Do I need more RAM?

Sarath

iDota
Hi,
My query is simple: Do I need more RAM?

I have recently started working on video editing of home videos. I have 200GB of Data* which needs to be rendered/re encoded into different formats. More precisely; mainly creating HD quality DVDs, then MPEG-4 videos for future Blu Ray transfer(minor), creating AVCHD 26M videos for HDD(minor).

SW used: Sony PMB; comes bundled with Handycams, useful for small works
PowerDirector 9
Sony Vegas Pro 10/11 (cant rem)
multiAVCHD (yet to figure this out)​

My PC config: In my signature. THREAD LOCKED SO CANT COPY IT COPIED BELOW I have 4GB RAM as of now.

NO DESCRIPTION MAKE & MODEL UNIT PRICE
1 PROCESSOR INTEL CORE i5 2500k 10395
2 MOTHERBOARD ASUS P8P67 PRO 12600
3 RAM G-SKILL RIPJAWS F3-12800CL9S-4GBRL 2625
4 GRAPHIC CARD SAPPHIRE HD6970 2GB 21000
5 HDD SEAGATE 1TB 7200.12 RPM 2625
6 DVD WRITTER SAMSUNG 22X SATA DVD 945
7 PSU COSAIR GS700 6300
8 CASE NZXT TEMPEST EVO 6300
9 MONITOR DELL ULTRASHARP U2311H 14323
10 MOUSE RAZER IMPERATOR 3150
11 KEYBOARD RAZER ARCTOSA 2158
12 MOUSE PAD STEELSERIES QCK 800
13 UPS APC 1.1KV 4500
14 OS MICROSOFT WINDOWS 7 Pending

TOTAL 87722

I am not facing any problems. I just want to know if having more RAM will speed up the encoding/rendering process. In which case I have already got a quote of INR.2000 for the same RAM from Golchha IT, S.P.Road, B'lore.

Here is my thread giving more information about the videos I am working with; while also showing my incapability of working with them :oops: *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/software-q/144474-movie-making-software-suggestions.html

*Data includes 160GB of AVCHD videos at 1080p 50fps 26mbps and the rest at 720p mobile videos at 10mbps

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
^^ More RAM will definitely help while encoding videos but still you have plenty now.
Still you can upgrade and get another 4gb stick so that there are absolutely no memory bottlenecks.

Ram prices are down now so its a good time to upgrade as well.:smile:

Omi

-=[-_-]=-
Unless you are heavily multitasking you don't need more than 4-6 gb
heavy means real heavy
Old but still a good read.
Do You Really Need More Than 6 GB Of RAM? : Is “Too Muchâ€￾ Really Just Enough?
Even most benchmarks use 6gb of ram so as not to get anything bottleneck.
Video editing requires heavy use of processor which you already have a good one.

OP
Sarath

Sarath

iDota
The RAM usage was always fixed at 50% while staying at what seemed like 60-75% while rendering. Since it did not hit the ceiling I did not just yet panic and get another RAM stick.

The processor load was at 80%.

Also I was wondering as to why both were not being utilised 100%. The SW needs only so much or the system has some bottle necks?

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
@ Omi

Its absolutely no harm to have extra memory. The more, the merrier and eventually as apps become heavier, they will crave more memory. The article you posted is pretty old and things have changed a lot.

Our forum member cilus is an avid video encoder and has lots of experience. Recently he bought another 4gb stick as he was getting a memory bottleneck in his 6870 crosssfire setup. He told me that 8gb memory is helping him greatly and not only he achieved extra framerates in most intensive games, the encoding times were also reduced.

So more memory always helps and especially in encoding, decoding tasks. Since 4gb modules are even cheaper now than before, its a great time to upgrade.

Omi

-=[-_-]=-
The ram usage is due to windows 7 too. The more ram you have the more it captures to quickly assign it to programs. Try increasing the priority of the app from normal to High. It may save some seconds.

EDIT:

Then you can surely upgrade :)
Ofcourse there is no harm!

OP
Sarath

Sarath

iDota
and 2000/- down from 2700 when I bought them seems like a good price.

More than that I was worried that my current RAM wont find its pair as the newer models show up. Thus putting it in low stock leading to either situations: 1) I either get it dirt cheap as a pseudo clearance sale; or 2) I pay a heavy price for buying something that is old and difficult to come by [Like the 256 RD RAM that cost a bomb and twice as much as the 1GB DDR Ram a decade ago]

SlashDK

MV VIP to the MAX
According to me there is no need to add more yet. Even I render videos using sony vegas pro 10 and have rendered a couple of blue ray quality videos without any problems with 4GB. Take it only if you think that the same stick may not be available in the future. Also as suggested by omi, increase its priority and you can save some seconds.

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
There is no need to add any more ram. You are already using 2GB gpu which will help to avoid any bottleneck. So you are good. ;)

OP
Sarath

Sarath

iDota
How to increase priority? In the task manager (Do I have to still state that I am noob at this :) )

coolguythampy

Broken In
Sony Vegas is not 64 bit right? So it wont technically access more than 3GB... I suppose that holds good for 32 bit apps on 64 bit OS.

Also, videoguys does not recommend Sandy Bridge for video editing.

Videoguys Blog - DIY Update: Sandy Bridge Not Recommended by Videoguys

Nipun

Whompy Whomperson
How to increase priority? In the task manager (Do I have to still state that I am noob at this :) )
Go to task manager, and under processes tab right click on the task whose priority you want to increase. From the menu that pops up, select "Set Priority".

Don't select Realtime, I heard that it can cause errors. Not sure about that, though!

OP
Sarath

Sarath

iDota
@OP:
What is the RAM usage during intensive tasks..?
I didn't check throughout but when I did it was hovering around 60% or 2.5-3GB Ram. Was closer to the midline than I had anticipated. Check using CPU Usage Windows gadget

Sony Vegas is not 64 bit right? So it wont technically access more than 3GB... I suppose that holds good for 32 bit apps on 64 bit OS.
Also, videoguys does not recommend Sandy Bridge for video editing.
Videoguys Blog - DIY Update: Sandy Bridge Not Recommended by Videoguys
I guess thats why only 3GB is accessed, maybe. Since I have a sandybridge already there is nothing I can do about it. Plus I am only into light editing and stuff, so I guess its fine.

Go to task manager, and under processes tab right click on the task whose priority you want to increase. From the menu that pops up, select "Set Priority".

Don't select Realtime, I heard that it can cause errors. Not sure about that, though!
Thanks. I guessed it was so. Semi-noob me.

Top Bottom