DID YOU KNOW? Windows VISTA Facts & Goof-ups

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
Vishal Gupta

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
^^ The main thing is, it shouldnt be visible on desktop. Thats why I called its a BUG. ;)
Its there bcoz of some purpose and a user can delete it by mistake or by intention. So it shouldnt be visible at all. :)

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
dlete karin toh still coming back ..na .... besides it keeps on remiding u tht u hav set show system files :D and yeah i too agree it shudnt be visible on the desktop but then again desktop too is just another folder ;)

OP
Vishal Gupta

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
^^ lol. :D
Desktop was always a folder in all versions of windows. ;)
They should set the desktop to not show these files as it was in earlier versions...

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
Vishal Gupta said:
Desktop was always a folder in all versions of windows.
i know tht ... what meant was tht coz its a folder unlike in xp they 'forgot' to make sure tht desktop doesnt show those files ...

OP
Vishal Gupta

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
^^ Indeed. :D
Now u said the right thing my friend. ;)
They definitely forgot to set Desktop to not show those files. Like there is a "desktop.ini" file in "Fonts", Temporary Internet Files, etc folders,but they never show even setting both options.
So they should fix it in SP1. :D

sam_1710

Youngling
Hey.. i noticed another goof-up on my vista!!
At the desktop.. jus zoom in fully..(using ctrl+mouse scroll)
At that time usually only 2 or threee icons are visible, try selecting the 2nd one and press right(or left) on the keyboard, WTF... look at the changin icons!!
Chek out the images below

NORMAL :

*www.supload.us/thumbs/default/Normal.JPG

ABNORMAL :

*www.supload.us/thumbs/default/abnormal.JPG

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Vista SP1 Needs to fix many things infect, but most of them are for usability.

1) Let the user change the colours of the UI completely. Like shell style in explorer from green to blue

2) File copy bug

3) IE 7 & WMP11 in pure WPF form instead of semi-GDI+ like right now. They are already out for XP so just make the UI part in WPF this time.

4) Sliming down the code of existing applications cos since now it is .net based, much of the old legacy codebase can be removed in favor of faster .net compliant managed code.

5) Fix various bugs here & there

6) If an icon doesn't have 256p Vista PNG profile then even if it has 128X128 size icon, vista doesn't show it. Means it requires a 256p icon profile to show anything above 48p. Change this.

7) Explorer resize bug

8 ) Better inbuilt support for Windows preview in folders. It doesn't shows preview of PDF or PSD files while there are Windows preview decoders available for these using ActiveX control or DLL loading for an application.

9) Some way to completely disable indexing service & revert back to XP style slow search. I know this is stupid...but comon, I got my files organized & don't want so speedy index to always run in my PC.

OP
Vishal Gupta

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
^^
9) You can completely stop "Indexing" service in Vista. ;) Just disable the "Windows Search" service in Service Manager. Then open "Folder & Search Options" and goto "Search" tab and enable the option "Always Search file names only.". You can also disable indexing from the drive properties. :)

OP
Vishal Gupta

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
Hi guys

I'm back again with another interesting find in Vista. :D

Its not a BUG but a thing, which shouldn’t happen:

*www.askvg.com/folder-and-search-options-bug-in-windows-vista/

Last edited:
OP
Vishal Gupta

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
^^ thnx. :D

Guys,

I hv also noticed another strange thing in Vista! :D

Whenever I click on safely remove hardware icon in system tray, I get the message:

This device can now be safely removed from the computer.
But the LED of removable drive (pen drive, USB HDD, etc) remains ON. In earlier versions of windows, as soon as we click on the icon and get the message that "Its now safe to remove the hardware", the LED used to stop. So has anyone also noticed it?

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Actually, it is the opposite for me. The light used to stay on in XP but it goes off in Vista. I think it varies for different hardware.

However, I do have one serious issue. When I safely remove my external hard drive, it shows me the message that it is now safe to disconnect the drive. But the drive keeps spinning and when I disconnect it, it stops abruptly. I am experiencing this in both Vista and XP. Therefore, I generally do not use my precious external HDD with Vista anymore (which itself I don't use).

It is not a big problem for me due to my once in a month usage of Vista, but I'm just pointing it out. Has anyone else experienced this?

kirangp

The joy Of Wow
Vishal Gupta said:
^^ thnx. :D

Guys,

I hv also noticed another strange thing in Vista! :D

Whenever I click on safely remove hardware icon in system tray, I get the message:

But the LED of removable drive (pen drive, USB HDD, etc) remains ON. In earlier versions of windows, as soon as we click on the icon and get the message that "Its now safe to remove the hardware", the LED used to stop. So has anyone also noticed it?

ya it happens for me also.....the light will always be on even after the message...One thing I really hate in Vista is Ctrl+C & Ctrl+V dont work properly.Sometimes it works sometimes it doesnt & that really irritates me.....One good thing in Vista is the inbuilt drivers for all types of external devices...Most of them work with the built in drivers...That is really good

OP
Vishal Gupta

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
^^ Indeed. I hv noticed it too. It occurs most of the times, when we toggle between windows and try to cut/copy/paste contents.

@arya
I hv checked my "Transcend", "SanDisk" and "Chips Bnk" pen drives and "Seagate" USB HDD in both desktop as well as Laptop. But same things happens. ;)

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Oh well. I have a Corsair Flash Voyager and the light certainly goes off in this one. The packaging even had bold declarations about how this one is hundred percent compatible with Windows Vista and ReadyBoost. Maybe that's why...

BTW, while we are on the subject of pen drives and ReadyBoost has come up, can you help me with a little niggle over here? When I first plugged my pen drive into my notebook, Windows Vista asked me whether I wanted to activate ReadyBoost. I clicked yes and maxed out the capacity that Vista could use. I wanted to test ReadyBoost at the time so I just figured I would set it to the maximum since the pen drive was empty anyway.

Well, now it's been days since I did that. Whenever I plug my pen drive into my notebook, Vista starts using the ReadyBoost feature and even when I have disconnected my drive, it still leaves the files onto my drive and my capacity is nearly full due to that. I cannot even format it in Vista. I could easily have formatted it in Mac OS X if I'd wished to but I just wanted to see whether there isn't any solution to this apart from using another operating system. I don't want to format it, just delete that ReadyBoost file. When I try to delete it, I get permission denied or access denied or something.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
@ Arya

Go to "My computer" & right click on the USB Drive. Go to readyboost tab & disable readyboost from there. Simple. Then format it.

OP
Vishal Gupta

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
OK guys!

I'm back with 2 more BUGs in Vista. :D

FIRST BUG:
==========
Its related to moving a folder "A" into another folder "B", if "B" contains another folder with same name "A".

Steps:
======

1. Create a folder with any name in any location. Suppose we created a folder with name "vishal" in D:\ drive.
2. Create a file in this folder. Suppose we created a text file "v.txt" under "vishal" folder.
3. Now create another folder in any location. Suppose we created another folder "gupta" in D:\ drive.
4. Now create a folder (with same name of the first folder we created in Step1) in this new folder "gupta". i.e., create a folder with the name "vishal" in "gupta" folder.
5. Now create a new text file with same name "v.txt" in this newly created "vishal" folder.

To clear all steps, following is a hierarchy of both folders:

D:\vishal\v.txt
D:\gupta\vishal\v.txt

Now lets start the BUG: :rolleyes:

Try to move the folder "D:\vishal" into "D:\gupta". It'll ask you whether you want to merge the folder or not? Click on "Yes" button.
Now it'll find that both folders contain similar files, so it'll give u following options:

A. Move and Replace the files.
B. Don't move files.
C. Move but keep both files.

Now either select A or select C.

Now come back to D:\ drive and u'll see that it still contains the "vishal" folder although we have moved it to "gupta" folder.

For me it seems a BUG, what u guys say?

[EDIT]

I found that it also happens when you are moving a folder containing system files (like thumbs.db, etc.). It'll ask whether you want to move system file or not and when you'll select yes, it'll move the file but will keep an instance of the folder at source.

[/EDIT]

SECOND BUG:
=============

If we try to delete a file/folder, windows asks our permission "Are you sure you want to move the file to recycle bin?"
If we try to
<SHIFT>+Delete the file, it still asks "Are you sure you want to permanently delete this file?"

Now right-click on Recycle Bin icon on desktop and select "Properties". Now de-select the option "Display delete confirmation dialog" and apply it.

Now try again to simple delete (moving to recycle Bin) & <SHIFT>+Delete a file/folder. You'll not get any prompt while moving to recycle bin but u'll get a prompt again when you'll try to <SHIFT>+Delete the file/folder. Thats OK. Its used to happen in earlier versions of windows. So whats the BUG?

Now the BUG starts: :D

Attach any Removable drive (Pen drive, USB HDD, etc.) and try to delete (moving to recycle bin) and <SHIFT>+Delete a file/folder.
You'll be surprised because it'll not prompt you in any situation.

So if windows prompts you while <SHIFT>+Delete a file/folder in non-removable drives, then why it doesnt prompt you the same in removable drives?

Either it should prompt in both or it should not.

Last edited:

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
You are submitting these to Microsoft, I believe?

*img300.imageshack.us/img300/381/aryayushuserbarkm0.gif

OP
Vishal Gupta

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
^^ Yeps. ;)

OK guys

One more Goof-up in Vista, which I found today while renaming a folder in Favorite Links area. :D

*www.askvg.com/favorite-links-area-in-browse-dialog-box-bug-in-windows-vista/

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom