domain registered .... issues...

Status
Not open for further replies.

iinfi

mekalodu
i have registered a domain for myself .. thru rediff ... say XYZ.com
now i used google apps (basic edition) for creating a mail ID for myself with the domain ...
iinfi@XYZ.com

this mail ID works fine ... and i m even able to redirect the page
mail.XYZ.com to the google apps page .... but the issue is the name google appears on the URL ... and not "mail.XYZ.com/blahblah"

again i m unable to redirect the the main page * XYZ.com OR * www.XYZ.com to any specific page i want to as rediff asks for a numeric IP address .. i dont have one ...

can i not redirect www.XYZ.com to any other page ???

plz help

OP
iinfi

iinfi

mekalodu
i dont have hosting with rediff .... i want the default page www.XYZ.com to be redirected to the google apps page and it doesnt happen ....

because rediff allows only a numeric IP to be entered in the default page www.XYZ.com .. is there a workaround ..

Sukhdeep Singh

Host4Cheap.org
Can you post a screenshot of Domain Panel, so we can understand it more clearly :) You will be most likely needing thrird part DNS Management

Last edited:
OP
iinfi

iinfi

mekalodu
*img86.imageshack.us/img86/3524/redifflc1.th.jpg

*img228.imageshack.us/img228/1417/rediff1mz8.th.jpg

here you go ... 2 snap snapshots .... the IP address is the default on which was given by rediff ... there is no place to enter any other address ....

it doesnt allow me to delete the www alias and use it as a CNAME alias and point to where i want ...

OP
iinfi

iinfi

mekalodu
pardon my ignorance .... is there a way to change the domain registrar ??

to one who gives me more options ?? i think i v been a fool to use rediff ...

what do these *www.everydns.net or editdns.net do??

Sukhdeep Singh

Host4Cheap.org
You can transfer the domain after 60 days of registration. Everydns.net and editdns.net both offer third party DNS Management for free :)

victor_rambo

हॉर्न ओके प्लीज़
Sukhdeep Singh said:
You can transfer the domain after 60 days of registration. Everydns.net and editdns.net both offer third party DNS Management for free :)
Nice links. Thanks a lot :)

OP
iinfi

iinfi

mekalodu
i m not an expert in this .... i m completely confused ...
Note:
Make sure that your domain points to ns1.everydns.net, ns2.everydns.net, ns3.everydns.net, and ns4.everydns.net in your registrar's whois database. Without that, none of your records will resolve properly.
what does the above mean ??
do i have to change the nameserver settings ??
this is what is the current setting in my rediff control panel
Existing Name Servers
Primary Name Server
ns.rediffmailpro.com
Secondary Name Server
ns2.rediffmailpro.com

ahref

In the zone
yes, you have to change NS entries and replace rediff nameserver with everydns nameserver, if you want to use everydns, DNS services

Sukhdeep Singh

Host4Cheap.org
iinfi said:
i m not an expert in this .... i m completely confused ...

what does the above mean ??
do i have to change the nameserver settings ??
this is what is the current setting in my rediff control panel

Yes, change nameservers to Editdns.net or everydns.net. Suggest you to use Editdns.net since i use it aswell. I am not sure of Everydns.net panel but i have heard good feedback about it aswell :)

ravi_9793

TechTin.com
U can redirect..by editing .htaccess file in ur hosting main folder (public_html) hosting.

Add this code in .htaccess file

Code:
Options +FollowSymLinks 
RewriteEngine on 
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} !^www\.yoursite\.com 
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ *www.whost.in/$1 [L,R=301]

Replace www.whost.in with the site where U want to redirect.

Last edited:

ravi_9793

TechTin.com
^^^^^^
Ok..than I may have missed that line.

No problem brother...if U dont have hosting..than take from me free..absolute free. I will give U 5 MB free hosting..only to redirect your domain name.Please dont use to host any webpage :p

OP
iinfi

iinfi

mekalodu
well, i did something ....
google apps suggested that, to got the start page of google apps, my CNAME alias should be www and it should point to ghs.google.com
but rediff does not allow www to be a CNAME as it is already a A Record and that cannot be changed!!
what i did was ... chk the IP address of ghs.google.com... found it to be 66.249.81.121.
now i type this IP in the A Record. .... it still doesnt work !! it takes me to the site underconstruction page ... which has a different IP address !!

ravi_9793

TechTin.com
iinfi said:
well, i did something ....
google apps suggested that, to got the start page of google apps, my CNAME alias should be www and it should point to ghs.google.com
but rediff does not allow www to be a CNAME as it is already a A Record and that cannot be changed!!
what i did was ... chk the IP address of ghs.google.com... found it to be 66.249.81.121.
now i type this IP in the A Record. .... it still doesnt work !! it takes me to the site underconstruction page ... which has a different IP address !!
wait DNS updation takes time.
But I am not sure, it will or not .

Sukhdeep Singh

Host4Cheap.org
iinfi said:

IT will not work AFAIK. You will have to use DNS Management from third party sites as said earlier :)

OP
iinfi

iinfi

mekalodu
follks .. its working now jus as i want it to ... thanks ..

i typed 66.249.81.121 in the ARECORD n it worked after 72 odd hrs ..

thanks a lot for your support

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom