Digit hunts for the Fastest Browser on Earth - Chrome, Firefox, Opera, and IE tested

In your opinion - which one is the fastest browser?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Byte

Ninja Jedi
[NOTE: You can read the more exhaustive report on this topic on the website, across two parts --- Part I is here and it talks in detail about the tests we picked. Part II can be found here and it talks about each browser's performance under these tests and also offers a lengthier conclusion.]

After the recent funeral party for Internet Explorer 6, the hottest news in the world of web browsers has been Opera's claim that its latest is also the greatest - Opera 10.50 was claimed to be THE fastest browser on Earth.

Opera has long played the role of best supporting actor in the browser theater for the past 14 years. The past few years have seen relative upstarts - Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome - steal market share and mind share from this browser of yore. Popularity notwithstanding, Opera has always been the melting pot for new ideas and features, of which Turbo, and Unite are some of the latest additions. Opera's newest weapon - its brand new JavaScript compiling engine called "Carakan" (pronounced 'Jarakan') is claimed to sprint seven times faster than its previous "Futhark" engine. This definitely makes the browser faster than its predecessors.

But when Opera proclaims something as bold as "Earth's Fastest Browser", we had take a closer look and check the validity of this claim. Its competition is surely not sitting idle: Google Chrome's V8 engine is critically acclaimed, performance-wise; Mozilla is constantly polishing their SpiderMonkey engine, and Safari is tweaking its SquirrelFish engine - all giving their all, and squeezing every drop from their JavaScript engines. With that in mind, we felt that the browsers needed to go against each other and show us what they've really got.

Here's the list of the tests that we put the browser through:
  • Acid 3 Test
  • Dromaeo Test
  • PeaceKeeper Test
  • JSNES Speed Test

The list of browsers we tested:
  • Microsoft Internet Explorer 8
  • Apple Safari 4
  • Opera 10.50
  • Google Chrome 4 Stable
  • Google Chrome 5 Developer*
  • Mozilla Firefox 3.6
  • Mozilla Firefox 3.7a3pre Nightly*

We ran all the tests on the same test machine, under the same test conditions.

Acid 3 Test Results :
  • IE - 20
  • Safari - 100
  • Opera - 100
  • Chrome - 100
  • Chrome [Dev] - 100
  • Firefox - 94
  • Minefield - 96

Dromaeo Test Results :
  • Comparison Sheets : Dromaeo, SunSpider, V8, CSS Selector,
  • Safari : Dromaeo - 118.56, SunSpider - 177.95, V8 - 55.44, CSS Selector - 1259.35
  • Opera : Dromaeo - 1282.28 (!), SunSpider - 271.64, V8 - 74.38, CSS Selector - 1147.89
  • Chrome : Dromaeo - 170.71, SunSpider - 222.95, V8 - 86.60, CSS Selector - 1412.99
  • Chrome [Dev] : Dromaeo - 193.32, SunSpider - 274.51, V8 - 114.41, CSS Selector - 1578.19
  • Firefox : Dromaeo - 56.42, SunSpider - 106.04, V8 - 12.47, CSS Selector - 933.71
  • Minefield : Dromaeo - 86.79, SunSpider - 135.26, V8 - 13.99, CSS Selector - 1076.95

FutureMark PeaceKeeper Test :
  • IE - 460
  • Safari - 2004
  • Opera - 2368
  • Chrome - 2159
  • Chrome [Dev] - 2839
  • Firefox - 1806
  • Minefield - 1903

JSNES Rendering Speed Test :
  • IE - Incapable
  • Safari - 52.94
  • Opera - 55.34
  • Chrome - 56.45
  • Chrome [Dev] - 56.97
  • Firefox - 10.55
  • Minefield - Crashed

From these benchmarks one thing is clear - Google Chrome is the most consistent competitor of them all. Opera 10.50 definitely outperforms in some areas and the latest enhancement introduced through its 'Carakan' engine is working wonders for Opera's speed. Amazingly we found that Safari isn't that bad at performance (it does share Webkit with Chrome, after all)... Firefox though, seemed to lag behind the pack (if we count Internet Explorer 8 out).
A point to note before we move on: If we had taken a note of performance against resource utilization, the result might vary significantly. Google Chrome is a behemoth in terms of runtime footprint and even Safari doesn't play well at this. Opera 10.50 is a more balanced proposition here: it comes with moderate processor and memory usage (comparable to Firefox) but gave good results (comparable to Chrome). Internet Explorer 8 may be the most resource-friendly browser of them all - but we've all seen how it performs. As it stands, Internet Explorer 8 is the best tool to download another browser...

We didn't count exactly how many times a browser crashed during our tests - but surely, stability makes for an interesting aspect too. Being just a preview build, Minefield & Chrome [Dev] didn't crash as many times that we felt the need to remove them from a test (Minefield only crashed whenever we ran the JSNES test). On the contrary, despite being a stable release, Opera 10.50 crashed a few times; more than a stable release ought to. Rigorous usage of Internet Explorer 8, Safari and Chrome ended up in an odd crashed session or two, but Firefox didn't crash even once throughout the test period. Nice!

So the winner is...
These tests were just the start of a discussion. The real debate begins now. You, the Digit Community should be the one to give this debate an actual verdict. After all, speed is only a small aspect of a person's experience with a browser. We here at Digit would love to hear from you. Post your thoughts, comments and share your personal user experience with the browser(s) of your choice. If you wish to know more about the tests we ran, so as to try them yourselves, at home, click here.

jayantr7

In the zone
Re: Digit hunts for the Fastest Browser on Earth - Chrome, Firefox, Opera, and IE tes

chrome mozzila r d best

ratedrsuperstar

The Sexy Beast
Re: Digit hunts for the Fastest Browser on Earth - Chrome, Firefox, Opera, and IE tes

i wont vote coz this is ridiculous.being the fastest means nothing these days.if a browser is competitive but offers superlative browsing experience THAT has to be the best one.
In short OPERA f'n pwns them all

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend

Opera is the best for sure

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member

Opera rocks......!! :)

Fu(k off FF :D

mobiclue

Broken In

Google Chrome is the fastest browser. But still I am using Firefox as I don't have my favorite plugins in Google Chrome.

jrkraj

Broken In

believe me k-meleon is the fastest browser I ever seen with lot of controls and easy to use . please try it once and you become fan of it.

jayantr7

In the zone

in speed---google chrome,firefox wins
in stability---google chrome and opera wins
in looks---opera and google chrome wins
in plugins---firefox wins
in ease of use---opera wins
in features---opera and firefox wins
THE WORST BROWSER--- INTERNET EXPLORER...---slow,dull looking,worst
so the winners are google chrome and firefox and opera

BUT ACTUALLY THE FASTEST BROWER IS NOT YET MADE :/ :p :D

---------- Post added at 03:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:12 PM ----------

just open youtube in google chrome and opera nad you will see the difference....google chrome is faster

jayantr7

In the zone

hey metalheadgautam,
only dumb people and it's creators need safari and IE...but safari is little better in spped than IE... IE=idiot explorer

Deblopper

Member Moderator

in speed---google chrome,firefox wins
in stability---google chrome and opera wins
in looks---opera and google chrome wins
in plugins---firefox wins
in ease of use---opera wins
in features---opera and firefox wins
THE WORST BROWSER--- INTERNET EXPLORER...---slow,dull looking,worst
so the winners are google chrome and firefox and opera

BUT ACTUALLY THE FASTEST BROWER IS NOT YET MADE :/

---------- Post added at 03:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:12 PM ----------

just open youtube in google chrome and opera nad you will see the difference....google chrome is faster

In speed obviously Chrome & Opera wins...

But whts it? did u really mean that opera & chrome are more stable! Every 5 of the 10 times I try to open a pdf file or mov videos - even 10.50 crashes like hell. And while talking about chrome, I really couldn't fig out exactly when its most likely to crash, or any logic behind - but it does crash a lotta times. I found Minefiled being more stable than these two
:p

Yeh, one thing to remember - google OWNS youtube - so, its not a very good site to benchmark google browser with some others. people may find its tweaked to perform better in chrome =)) then what?!?

Last edited:

jayantr7

In the zone

i think firefox is best and google chrome and opera in second....

safari is good.......
@deblopper.....every internet connection and computer gets somewhat different internet speed and stability.....e.g,when i open internet in my friend's house[512kbps]it reacts very slow but when i open on my comp[156kbps]it's faster than that even in the fact that my NET speed is slower:p :D

xitij2000

Requiem for the Sith

I agree that browser experience matters a lot. Which is why I have always stuck to Firefox, not only browser is as flexible with addons.

I find it kind of silly though, to think that we should be restricted to one browser. I'm sure most computers can handle two maybe even three browsers, yes, surprising. ;-)

I keep all browsers installed on my comp, and while I rarely use most of them, I have always had the occasion to use each. Primarily Fx, for quick browsing when I don't want Fx to slowly load its sorry ass, I use Chrome or Opera. Heck I even use IE, just for testing... honest.

So I guess for me the perfect browser ballot will have a select all button. I really doubt it will ever be possible to have some kind of super-browser with Firefox's power, Chrome's speed, Opera's features, and IE's.. ugh..

I think to excel in one field you have to sacrifice other aspects.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member

Opera excels in features and doesn't sacrifice speed.

jayantr7

In the zone

we all know that the most used browser in india iz internet explorer.....but only coz it's a defult browser in microsoft AND ALSO THE WORST BROWSER....

internet explorer best features---:p very slow opening
:D booring interface
:p veryyy slowww:-(
:D now i don't want to furthur insult IDIOT EXPLORER[IE.]no surprise how it got 0 vote

Deblopper

Member Moderator

I really doubt it will ever be possible to have some kind of super-browser with Firefox's power, Chrome's speed, Opera's features, and IE's.. ugh..

Dude - dont steal my original concepts... I was having the same dreams too!!! :hissyfit: :rofl:

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth

For me it will always be Firefox. Can't live without the plugins, if only it were taking a bit less memory, i would have loved it a bit more.

On second thoughts:
To get a fast and customized FF: we need some plugins: AdBlock, Flashbloxk, noScript, PhishTank, WOT, RIP and Ardavark etc. These blocks un-necessary content of a certain site and loads the sites faster.
BUT, having so many plug-ins installed makes FF launching very slow, takes more memory...

Now, u tell me what to go for? For a complete experience we need these plug-ins but need to compromise on performance i.e. memory consumption.
But again I don't know any browser giving such vast choice of customization options.

rishitells

Always in Dreams...

^^Yeah firefox is really customizable....
I mainly use it for StumbleUpon toolbar...which works great.

But chrome is also catching up in terms of extentions....
I installed a lot of useful extentions like pop-up dictionary, zoho notes, google tasks, chrome radio, google similar sites, digg share, and even IPL scorecard extention!
you can also open all types of documents right there is browser using google docs.
also, the speed and usability of chrome extentions are better in my opinion.

xitij2000

Requiem for the Sith

^^Yeah firefox is really customizable....
I mainly use it for StumbleUpon toolbar...which works great.

But chrome is also catching up in terms of extentions....
I installed a lot of useful extentions like pop-up dictionary, zoho notes, google tasks, chrome radio, google similar sites, digg share, and even IPL scorecard extention!
you can also open all types of documents right there is browser using google docs.
also, the speed and usability of chrome extentions are better in my opinion.

Chrome extensions are nice, but nowhere near as powerful as Firefox! I found them faster but less stable. Although that is to be expected considering how limited they are. However the kind of extensions available for Chrome are perfect for the fast browsing experience it provides.

Opera excels in features and doesn't sacrifice speed.

Till version 10.50 it was slow, but that's besides the point. What is a feature really? I love Opera, but I don't use half the features, I like Opera Turbo, and Link and I use them a lot, however I don't use Unite as much. I like the mail client, but don't use it at all anymore.

With Firefox I can pick and choose. So I guess my point is, Opera sacrifices flexibility in favour of integrating more stable and popular features.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom