Digit CTC - III Discussion Thread!

Raaabo asks: Which CTC was the best so far in your opinion?

• CTC I

Votes: 9 26.5%
  • CTC II

Votes: 8 23.5%
  • CTC III

Votes: 17 50.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

saras

Journeyman
Team DIGIT... Staticsid... at what time tomorrow the next leg if CTC III starts... announce priorly........ it is really boring after solving the previous clues and keeping idle for 4 days...

Last edited:

Suhas

Broken In
Finally reached checkpoint yesterday. and got time now to post this reply.

Thanks everyone who replied to my PMs and helped me.

staticsid

Team Digit
Don't worry, won't disappoint.

Off topic - I was just thinking a while back, maybe CTC deserves a Wikipedia page :) What say guys ?

ViRaNiAc!

The Ultimate Virus Maniac
Don't worry, won't disappoint.

Off topic - I was just thinking a while back, maybe CTC deserves a Wikipedia page :) What say guys ?

Well I don't think that you should add a wikipedia page for it. There are much better versions of ctc played all over the globe. Crack the code and capture the flag are major attraction in the hackercon, tech communities and tech shows.

For example, famous hack show "hak5" also have the game crack the code contest (they call it ccc), which features live gaming where the players have to try to crack and get the answer by hacking into the box. Some even try to hack others' boxes to make it difficult for other contestants

staticsid

Team Digit
Well I don't think that you should add a wikipedia page for it. There are much better versions of ctc played all over the globe. Crack the code and capture the flag are major attraction in the hackercon, tech communities and tech shows.

For example, famous hack show "hak5" also have the game crack the code contest (they call it ccc), which features live gaming where the players have to try to crack and get the answer by hacking into the box. Some even try to hack others' boxes to make it difficult for other contestants

Yes i know of these. I also have played several levels of notpron ages ago. I also know of other cross over ARGs being played around the globe. Just figured since Digit has a wiki page that mentions even the webinars we used to do, then why not a mention of this. Never mind, just a thought smartypants...

ViRaNiAc!

Don't take that on heart, staticsid. I was just giving my opinion. You can, ofcourse, make a wikipage for it. But, in my opinion, the ctc contest must be a bit more technical rather than being just an online version of traditional treasure hunt game.

I really liked your inclusion of morse code clue which include bruteforcing code to guess the password. That was cool. But when you take a look on the other clues, it is not up to the mark. Even you guys made mistakes twice in the clues and once included a meaningless clue. These type of mistakes must not be there.

By the way, thanks for calling me smartypants. I think after reading your magazine for almost 10 years, I deserve it. But, I guess, I don't want to be that smart anymore. Thats why, now I am only buying this magazine ones or twice an year. There are much better magazines available, after all.

Last edited:

ViRaNiAc!

@royal.tarun There are several magazines.check your news stand and google for them. There are lot of other magazines, podcasts and forum that you can read.

For digit guys, I liked the magazine the way it was two years ago. That time the level of the magazine is intermediate. That made me learn more turn me from a noob to more tech savvy as I can always go and search for terms that I don't know on the internet. But now it has become so noob friendly that I am not getting fun reading it. Now I only buy digit for the contests or if I feel that the fasttrack deserves reading it.

Last edited:
@royal and viraniac.....u r all violating the forum rules.....read them....u r not allowed to discuss abt hacking and other magazines here......kindly pay attention to it....and ya, the morse code was an easy deal...there is no use of brute force at all to get it...

sygeek

Technomancer
Need some detailed hints with crossword, I'm seriously sick of googling each word, trying crossword solvers, but to no avail. Damn frustrating! This proves my lack of vocabulary.

@Viraniac: Hacki9 available in Digital Edition?

ViRaNiAc!

@aakashanuj.iitkgp You are telling that because now they have made it too easy. When I reached there, the code was wrong. Also there was no hints available and there was no word seperater in the image.

@sygeek yes, but it seems I can't talk about it as pointed by aakashanuj.

sygeek

Technomancer
I don't think that's a hacking magazine. Please don't refer to the "hacking" term used by media. It's actually a security magazine.

Back on topic, Someone help me with the crossword.

Across - 1, 11, 13
Down - 1, 3, 5, 11

ViRaNiAc!

@sygeek can you define hacking for me?

@sygeek 1 across - literally mix the loot.
1 down - what do you call computer experts.

For full answers check the digit issues.

jaiho

Broken In
@virus maniac- If you really think that Digit's crack the code contest is but a normal treasure hunt game then you better give up on it. Don't take me wrong, but you seem to be very much obsessed with the contest, you don't even acknowledge.
and about you mentioning to make it a bit more technical, well, the point of this contest is that every Digit reader may compete. And believe me, every Digit reader is not a geek.

@statiscid- you people are doing a great job.

sygeek

Technomancer
@sygeek can you define hacking for me?

@sygeek 1 across - literally mix the loot.
1 down - what do you call computer experts.

For full answers check the digit issues.
Sorry for going off-topic but here's a better definition - How To Become A Hacker. For the love of God, please don't confuse this term with "cracking"! But I guess you know this already.

ViRaNiAc!

@virus maniac- If you really think that Digit's crack the code contest is but a normal treasure hunt game then you better give up on it. Don't take me wrong, but you seem to be very much obsessed with the contest, you don't even acknowledge.
and about you mentioning to make it a bit more technical, well, the point of this contest is that every Digit reader may compete. And believe me, every Digit reader is not a geek.

@statiscid- you people are doing a great job.

I am playing the game because I am getting bored as my summer vacations are going on. I am not obsessed about it. Though it sometime give me chance to make programs. I made monoalphabetic substitution cipher decode program for keyboard clue and bruteforce program for morse code.

I know that not all the readers are geek. but don't you think if the clues won't be about some movies or cricketer, people will learn something while having fun. For example, consider morse code clue, If a guy wants to learn about tech than he will check wikipedia or other site to learn about morse code and then decode it to test his/her skills.

But what are we having here? Half of the forum is full with help requests. I got caught on non tech clues and wrong clues. May be others too. If it would be tech releated we would have searched google for the thing and learnt something new like I did last time when they gave a clue about whitespace programming.

@sygeek yup I do. For me hacking means to get as much knowledge as we can like what kevin mitnick thinks abt it. Also it also means to get 100% from what I have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom