Digit’s Open Source Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

staticsid

Team Digit
In a first of its kind project, Digit plans to crowd-source its January Fast Track (FT) to our very vibrant and active community. The FT to Trouble Shooting Your PC, will be developed piece by piece, under the control of digit readers and forum community. The community has been very active lately, especially in giving us a lot of constructive criticism for the Fast Track. So, what we figure is, it’s time to come together, and build a better product – collaboratively. You get to create, collaborate, and control everything from cover to the contents. The content building process will be wiki based. Each and every one who contributes meaningfully to the project (for instance with answering even a small trouble shooting query) will get a mention in the Fast Track. Further details on:
*www.thinkdigit.com/digitosp

Keep watching this space...

Last edited:

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Hi, no offense but I had posted something similar earlier (and PMed admins too)
I guess u would like to visit this...

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=98309

:cool::cool::cool:

OP
staticsid

staticsid

Team Digit
Ah yes, its a nice idea rhitwick, and along similar lines, but slightly different. This Digit OSP idea was developed so that it dovetails nicely with the theme of the current issue.
Here we will develop content for an entire FT (not few pages) through a wiki engine(which will be set up soon). This is definitely a curious case of synchronicity.
In any case we can safely assume then that you'll be one of more active members in this project?

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
See, when I posted I didn't know how u (digit) would reply to this idea...so I had to keep my feet at ground (then again, I didn't know anything about wikiengine). Thats why I repeatedly PMed admins to know their feedback, but none replied...then in lack of enthu it was shelved...

Again, if Digit has taken an initiative for this I'm damn sure it would be state-of-the-art thing. Only sad thing is that u guys understood at very late that u have immense pool of Q&A to be published for few years...

Me being a contributor?!...yes sure....why not...

gopi_vbboy has already done a nice job (or half of the job u r intended to do) by indexing the important tutorials throughout the section. Find his thread here

OP
staticsid

staticsid

Team Digit
Indeed a nice job at indexing tutorials.
But for this FT, tutorials is not very applicable. The FT is to "Trouble Shooting your PC". Hence, tutorials will have to be adapted to suit a trouble shooting type of format. A typical troubleshooting query for example would be:

"I can't view hidden files. What do i do?".
Then the answer to this one will be something like - Go to Tools> Folder Options> View Tab > Select radio button for show hidden files. (in a more detailed manner of course). Or if this fails go into command prompt and enter "Attrib -r -s -h folder/file name" etc.

Trouble shooting queries will have to be classified into various sections. (Model TOC will be released soon on the URL). Then as the project progresses higher level mods/editors may need to be appointed to check plagiarism and fix language. Plagiarism is quite a concern since we don't want content from other websites just simply copy pasted. Then other contributors will have to verify if the solutions actually work. Graphics/photoshop experts may want to take up making the cover design etc. It's going to be an interesting project!

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Ok, first thing first. How many such Fast Tracks are on ur mind...

Means from now on every issue will have a Troubleshooting Fast Track or twice/once in a year.

If every issue (which is not possible and readers would just fill ur mailbox with complains of repetitive subjects) then divide them in sections: One issue MOBO, another GFX Card, another Procy, next one RAM etc.

If twice or once a year then I guess it would be a mix of everything...

So, again all previous mentioned sections in issue with less contents.
Or u guys want to make it H/W, S/W, Gadgets, General Q&A (or similar sections in our forum)

fieldgunner

Broken In
Was looking for this... hope I can contribute. I'm no super-expert at any of the topics listed in content, but would like to try my hand at designing the cover/ logos/ icons/ illustrations etc for the FT. Is that incl in the project?

Cool G5

Conversation Architect
opensource ? is it GFDL licenced or one of the creatve commons licences ?

I think Open Source is used in different way here. Open Source = Open Contributions from members. I maybe wrong though.

Let's see how it goes. I will contribute to fullest of my potential. 8)

OP
staticsid

staticsid

Team Digit
Certainly not dead Fieldgunner!

We're trying to see if we can incorporate a few user friendly enhancements into the wiki...

Will surely keep you posted

Thanks.
PS. Any suggestions in the meantime?

gopi_vbboy

Cyborg Agent
See, when I posted I didn't know how u (digit) would reply to this idea...so I had to keep my feet at ground (then again, I didn't know anything about wikiengine). Thats why I repeatedly PMed admins to know their feedback, but none replied...then in lack of enthu it was shelved...

Again, if Digit has taken an initiative for this I'm damn sure it would be state-of-the-art thing. Only sad thing is that u guys understood at very late that u have immense pool of Q&A to be published for few years...

Me being a contributor?!...yes sure....why not...

gopi_vbboy has already done a nice job (or half of the job u r intended to do) by indexing the important tutorials throughout the section. Find his thread here

thnks for the mention rhitwick

ya the digit team can take the thread by me
[The Digit Tutorials Index][Classified][Updating..]
and update more or add to their fast track...pls help in making it more organised and
alphabetical in order

first looking at this thread..i thought we were goin to design some linux distrib or apps for some linux distrib...:lol:

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
@ gopi_vbboy - Nice thread by you. Posted my tutorial lists there. Check that out :p

OP
staticsid

staticsid

Team Digit
Hey Everyone !
The wiki is up ! So head over here to check it out. The table of contents is displayed on the right panel and you can begin contributing to any section by simply going to the edit link on any page. Discuss the changes on the discuss section of every page. To help you get started some common trouble shooting queries and answers have already been put in (from the digit forums).
Remember to adapt the content into a trouble shooting format. Head over to FAQs for more info.

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Hey, u guys have given access to everyone and anyone!!!

Use an account system, so that SPAM can be handled (or its already handled?).

Post default username and password here, or at least ask people to register b4 posting.

OP
staticsid

staticsid

Team Digit
We had a debate about that very issue you've pointed out Rhitwik. But the consensus was that a wiki (as per its very nature) should be editable by anyone. Those that want their contribution to be attributed to them will definitely register. Spam is taken care of by a numerical grade test that humans can pass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom