Drinking water - Kidney Stones

tkin

Back to school!!
Hi,

About kidney stones:

*Normal subjects can excrete more than 10 to 15 liters of (very dilute)urine per day, hence drinking even large amount of water in persons with normal kidneys will not lead to hyponatremia (low serum sodium). This can rarely occur in few patients who chronic psychiatric disorders.

*Kidney stones occur most commonly due to genetic predisposition leading to various metabolic abnormalities. In these individuals one of the ways to prevent stones is to ensure adequate urinary flow and avoid crystallization. This can be achieved with drinking at least 2-2.5L of water per day, but there is no need to drink 6-8L per day (though this will not harm apart from excessive urination). This is more imp. in summer (as more sweating may lead to dehydration ind increased risk of stone formation).

*Alcoholic beverages do not have increased risk of stone formation but no any particular drink is routinely advisable to avoid the stones.

*Limit salt intake.

*This is misconception that calcium containing products to be avoided, infact its intake should be normal.
My mom takes a lot of gelusil, about 2-3 spoon per day, not regularly but maybe 2-4 days per week, is that bad?

PS: Also I have high calcium level in blood(reached the upper limit) but my PTH levels are totally normal, should I be concerned?

Sarath

iDota
Drinking 2litres is encouraged normally.

You can up it by a litre or more. But drinking too much water puts unnecessary pressure on the kidneys. Drinking less has bad effects too.

Adequate rehydration is enough.

I have a kidney stone. Lack of water combined with weird diet in my hostel led to colic pains in my abdomen a few months ago

Doc mentioned any kind of liquid, beer/barley water/cranberry juice/pepsi/good ol' water is enough to flush it out. Just increase intake from 2-3L (which is for normal folks) to atleast 8L. Oh and the meds too.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
Hi,

About kidney stones:

*Normal subjects can excrete more than 10 to 15 liters of (very dilute)urine per day, hence drinking even large amount of water in persons with normal kidneys will not lead to hyponatremia (low serum sodium). This can rarely occur in few patients who chronic psychiatric disorders.

*Kidney stones occur most commonly due to genetic predisposition leading to various metabolic abnormalities. In these individuals one of the ways to prevent stones is to ensure adequate urinary flow and avoid crystallization. This can be achieved with drinking at least 2-2.5L of water per day, but there is no need to drink 6-8L per day (though this will not harm apart from excessive urination). This is more imp. in summer (as more sweating may lead to dehydration ind increased risk of stone formation).

*Alcoholic beverages do not have increased risk of stone formation but no any particular drink is routinely advisable to avoid the stones.

*Limit salt intake.

*This is misconception that calcium containing products to be avoided, infact its intake should be normal.

Informative :smile:

Top Bottom