Not open for further replies.
OP
Vishal Gupta

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
As promised, I'm back with 2 more BUGs: :D

FIRST BUG:
=======

1. Open any drive and select a file/folder.
2. Now minimize the window.
3. Maximize it and try to cut/copy/delete the selected file/folder using keyboard and not mouse (i.e. use <CTRL>+X, <CTRL>+C, <CTRL>+V and <DELETE> keys). It'll do nothing even you can see clearly that the file/folder is still selected.

So you'll hv to again select the already selected file/folder to perform any operation.

It didnt happen in earlier versions of windows. :)

SECOND BUG:
=========

I don't know the exact situation, when this happens but I have faced this problem many times in Vista. Sometimes when we don't have proper permissions on a folder and we try to delete it. Vista give ERROR message like you don't have permissions or something like that. But if we want to <SHIFT>+Delete the same folder, we don't get any ERROR message although it doesnt get deleted.

For recreating it, I found one interesting method: ;)

1. Open Command Prompt and give following command:

md \\.\c:\con

It'll create a folder "con" in C:\ drive. Actually this folder can't be created normally using New -> Folder. Con stands for Console and its in use since good old DOS days. But using above trick we can create it in windows. I know lots of members here know this trick. :D

2. Now open C:\ drive and try to delete it. Windows will give error:

"Could not find this item. This is no longer located in C:\. Verify the item's location and try again."

OK. cool. and now try to <SHIFT>+Delete it. Amazing, you'll get no error and you'll think that you have successfully deleted it. But just refresh the window and you'll find that its still there. :D

I have faced this problem most of the times, when I copied a movie DVD in my computer and then tried to delete the folder. Not always but most of the times.

So IMO, the error message should be given in both situations.

OP
Vishal Gupta

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
Guys

Another BUG here: :D

*www.askvg.com/classic-startmenu-log-off-command-confirmation-bug-in-windows-vista/

Last edited:

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
well here is a goof up i dont know whether vishal has posted it if yess let me know il delete the post:

when u use the search bar in the window and u search for a file say xyz it will show u the result now if u want to search another file in the same folder u will first clear the entry xyz and this is where the frustrating part comes ....

once u clear the entry the folder shows all its contents and the cursor is no more in the search bar ie. u will have to again clck on the search field and enter the new file to be searched ... however if u select the whole text u entered first and then type the new 1 its ok ;)

Last edited:
OP
Vishal Gupta

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
^^ Its not happening for me. The cursor stays in Search pane. ;)
Can u pls post step-by-step procedure to re-create it?

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
well do this search ... for a file right click on it and then do nothing just cancel and now clear the search field and tell me

btw another goof up is that u have to enable the navigation pane in my computer also unlike xp

OP
Vishal Gupta

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
OK guys

Its time for another BUG. I found this BUG long time back but forgot to post it. :D

1. Right-click on taskbar and select "Toolbars -> Desktop".
2. A new toolbar "Desktop" will be added to taskbar just before System Tray.
3. Right-click on taskbar again and uncheck the option "Lock the Taskbar".
4. Double-click on "Desktop" toolbar placeholder and you'll be amazed to see that all desktop icons are showing in this toolbar even you have disabled mots of them from your desktop.
5. Now try to delete any icon from the toolbar. Cool. You have successfully deleted it but just click on the arrow and you'll be surprised that it has come back. :D

So 1st BUG:
========

Why all desktop icons are showing in toolbar irrespective of desktop settings?

2nd BUG:
======

Why the icons come back after deleting them?

Its the most irritating BUG, I have found. ;)

casanova

The Frozen Nova
Vishal, the LED of my USB remains on as well.

The bug you say about shift-delete confirmation for both removable as non-removable drives. It happens this way that delete and shift+delete delete the contents from your non-removable drive in the same way i.e; in neither case they are moved to recycle bin. So you can say the shift+delete confirmation is not valid for non-removable drives.

Have been in Mysore so away from my Vista. Cant comment on other bugs.

OP
Vishal Gupta

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
Now thats an interesting thing, which I found accidentally today.

*www.askvg.com/give-browse-dialog-box-more-space-in-windows-vista/

Last edited:
OP
Vishal Gupta

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
^^ As I said it contains only "Close" button but if u right-click on titlebar, u'll get an option to Maximize it or u can double-click on titlebar to maximize it. ;)

OP
Vishal Gupta

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
^^ yep. ;)

One more interesting thing. :D

Open regedit and goto:

Code:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders
Now u'll see in right-side pane that Microsoft wants to tell u something. :D

There will be a String value with the name "!Do not use this registry key and its value will be:

"Use the SHGetFolderPath or SHGetKnownFolderPath function instead"

I think its a thing, which Microsoft wants to tell s/w developers. ;)

[Edit]

Well guys. I found this, which contains interesting info why this key was put into registry: ;)

*blogs.msdn.com/oldnewthing/archive/2003/11/03/55532.aspx

[/Edit]

Last edited:
OP
Vishal Gupta

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
2 New Bugs Found:
==============

*www.askvg.com/bugs-in-classic-theme-of-windows-vista/

Last edited:
OP
Vishal Gupta

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
2 Goof-ups in Windows Classic Theme of Vista: :D

1. Change the theme of your Windows Vista to "Windows Classic".
2. Open My Computer and look carefully at the "Back" and "Forward" buttons in Toolbar!

*img55.imageshack.us/img55/8642/actualpj3.jpg

3. Now hover ur mouse to "Little Down Arrow" just after the "Forward" button.

*img236.imageshack.us/img236/7086/hoveryx8.jpg

What u see?

A. First thing is that the Back & Forward button are a little bit far from background image. They should be placed at 1 or 2 pixels less from left.

B. When we hover the mouse at "Little Down Arrow", the background image is mis-placed from its actual position and a little curve is displayed just before the addressbar.

These are very small issues and not very noticeable. ;)

PS: Try it urself and u can understand what I'm talking about or just save the images at ur computer and look at them one by one. :)

And now the biggest goof-up. :D

Open Windows Explorer in Windows Classic theme and guess what? The "Up" button will not be visible (it should be there just after the "Forward" button). But if u'll move ur mouse at that place u can see the tool tip "Recent Pages". ;)

*img444.imageshack.us/img444/4978/upxi0.jpg

So the button is there but is not visible. A BIG goof-up. And if u look carefully, the buttons "Back" and "Forward" are correctly placed in this condition but as soon as u'll open any drive or anything, they will be mis-placed.

Last edited:

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
hmmm....interesting find the up thing now if u open my comp for the first time u wont see it only the tool tip appears now open any drive and go back then u will see it

if u come to think its not a bug coz untill u go a certain location recent places cant be there, to make it more clear:

now if u open a new my comp window there are no recent places so showing the arrow is not needed but once u goto a location say c and then go back to my comp or any other location then there are recent places u visited hence it will show u the arrow

it happens the same way if u open any folder there will be no recent places but once u browsea little thruogh tht window recent places

ps: i agree the tool tipshudnt appear ifthe arrow is not thr

OP
Vishal Gupta

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
^^ Nope. I can't agree on it. If that was the reason then why should "Back" and "Forward" buttons be visible when we open the My Computer first time?

Actually the "Up" button should be visible but it should be disabled just like other buttons coz its there and we move thru drives/folders, it should be enabled again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom