DID YOU KNOW? Windows VISTA Facts & Goof-ups

Status
Not open for further replies.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
dude back and forward buttons are visible but are they highlighted ?, disabled=not shown

OP
Vishal Gupta

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
And did i say something else in my above post? :D
I said the same thing, all buttons should be visible but must be disabled when we open My computer...

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
well i think the guy who was coding that part felt it shouldnt be there when there are no recent places, however for some reason i have a hunch that there might be a way to get that maybe registry tweak or something .... vishal spin ur magic in the registry again :D

OP
Vishal Gupta

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
^^ lol. Its definitely a goof-up since u can see clearly that Back & forward buttons dont fit proper in the background placeholder! Guess what? They didnt give proper attention to the classic theme. They were busy in new Aero theme. :D

rakeshishere

HELP AND SUPPORT
Vishal Gupta said:

SECOND BUG:
=========

I don't know the exact situation, when this happens but I have faced this problem many times in Vista. Sometimes when we don't have proper permissions on a folder and we try to delete it. Vista give ERROR message like you don't have permissions or something like that. But if we want to <SHIFT>+Delete the same folder, we don't get any ERROR message although it doesnt get deleted.

For recreating it, I found one interesting method: ;)

1. Open Command Prompt and give following command:

md \\.\c:\con

It'll create a folder "con" in C:\ drive. Actually this folder can't be created normally using New -> Folder. Con stands for Console and its in use since good old DOS days. But using above trick we can create it in windows. I know lots of members here know this trick. :D

2. Now open C:\ drive and try to delete it. Windows will give error:

"Could not find this item. This is no longer located in C:\. Verify the item's location and try again."

OK. cool. and now try to <SHIFT>+Delete it. Amazing, you'll get no error and you'll think that you have successfully deleted it. But just refresh the window and you'll find that its still there. :D

I have faced this problem most of the times, when I copied a movie DVD in my computer and then tried to delete the folder. Not always but most of the times.

So IMO, the error message should be given in both situations.

Folders created through command prompt can be deleted only via command prompt and not GUI mode.This is a Very Nice Feature in case u Dont want any one else to delete your folder through the explorer.I think this is a new & nice feature of Vista rather than a bug:)

OK guys

Its time for another BUG. I found this BUG long time back but forgot to post it. :D

1. Right-click on taskbar and select "Toolbars -> Desktop".
2. A new toolbar "Desktop" will be added to taskbar just before System Tray.
3. Right-click on taskbar again and uncheck the option "Lock the Taskbar".
4. Double-click on "Desktop" toolbar placeholder and you'll be amazed to see that all desktop icons are showing in this toolbar even you have disabled mots of them from your desktop.
5. Now try to delete any icon from the toolbar. Cool. You have successfully deleted it but just click on the arrow and you'll be surprised that it has come back. :D

So 1st BUG:
========

Why all desktop icons are showing in toolbar irrespective of desktop settings?

2nd BUG:
======

Why the icons come back after deleting them?

Its the most irritating BUG, I have found. ;)

The 2nd Bug which u mentioned didnt occur to me..;)...I feel the most most most most...irritating Bug was the STATUS BAR thingy:D

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Each time an IE update comes in, Windows automatically adds an IE shortcut to my Quick Launch. Purely irritating.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
locate or use ... its no goof up if u cant locate it ... click on start accessories it should be there not sure coz im currently in os x ... but snip is working absolutely fine for me .. no goof up thr ;)

OP
Vishal Gupta

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
Now another irritating BUG and yeah its a BUG for sure! ;)

*www.askvg.com/folder-list-and-favorite-links-in-navigation-pane-bug-in-windows-vista/

Last edited:

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
now thats a stupid bug :D ... vishal what were u doing when the beta was released ?

rakeshishere

HELP AND SUPPORT
iMav said:
locate or use ... its no goof up if u cant locate it ... click on start accessories it should be there not sure coz im currently in os x ... but snip is working absolutely fine for me .. no goof up thr ;)

Check that. I figured it out. You have to install the "Tablet PC Optional Components" in Windows Features to have the snipping tool app;). I had uninstalled that Windows feature since I didn't have a Tablet PC.:D

I just Found a very nice thing Today.This one's not a Goof-up or a Bug:p

1. If you want to run Flip3D without it closing when you let go of the key combination WinKey+Tab then press key combination Ctrl+WinKey+Tab.

2. This Function is Also available when switching between Windows using Alt+Tab. Use Ctrl+Alt+Tab to have easy switch Between Applications;)

Last edited:
OP
Vishal Gupta

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
rakeshishere said:
I just Found a very nice thing Today.This one's not a Goof-up or a Bug:p

1. If you want to run Flip3D without it closing when you let go of the key combination WinKey+Tab then press key combination Ctrl+WinKey+Tab.

2. This Function is Also available when switching between Windows using Alt+Tab. Use Ctrl+Alt+Tab to have easy switch Between Applications;)
Check point 7 in my first post: :D

Vishal Gupta said:
7. If u press and hold <CTRL> key while pressing <ALT> + TAB or <WIN> + TAB, then it'll not disappear after leaving the keys. It'll remain there on screen and u can easily navigate thru the windows.
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showpost.php?p=471220&postcount=1

OP
Vishal Gupta

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
Again one BUG for "Windows Classic" theme in Vista:

1. Make sure u r using "Windows Classic" theme in Vista.
2. Open Windows Media Player.
3. Open any video file.
4. Look carefully at the bottom bar of WMP, u'll see the time duration of the video file but it'll be hardly visible.
5. Now maximize WMP and guess what? U can't see the time duration. WHY???

*img231.imageshack.us/img231/4582/wmpbugpz9.jpg

Its really too annoying. If I'm watching a movie and want to know about time duration, then I can't. I'll hv to exit from Full screen mode and then I'll be able to know about time duration.

If u r using Basic or Aero theme, the time duration will be visible in Full Screen mode.

rakeshishere

HELP AND SUPPORT
Vishal Gupta said:
^^ lol. Its definitely a goof-up since u can see clearly that Back & forward buttons dont fit proper in the background placeholder! Guess what? They didnt give proper attention to the classic theme. They were busy in new Aero theme. :D

From All ur Bug Reports..This is certainly True..And People who Will Buy Vista will only Look for Windows "WoW" -Aero on their screen instead of that old Classic Theme;).B/w I dont understand Why are you messing with Classic Theme.. Leave it and concentrate More on Aero..which is what M$ is been doing:lol::p

OP
Vishal Gupta

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
Press <Win>+E for more than 1 second and crash Windows Vista!!! :D

thnx to "Soumya" for posting it:

*www.merawindows.com/Forums/tabid/324/forumid/-1/threadid/9841/scope/posts/Default.aspx

I checked it and it works. :D

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
ont for 1 sec hold it for atleast 5 and it wont crash per say it will only overload the system and the funny thing is it will only open 1 window after say 10 mins of leaving the keys

but yeah there should be an overflow trigger

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom