Digit hunts for the Fastest Browser on Earth - Chrome, Firefox, Opera, and IE tested

In your opinion - which one is the fastest browser?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Re: Digit hunts for the Fastest Browser on Earth - Chrome, Firefox, Opera, and IE tes

What is a feature really? I love Opera, but I don't use half the features, I like Opera Turbo, and Link and I use them a lot, however I don't use Unite as much. I like the mail client, but don't use it at all anymore.
When you visit a site like ThinkDigit extensively, you automatically make good use of all the features. (Custom CSS, Block content)

With Firefox I can pick and choose. So I guess my point is, Opera sacrifices flexibility in favour of integrating more stable and popular features.
Thats modularity, imo. You are correct on "we pick and choose with Firefox." But Opera still isn't bloat. It's not a case like Nero which is the most bloaty software I've ever seen.

When I install Chatzilla, Stylish, Adblock Plus in Firefox; it really begins to lag on Linux.

Using the new snapshot i.e. Opera 10.52 beta for Linux is great in that perspective. I prefer Firefox on my Mac as it appears more native.

Last edited:

xitij2000

Requiem for the Sith
Re: Digit hunts for the Fastest Browser on Earth - Chrome, Firefox, Opera, and IE tes

When you visit a site like ThinkDigit extensively, you automatically make good use of all the features. (Custom CSS, Block content)

Thats modularity, imo. You are correct on "we pick and choose with Firefox." But Opera still isn't bloat. It's not a case like Nero which is the most bloaty software I've ever seen.

When I install Chatzilla, Stylish, Adblock Plus in Firefox; it really begins to lag on Linux.

Using the new snapshot i.e. Opera 10.52 beta for Linux is great in that perspective. I prefer Firefox on my Mac as it appears more native.

Oh, no no no! Not my intention to call Opera bloated at all! At-least not in the sense most people would use the term.

Opera in under 10MB, and that includes a browser, an email client, a p2p system with unite, and a bittorrent client. For someone who doesn't use all of them, they are bloat and don't add to the attractiveness of the product.
Even so, Opera is impressive. Firefox gets bloated with add-ons because the add-ons are never as optimized for the browser as the same features for Opera will be.

If Firefox were to implement the add-ons as a core part of the browser, I'm sure they would perform much better.

When I say: "I think to excel in one field you have to sacrifice other aspects."

Features aren't an aspect of the browser, modularity is, even if modularity is a feature... wait.. now I've confused myself. I hope I got my point across!

So, Firefox is flexible but that makes it difficult to have features like process separation for tabs, which the browser has because add-ons can operate at the tab and browser level at the same time. Chrome on the other hand started with that aspect of the browser defined, and now doesn't have as great extensions support. They are both approaching perfect browser from different ends.

Opera is brilliant, better with each version. However you can extend a Firefox into an Opera (albeit half as slow), but not an Opera into a Firefox :p

hellknight

BSD init pwns System V

I ran the test on Chrome, Opera 10.51, Firefox 3.6 & Safari.. Upgrading to Opera 10.51 from Opera 10.50 made huge difference in Peacekeeper score..

The scores are :-

Opera 10.51 - 5381
Opera 10.50 - 4261
Chrome 4.1. - 4224
Safari 4.0.4 - 3660
Minefield 3.8a4 - 3162
Firefox 3.6.2 2716
IE8 928

The system specs are :-

AMD Phenom II 720 BE @ 2.8 GHz
2 GB DDR2 @ 800 MHz RAM
XFX 4870 1 GB GDDR5
1 TB Samsung HDD with 32 MB buffer & NCQ
64-bit Windows 7 Home Premium

Here is the enclosed screenshot :-
*img140.imageshack.us/img140/5563/minefield.th.jpg

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend

Opera is brilliant, better with each version. However you can extend a Firefox into an Opera (albeit half as slow), but not an Opera into a Firefox :p
Who would want that? :p

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member

Mac OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.3 - Mac mini (P8700 2.53Ghz, 4GB DDR3 RAM, nVidia 9400)

Opera 10.52 beta - 4213
Safari 4.0.5 - 3903
Firefox 3.6.2 - 2618

PS: Opera 10.50 final has not been released for *nix.

Edit: Updated scores.

Last edited:

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend

Chromium ruled in my PC apparently. Opera 10.51 is still a beta though for Linux.
Test System:
Platform: Ubuntu 10.04 Beta
Processor: AMD Athlon X2 4400+ @ 2.3 Ghz
RAM: 2 GB RAM
Graphics: (Integrated)Radeon Xpress 1250 (Using radeonhd driver in Ubuntu which is preinstalled)
*img249.imageshack.us/img249/9851/screenshothy.png

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member

^ Try the new snapshot. Huge increase in performance and stability for me both in Linux and Mac. *snapshot.opera.com/unix/snapshot-6272/

---------- Post added at 02:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:30 PM ----------

I upgraded Opera to the latest snapshot. Now it easily surpasses Safari.

*img696.imageshack.us/img696/978/screenshot20100330at238a.th.jpg

Cookies

Right off the assembly line

Have been using IE till I know about Firefox. Firefox is way faster than IE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom