Votes: 66 25.9%
  • None

Votes: 29 11.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
I read alot of magazines so making a concrete choice isn't going to be easy. However I find that each of them come with good articles so I'm not going to side with either.

any LFY takers here?
Yes I read LFY also however I find that 50% of the articles in LFY are way beyond my knowledge in Open Source so I seldom find myself skipping through a bit of the content.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
I guess. If you are interested in consuming technology, then you will like to do it irrespective of the source. I'm sure that every magazine has it's strong points - and weak ones. I really like the way Chip covers events, but apart from that I find that a lot of their articles are not really driven. Nothing too exciting - or inspiring, like LFY is. PCWorld had a nice layout, but I haven't seen it in a long time. I wonder what matters most, presentation, content mix, or how editorialized the whole thing is. For me it was always the depth of the content.

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Only depth would make it for uber geeks only, and u would get reduced in readers. I like digits presentation, mix of both worlds.

Chip starts from big-bang to tell how a LCD monitor works, which works for total newbies but dis-satisfies experienced ones.

To me, Good content with a super presentation. Even a good presentation can a make sh1tty contents worth reading.
Eg. Chetan Bhagat. I hate his works but just love reading them.

oval_man

Journeyman
I feel 'Digit' is very Hi-Fi,mainly for professionals,not common man friendly,

But,Chip is read my many non-professionals,who can understand some jargons,

For all basic lay man,I think 'Computer Active' will fit!

Rahim

Married!
^me! I really like how they handle their letters page, and it's all tech from the word go. I also like how detailed their coverage of some niche topics are (I can recall one very memorable swap partitioning article), the kind of depth is really great if you want to learn about something.
PS: any comments from the 24.35% who said both? why do you need both?
Yes and some discussion between readers of the magazine was awesome. The only sore point that i see in the mag is their Q/A Troubleshooting section, most of the questions revolve around multimedia codecs installation or install process of a distro. We need a more variety of problems to solve than simple ones.

+1 for LFY.
Right.

Digit is good too...
I found last 2 editions of Digit to superlative if i compare their past articles and subjects.
Should Raabo take the credit here?

And, don't buy any mag. :p
toh kya newstand mein khade-khade read kar lete ho tum? :D

Yes I read LFY also however I find that 50% of the articles in LFY are way beyond my knowledge in Open Source so I seldom find myself skipping through a bit of the content.
Agreed about the depth of some articles, like A Voyage to Kernel or CodeSports. Reading it and then saying, "bachche ki jaan lega akya!!!" :D Its too much for average users.
Article of Niyam Bhushan is back again :)

But their website doesn't show the latest issue :( ANybody got it yet?

Last edited:

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
I think I will buy my first copy of Chip...But Digit is the best

---------- Post added at 08:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:18 PM ----------

Digit.....

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
I am still amazed how on Earth they are compressing 2 product articles in one page and calling it as review :p. Frankly, anyone who knows and understands English is better off reading articles anandtech, toms hardware, HARDOCP and x-bit labs.

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member

Best Sorted FOlders: DIgit....well CHip is worst in this case i must tell u all
my pc hanged every time i inserted the Chip DVD..coz they include all
softwares in single (fscommand) folder which takes time 2 load icons...:cry:
so grouping is very BAD in CHIP

+1

I bought Chip once or thrice. It really sucks. Digit cover's almost all the articles much earlier than Chip. And the writing style of Chip is really boring. I really fell asleep while reading their articles. DIGIT ROCKS!! I've learnt many things from Digit. Even my english got much well than before(Academic fayda :)). The softwares in Chip are almost same. Digit rocks in this section also. FT is just Awesome. And the forum helped me a lot while troubleshooting many problems. And also solving my basic technical queries.

1st I thought that I would be buying both the magz. But after buying Chip I saw almost all the articles are covered in DIGIT 2/3months ago(better than CHIP). That 2/3 issue of CHIP was my first and last. DIGIT fulfills all my technical needs. Uske sath Google bhaiya or Forums to ha ihi......!!

Kl@w-24

Slideshow Bob
No tech magazine is worth your hard-earned money once you've learned to harness the power of the Internet. :p :D

Kl@w-24

Slideshow Bob
Still you can't beat the feel of paper. :p Just sitting/sleeping on your chair/bed and reading the mag in any position :)

100% agreed. I actually enjoy reading from my old collection of Digit/Chip/PCQ magazines (from 2002 onwards) every now and then. However, nowadays there is hardly any content in these magazines that a tech-savvy guy wouldn't have already seen on the Net.

Still, paper rocks (if not the magazine itself)! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom