Desktop VS Laptop

If money is not a problem, what do you prefer?

• Desktop

Votes: 39 49.4%
  • Laptop

Votes: 40 50.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

rajas

In the zone
Desktop..anytime. I'm talking purely abt performance. Has anyone seen the Dell-XPS 700...the beast of gaming machines. No laptop can match its presence.

I'm working on Dell- XPS 400 - Desktop
(Processor: Intel 930 series Pentium D 3.00GHz Dual Core. Memory: 1GB DDR2 @ 533 MHz; Video Card: ATI RADEON® X300 SE 128 MB; HDD: 80GB SATA II
16X DVD+/-RW ; Intel 10/100 LOM; Integrated Audio with Windows Vista RC1)

and Dell Insprion 9200 - Laptop (cant post the hardware details at this time)
Laptop doesnt have any match with. XPS 400. Desktop rocks.

satyamy

Alive Again...
Ni issues that Desktop is Best in Performance
But if Money is not a Prob than i'll go for any Good Notebook from Dell or Aser which'll cost around 2.5-3.0 lakh

sabret00the

Youngling
rajas said:
Desktop..anytime. I'm talking purely abt performance. Has anyone seen the Dell-XPS 700...the beast of gaming machines. No laptop can match its presence.

I'm working on Dell- XPS 400 - Desktop
(Processor: Intel 930 series Pentium D 3.00GHz Dual Core. Memory: 1GB DDR2 @ 533 MHz; Video Card: ATI RADEON® X300 SE 128 MB; HDD: 80GB SATA II
16X DVD+/-RW ; Intel 10/100 LOM; Integrated Audio with Windows Vista RC1)

and Dell Insprion 9200 - Laptop (cant post the hardware details at this time)
Laptop doesnt have any match with. XPS 400. Desktop rocks.

hey dude r u frm Dell XPS support?
@rajas : did u get the presentation on the Limited Edition XPS 600 "Renegade"?Mind Boggling!The whole computer is custom built from made to order one of a kind parts made by vendors like Intel and Nvidia exclusively for DeLL.Stuff of dreams.

Intel C2D E6600 (waiting for prices to come down from Rs.15500/-)

Asus P5W DH Deluxe (waiting for prices to come down from Rs.14500/-)

2 x Nvidia GeForce 7900GT (waiting for prices to come down from Rs.17000/-each rite nw and waiting to get more info on DX 10 cards)

2 x 2Gb DDR2 800Mhz (waiting for prices to come down from Rs.25000/-each)

20"Viewsonic Wide Screen LCD (I knw CRT's are better and already own a Samsung Syncmaster 955DF CRT for my existing system)

Zebronics Antibiotic (already have this one)

Zeb Platinum 500W PSU (already have this one)

Wud like to call it ma monsta!!!

Well LUXURY CARS SUCK!!!

Last edited:

Fastlove

Broken In
there is no limit of what u can do with a desktop ..talking here about initial configuration and future upgrades...
as for the laptop, it's kinda limited...only thing is that u can carry it around...at least IMO

PS. it is a monster indeed what u are building there saber :)

Ksquare

Right off the assembly line
It depends on needs, if u r a busy guy and rarelly stay at ur home den laptop is something u need provided u want' one.
But if spend most of ur time at home--desktop's the best.
Cause, as u mentioned they can be MUCH MUCH powerful then laptops.
u can easily upgrade em'. And more upgradement options r available.
Like liquid cooling, u can change the looks when u get bored with the present one etc. etc.
go to *www.xoxide.com if u wonna know wat desktops r really capable of in upgradement!!

G

gxsaurav

it compleately depends on the need. However, with today's technologies....laptop is a better choice

core 2 duo for laptop is quite fast, as fast as the desktop counterpart. With a laptop, u get almost same power as the desktop, but in a very small space, & most important good backup of 2 3 hrs....unlike a UPS with a desktop

however, u cannot upgrade laptops as easily as desktop.

Like many have said before, if u r a student, reading in some city other then your home....& living in hostal, or rent, then laptop is better, it's small...& obviously, u won't be doing a lot of gaming on it.

If u r doing a job...which required connectivity, then although smart phones are better, but laptop is also good. u can keep them in home atleast

for workstation tasks, they will cost a lot, lot more then their desktop equivalent just cos it's mobile, so a desktop is better

ashu_dps

Hell Sucks!!!
Can u people please comment on future of my laptop(config in my signature).
I had bought it in june month.
M abl to play all the games at decent resolution now bt NFS carbon just shows blue screen n freezes my comp!!
My RAM is @667 Mhz, HDD @ 7200 RPM

G

gxsaurav

@ashu dps

your laptop is good enough, what do u use it for generally, as gaming is something u can only do on high end laptops properly or better buy a desktop

laptops are not meant to be power stations, they can be, but they are not supposed to be

If u don't play games, just for a seconds suppose this is the case, then your laptop is good enough for next 3 years, it's perfect to run Vista or Linux with XGL, drivers are available (not sure about linux & ATI). Just if u need, upgrade the RAM to 2 GB when the prices are right. Cos if it's not gaming, then running the OS & application, even with Vista is good enough on 1GB

OP
william

william

Journeyman
i think both can be upgraded as per the needs and as gxsaurav and k square has said it depends upon the use and need it becomes difficult to compare .

ashu_dps

Hell Sucks!!!
@gxsaurav : I basically bought it for works in our college i.e basically ppt, asgnmnts n surfing bt also wanted to have a gaming machine bt could have got either a lap or a desktop n my budget was limited to abt 80K. So got this one n i also use it for gaming.I play quake 4, 3, AOE 3, CIV 4, GTA etc n yes nt to forget ROAD RASH :D

BTW hw mch wl a 1GB DDR stick for my lappy cost ?
Can i gt it at a lesser price than DELL as they quote it abt 10K !

G

gxsaurav

it is a good,lite gaming machine...don't worry, u can play games on it casually..since u r a student...this is enough for u

no idea about RAM price

OP
william

william

Journeyman
laptop provides mobility, yes it can be used for games but i think for games desktop is the best.
what say????????

sabret00the

Youngling
^^ nocessarily coz there are high-end custom built laptops or better said Notebooks coz they heat up so much that u cant keep them on ur laps and they are designed religiously for games and much advanced than ur everyay desktop.As a matter of fact these are so expensive that most companies dont tend to market them in India and these are mostly for Gamer,Hacker and Bling-Factor Oriented Markets,such as the Dell XPS M1710,Dell XPS 2010 Gaming notebook or the Alienware range of Gaming Notebooks.Well,they are different from as they are mobile so that becomes and imp. factor when ur mostly on the move.If u use ur comp. only in ur home then I guess desktop is better coz there is no limit to wat u can add to it.I support highend gaming portables for US consumers and I go thru' the best materials on the best range of computers,trust me these notebooks are way advanced but anyday I'd bet my money on a Gaming Desktop completely assembled by me.:cool:

Ranjya

Broken In
I would love to be able to carry my passion everywhere I go!
Think.....Watching a sunset or sunrise by the seaside with Ubuntu on Laptop and
surfing the net at the same time. Next scenario .....at work but have 1/2hr, well
spent if on Laptop. Can't say one can do same with Desktop. Also if money no
problem you get decent high spec ones which can give med range desktop a real fight.

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Nothing beats the convinience of computing on your bed for me. Furthermore, I can carry my laptop all around the house and the city. And because I have a very powerful laptop (much more powerful than my PC), it is better in every respect. To top that off, my PC runs Windows and my laptop is a Macintosh. Do I need any more reasons to prefer my laptop over my PC! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom