecommunications, Control engineering falling in EE, most foreign universities allow you to specialize in them.

However if you want to be a programmer then go for CSE, basic c++ that you read in ece will not help you with that, you need to learn some more serious stuff, like automata(extremely important), operating system, Artificial intelligence, cryptography, Computer architecture and engineering, web designing, all of these is included in cse syllabus(wb).

You are correct, c++ is there in 3-4th sem in most streams but c++ means nothing these days, I had studied it, the c++ that is taught to most streams are way too less, only after I studied java(and advanced java) I actually got a hold of OOP.

now, that's exactly what i wanna know! Thanks a lot buddy...i'll go with number 1 option...maybe in the next life i'll opt for number 3! :p eh?

tkin

Back to school!!
now, that's exactly what i wanna know! Thanks a lot buddy...i'll go with number 1 option...maybe in the next life i'll opt for number 3! :p eh?
There is still a chance, do cse now, do mtech with embedded systems, iits offer embedded system specialization: Department of Computer Science and Engineering, IIT Delhi

And here's what embedded system stands for: Embedded system - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You can work in hardware field if you want to, later you can do a phd from abroad.

PS: If you specialize and work with real time os/distributed systems you can develop supercomputers :p

OP
MatchBoxx

MatchBoxx

There is still a chance, do cse now, do mtech with embedded systems, iits offer embedded system specialization: Department of Computer Science and Engineering, IIT Delhi

And here's what embedded system stands for: Embedded system - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You can work in hardware field if you want to, later you can do a phd from abroad.

PS: If you specialize and work with real time os/distributed systems you can develop supercomputers :p

wait wait slow down bud! I've not thought that far! First i wanna get into college with CSE!

OP
MatchBoxx

MatchBoxx

Well, I am trying to cheer you up, since you want to work in hw field and having the wrong impression that you can't.

its true that i'm confused now! bt regarding which college i might get!!! i'm sure that i'll choose CSE, but if i don't get CSE in Kolkata, then i'll opt for Applied Electronics & Instrumentation Engineering and repeat WBJEE nxt year :???:
what do u think?

tkin

Back to school!!
its true that i'm confused now! bt regarding which college i might get!!! i'm sure that i'll choose CSE, but if i don't get CSE in Kolkata, then i'll opt for Applied Electronics & Instrumentation Engineering and repeat WBJEE nxt year :???:
what do u think?
Why repeat, most colleges allow students to change streams(heritage, techno india confirmed), you just have to get very good marks in first year and come in top 5 in the college, since seats are limited students are allowed to change streams on marks basis, my friend changed to ece after first year, I also had a chance, but I stuck with CSE.

OP
MatchBoxx

MatchBoxx

Can we share phone numbers? I want to know more about this and since you have firsthand experience in this matter, i need more info!

soumo27

→|Requiescat| |in| |Pace|
Well howz the scope of Btech in IT? :???: I am thinking of choosing that field... and will IT in a good college will be a better option than cse in a not so good college?

And what about future prospects with IT field? Can I do Mtech or such?? :!:

mitraark

Decrepit
Well howz the scope of Btech in IT? :???: I am thinking of choosing that field... and will IT in a good college will be a better option than cse in a not so good college?

And what about future prospects with IT field? Can I do Mtech or such?? :!:

I will honest , IT has almost 80% Similar syllabus , but CSE Students are preferred over IT in campus placements. So you should choose CSE over IT when you have both open.

But , taking IT in a better college would definitely be preferred over CSE from not so good a college. Remember this IT Students gets placed the fastest and most certainly , even though all the jobs are of the lowest package.

The future prospects of IT as almost as similar as CSE , there is such demand that even ECE , EE , and of course, CSE Students go into IT Companies. And i should also mention, people who say CSE gives the chane to work with Hardware and such , usually , almost everyone ends up in IT Sector .. for hardware , ECE students are preferred.

ANd as for M.Tech , i advice you to not think about that now , oncw you are in college , you will get to know more about it from friends , and then decide for yourself.

comp@ddict

EXIT: DATA Junkyard
Both are good but I will suggest you to take CSE as it has a wide scope than ECE...

Common mistake, both have equal scope. It depends how large your vision is, which in your case is limited to CSE only.

mitraark

Decrepit
Both are good but I will suggest you to take CSE as it has a wide scope than ECE...

The complete opposite of what is generally believed. ECE Students have the opportunity to go to GOverment Electrical jobs , Electronics , as well as Programming sector. Many of today;s programmers are Engineers in ECE.

AcceleratorX

Youngling
Many programmers are also mathematicians, physicists, diploma holders. That doesn't really mean anything.

There are CSE graduates programming rocket propulsion control systems for NASA too.

Between these two branches," scope" is roughly the same. Everyone needs computers, and everyone needs electronics too.

Last edited:
Top Bottom