Desire S or Galaxy S

Soumik

Padawan
^^ You can apply coupon code to Nexus S on letsbuy.com and get it for Rs20999/- ;)
Coming to which ones' better, Nexus S/Galaxy S being cheaper, should be the obvious choice over Desire S..

Among Nexus S and Galaxy S,
Adv of NS over GS:
Directly from Google, so will get official upgrades earlier than any other phone.
Oleaphobic or some surface.(dont know what that means :p)
Camera Flash
Adv of GS over NS:
Super Amoled Display
slighly slimmer (1mm)

So, it ideally is a pretty tough choice. :)

abhi615

Broken In
well, thanx guys for info posted up here., which indeed was helpful yt i'l like to clear a few specific things:

1. is reading text a problem on super amoled and also when u take the difference of screen size 3.7 vs 4.0 " ? ( as i'l be reading quite a bit).

2. will 768 mb ram vs 512 make an appreciable difference ? ( some say galaxy s available ram is further less, so clarification on this will do good too).
also will 1.1 gb vs 16 gb in built memory make a diff as now we can install apps on sd card?

3. of course galaxy s has a better battery, but is desire s battery that worse?

4. is galaxy s gps very bad, as i'v read in a few forums?

5. is htc sense out of the world without any similar app on other android phones?

6. will both phones recieve ice cream sandwich upgrade? does galaxy s being an old phone puts it at a disadvantage ? (how sure can we be on this)

should i wait for sometime, if anything mind blowing is abt to come in near future.

thanks in advance. hope to hear from u guys soon.

abhi615

Broken In
well, thanx guys for info posted up here., which indeed was helpful yt i'l like to clear a few specific things:

1. is reading text a problem on super amoled and also when u take the difference of screen size 3.7 vs 4.0 " ? ( as i'l be reading quite a bit).

2. will 768 mb ram vs 512 make an appreciable difference ? ( some say galaxy s available ram is further less, so clarification on this will do good too).
also will 1.1 gb vs 16 gb in built memory make a diff as now we can install apps on sd card?

5. is htc sense out of the world without any similar app on other android phones?

6. will both phones recieve ice cream sandwich upgrade? does galaxy s being an old phone puts it at a disadvantage ? (how sure can we be on this)

should i wait for sometime, if anything mind blowing is abt to come in near future.

hey guys any one alive and kicking on this forum ???

aroraanant

Explorer

1. 3.7 vs 4.0 " ?
yes it will matter a lil bit

2. 768 mb ram vs 512
yes it will make some difference but it totally depends on the usage...
1.1 gb vs 16 gb in built memory
I personally think 1.1GB is more than enough and for storing other stuff u have SD card which is better when compare to the phones which only have inbuilt memory and no memory card support,one can swap/change the memory cards as per the requirement

3.Desire S vs Galaxy S battery

Desire S also seems to have a good battery not bad at all(it is confirmed by its users also)

4. is galaxy s gps very bad

I can't give u right answer for this one,someone else can answer this better.

5.HTC Sense

Yes HTC sense is very good,I must say its the best UI

6.Ice cream update
HTC will get the update for sure and that too very soon can't say about SGS that whether even it will get the update or not

s_holmes

Broken In
5.HTC Sense
Yes HTC sense is very good,I must say its the best UI

6.Ice cream update
HTC will get the update for sure and that too very soon can't say about SGS that whether even it will get the update or not

I personally like android in plain vanilla without any skins on it. But yes.. among all the manufacturers HTC Sense is the best.

Also I think SGS will get an ICS update even if Samsung does not release it officially. There is huge developer support for it already and I do not see it ending very soon..

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!

1. I think 3.7" is the best size (big enough and still easy to do single handed operations). I never really liked superAMOLED. I like these the most:

• Bravia display
  • Retina display
  • SAMOLED+

2. not much difference for RAM but lot of difference for ROM as the internal memory is usually faster and makes the phone lag less when you are multitasking (music in the background with couple of apps running that read/write to user memory)

3. Desire S has much better battery life compared to other HTC devices and is on par with SGS.
4. Yes. SGS GPS sucks real bad.

5. it's the best UI but once you use vanilla android, you will never think of Sense UI. stock UI is faster, easier on battery and much much more customizable

6. I think N:S is much better than both these two. not sure whether SGS will get official update but D:S should get. anyways, with cyanogen folks at work, you should never worry about updates :D

noob

Cyborg Agent
Having played with friends HTC DESIRE S and my GALAXY S (rooted with ext4 fs on it),
my final verdict is , HTC DESIRE is much smooth and FASTER than galaxy S. that extra RAM does makes a biigggg difference in end user exp.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
Having played with friends HTC DESIRE S and my GALAXY S (rooted with ext4 fs on it),
my final verdict is , HTC DESIRE is much smooth and FASTER than galaxy S. that extra RAM does makes a biigggg difference in end user exp.

i don't think it's due to the extra RAM. It's the touchwiz. Try after loading CM7 on both.

noob

Cyborg Agent
have not yet tried CM7 yet.
My point is Desire S works gr8 out of box...HTC sense is gr8 too.

One functionality i love is , when u connect phone to PC , you can use PC net on Phone :) (yeah, you read that right)

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
have not yet tried CM7 yet.
My point is Desire S works gr8 out of box...HTC sense is gr8 too.

One functionality i love is , when u connect phone to PC , you can use PC net on Phone :) (yeah, you read that right)

yes. there is no denying that SenseUI is the best overlay among droids and it's much better than Touchwiz but you MUST try these 3rd party ROMs (especially ROMs that come with vanilla Android).

PS: I agree with Anorion, these discussions are becoming too repetitive.

abhi615

Broken In
thanks again guys.

@ s_holmes : wont be waiting another month, and galaxy r doesnt appeal to me (too big screen). so wil decide amongst these two only. wat is android plain vanilla??

i know this is not the place to ask price but stil if any one can tel me price of desire s and galaxy s in market. ( no online shopping sites quotes pls). thanks

s_holmes

Broken In
thanks again guys.

@ s_holmes : wont be waiting another month, and galaxy r doesnt appeal to me (too big screen). so wil decide amongst these two only. wat is android plain vanilla??

i know this is not the place to ask price but stil if any one can tel me price of desire s and galaxy s in market. ( no online shopping sites quotes pls). thanks

Yes, I agree that it has a slightly bigger screen 4.19 inches vs. 4 inches of Galaxy S. But it will also have a dual core processor and 1 GB RAM which makes it that much more future proof.
But that said, if you want a phone right now, go for Galaxy S as I don't foresee the cost reducing further..

And yes.. by Android Plain Vanilla i meant without any skins on top by the manufacturers (Sense UI - >HTC, TouchWiz -> Samsung, Blur -> Motorola etc.).. The Nexus S runs of plain vanilla android..

Top Bottom