Don't be surprised when your cheap PSU blows up (Intex, iBall, Circle etc.)

J

Joker

read this article:

Don't Be Surprised When Your Cheap PSU Blows Up : 1670 Watts For $60?

so dont buy el cheapo power supplies.

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
Good find Joker.

This should be stickied.

Once met a forum member who had 5 psu(he claimed) of 500w each of which total cost was 1500(for the 5 together)!
Local dealers should be punched if they reccomend generic psu's!

cute.bandar

Cyborg Agent
Isn't this a little unfair to iball and intex ? sure the cheap PSU's tested by toms are crap , but they haven't tested iball and intex PSU's . How can one be sure that intex and iball fall into the same category ?

OP
J

Joker

Isn't this a little unfair to iball and intex ? sure the cheap PSU's tested by toms are crap , but they haven't tested iball and intex PSU's . How can one be sure that intex and iball fall into the same category ?
because these fall into this category.

saswat23

Human Spambot
cheap PSU can only be used in budget PCs for under 20k, probably if GPU is not used.
Else u will see diwali inside ur cabby.

mitraark

Decrepit
I used iBall PSU with Intel Pentium 4 531 3.0 Ghz [ Hottest Processor ever ] , 8600GT DDR3 256 MB and 2 HDDs 2 DVD RAMs for 5 years , really not a Diwali PSU as being claimed here. Its sometimes a matter of luck and proper elctrical switch boards [ 5 AMP Socket recommended for PCs ] Even Cooler Master gives away sometimes. How can one tell what falls under what category ?

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Have used Mercury & iBall (still using this) with P4 systems for a long time. It also has a GF 4MX card installed. Never ever seen any problem. In our office, I have seen so many parts of older systems going tanked, only a couple of SMPS problem so far. And all the Indian PC makers use el cheapo PSUs. How many users have actually faced a SMPS problem with them? My point is they are not the bomb people have make them, but yes, it is always advisable to spend some more and get a quality SMPS. Ultimately, this is one component most of the users will never upgrade.

baiju

Ambassador of Buzz
PC assemblers usually use the cheap power supply coming with the cabinet (infact many assemblers even don't know about high end psus like antec, cooler master etc. You ask them for a new psu and they will give you that low cost intex or frontech smps) and these cheap psus gets damaged very easily especially if you are in a region with lots of power fluctuations (like mine). My psu got fried at least 5 times (frontech, zebronics, intex) and my pc is now peacefully resting in the corner for nearly an year (I bought a new laptop and i am now happy). Yes it is always best to buy good quality psu.

OP
J

Joker

see u can use cheap PSUs with ur low-end configs if u want but u must not forget that these PSUs will not output their rated power. so dont stress these.

so..never stress these PSUs. and never overclock and use discrete gfx with el cheapo PSUs.

there are many important things to look into...active pfc, efficiency etc. which are poor in el cheapo PSUs.

most el cheapo PSUs dont even have power factor correction.

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
ok guys, since everyone is posting their experiences, let me too :)

I have been using 400 w psu from the last 3 years and frankly have faced no troubles.
Yes, I have heard many cases where psu blasted( a forum member recently had it), psu caught fire,etc
but I havent had any problem. Probably because it hasnt been strained much

newway01

Journeyman
The problem is most people don't realize that these generic psu's are the culprit in their system. They keep on changing motherboards, rams, gpu's etc. when they gone kaput frequently..

My friend was running a decent dual core system with 3 hdd's and an optical drive all powered with an Odessey 500W SMPS..When he bought a 9800GTX for gaming and connected it to mobo, KABOOM!!!! board and gpu damaged. Still he's not ready to blame his PSU.

newboss

Broken In
Many of us in this forum recommended FSP saga II 500W and not recommending VIP 500W GOLD but actually VIP 500W GOLD and FSP saga II 500W both are same/OEM. Some Masters should test all these Indian OEMs. or otherwise post all pictures/photos of these PSUs so we can all know original manufacturer of PSU/smps.

sam1

Journeyman
i should consider myself very lucky then....i have been using a zebronics 500w psu for the last 3 yrs on a c2d system, 8600GTs in SLI and 2 HDDs. never gave me any probs!

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
You must be the first person to SLI on a Zebby PSU! Just recalled, the 8600gt doesn't need any additional power connector. May be that's the reason they have survive. Congrats anyway! Its quite an achievement, I guess.

sam1

Journeyman
i guess so....actually at that point i had NO idea of which one was a good psu and which one was not. so blindly believed the dealer.

sam1

Journeyman
already upgraded. to a cm silent pro 700w. wanted corsair initially, but all the dealers r stocking r the old ones..... :-(

Top Bottom