Dell xps 15 (customized) l502x

mohityadavx

Youngling
This is review of my first laptop The DELL XPS 15!!

Plz Note :- The Box & Packaging part is cut paste of @vi's Dell review here @vi's Dell XPS L501X Review

Since I am in my college and don't have the time to write the entire review in 1 go so i will keep on updating the review from time to time and add a comment informing about the new updates.

Pics uploaded are not very good in quality due to my horrible photography skills and not so good camera of LG OPTIMUS P500!!

So Before I tell you specs etc let me tell you something even more important :-

HOW TO GET BEST DEAL ON CUSTOMIZED DELL

First of all open this link given below in 2-3 tabs

LINK

Enter new name and info in each new tab so that you are not harasses if you meet the same salesperson ( ALSO this frusturate the salesman)

Now tell the salesman the specs you want and he will send u a quotation

Spend some time with him and bargain for price reduction he will reduce 1-3k depending on ur skill , his mood and sales target.

Then ask for freebies like laser mouse, wireless headset, antivirus, bagpack etc he will throw some of these two

Now ask for 8% discount on this quotation and tell him either you are a student or Central Govt Employee

For Student Discount :- Any Engineering College ID will do almost all of them IIT, NIT, even private like VIT and even NIIT ( yes Its NIIT and not NIT !!!)

For Central Government Employee :- Find any uncle of yours who is in central government like Air Forces or other Armed Forces, Teacher at Central University/School etc etc and use his ID

Congo You just saved few thousands of ur/Dad's hard earned money!!!

Terms:- You must take 3 year complete cover however to take 8% discount.

Configuration:-
Intel Core i7-2630QM processor 2.00 GHz with Turbo Boost 2.0 up to 2.90 GHz
15.6" (39.6cm) HD (1366x768) WLED display with TrueLife
1GB NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 525M graphics with Optimus
8GB Dual-channel 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM (2 x 4G)
750GB 7200RPM Hard Drive
3 Year Complete Cover
3D TV Support
JBL 2.1 Speakers + Waves MaxxAudio® enhancement
20W peak audio performance: 2 X 4W + 12W sub-woofer
Tray Load 8X DVD+/-RW Drive with DVD+R double layer write capability
Internal High-Definition 5.1 Performance Audio with SoundBlaster X-Fi Audio
Intel® Centrino® Advanced-N 6230 with Bluetooth v3.0+HS
9 Cell Primary Battery
World's first camera with Hi-Definition Video Streaming with Skype (2.0MP, H.264 Camera)
9-in-1 card reader
1 x HDMI 1.4,supporting 3Doutput for 3D Bly Ray,3D Video Streaming and Gaming as well as 5.1 Audio
Biometric - Fast Access Facial Recognition
Microsoft® Office Starter 2010: reduced-functionality Word & Excel w/ads. No PowerPoint or Outlook
Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium SP1 64bit (Multi-Language)DVD Media
Various paid and free bundled software

FREEBIES:-

Targus NEW Entry Level Backpack 16" Rs. 1000/-

Dell(TM) MS111 USB Optical Mouse Rs. 350/-

McAfee(R) Security Center - 15 Months Version Rs. 970/-

The Box & Packaging :

The packaging was good with sufficient foam padding & lappie arrived in a briefcase-esque carton, a black box with brand logo Dell printed on one side & XPS on another, which makes it pretty cool .

The box contents :
The Laptop
AC power adapter
Drivers & Utility DVDs
Basic Start up guide
Support information & FAQ

Upon opening the brief case, a box containing Charger was at the top, below laptop suspended in foam & DVDs with Guides kept in a box at the side.
It had Drivers & other Utility DVD Discs, Windows 7 OS Re-installation DVD [which needs to be ordered separately but i got it for free]. The tiny little box also had Start Up Guides, NVidia 3d setup & FAQs, Support/ Contact Information.
Everything was properly well placed & an extra bag wrapped around Lappie which was surrounded in foam ensured safety against shock protections or other damages.

[
B]Pics of the Packaging [/B]

The Box:-
*i1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff403/mohityadavx/IMG035.jpg
*i1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff403/mohityadavx/IMG034.jpg

Box Content:-

*i1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff403/mohityadavx/IMG036.jpg

Rectangular ( Longer one ) Content :- Charger and Mouse
*i1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff403/mohityadavx/IMG037.jpg

Rectangular ( Bigger one ) Content :- Manual and CDs
*i1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff403/mohityadavx/IMG038.jpg

Free Bag:-
*i1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff403/mohityadavx/IMG039.jpg

XPS has anodized silver chasis and is very heavy .

PIC
Top View
*i1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff403/mohityadavx/IMG042.jpg

RIGHT SIDE:-

Right side has DVD RW+-, Audio in/out, microphone jack, eSATA/USB combo connector

Pics of the Right Side
*i1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff403/mohityadavx/IMG043.jpg

LEFT SIDE:-

Left side has heat exhaust and USB 3 connector.

Pics of the Left Side
*i1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff403/mohityadavx/IMG044.jpg

FRONT SIDE:-

Front Side has 9 in card reader .

Pics of the Front Side
[IMG]*i1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff403/mohityadavx/IMG055.jpg[/IMG]

Back SIDE:-

Back Side has Mini Display Port Connector, HDMI port, Network Connector, Power Connector, USB 3 , Security Cable Slot.

Pics of the Back Side
*i1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff403/mohityadavx/IMG056.jpg

Bottom:-

Bottom side you have battery bay, sim card slot (Freedom from datacard!!!), JBL subwoofer, some screws which i havent opened till yet so will tell once i have checked them to see whats there.

Pics of the Bottom Side
*i1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff403/mohityadavx/IMG046.jpg
JBL SUBWOOFER:-
*i1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff403/mohityadavx/IMG047.jpg

Keyboard:-

Keyboard is very comfortable to use as large gap is present between keys, there are two speaker on both side of keyboard , touchpad is simply awesome.

There are also 3 touchsensitive button called control strip which give you access to basic control like wifi , volume etc

Also you have various symbol for wifi , charging status etc

Pics
*i1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff403/mohityadavx/IMG040.jpg

Control Strip ( 3 lightning Symbol):-
*i1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff403/mohityadavx/IMG048.jpg

WINDOWS EXPERIENCE INDEX
*i1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff403/mohityadavx/test.png

PERSONAL EXPERIENCE:-
XPS is a huge beast with too much of weight its nowhere to beauty which is its biggest problem.

SOUND
When it comes to sound XPS 15 with JBL speaker is the perfect combo you don't need an external speaker it is loud enough at full volume to blow your room and clear too. The Waves Maxxaudio technology is awesome. I added Intel Hifi soundblaster card it is very effective if u re into a lot of gaming or use IEMs for multichannel sound effect. XPS 15 has inbuilt Andrea technology for noise cancellation in microphone which is quite useful too.

DISPLAY
HD with WLED display with Truelife is simply awesome you will rarely face the viewing angle problem no matter in which angle you sit or how far you sit. 15.6" is large enough for a HD movie show. Lack of VGA connector is a major disappointment though.

SOFTWARE AND FREEBIES
XPS comes with various pre installed software apart from Windows 7 and Microsoft Office 2010 starter and 30 days McAffe trial. Dell Stage is a Mac Dock like utility which has icons like Game ( Which collect info of all game installed on system ) , documents etc. Personally I don't use Dell Stage. Fast Access Facial Recognition Software is pretty useful for security purposes. Dell Webcam Central is my favourite software installed on system it has variety of feature to edit images captured by webcam it uses facial recognition to add up realistic moustache beard etc. Its quit fun to use it.
With Dell XPS 15 you get 4 week free subscription of 70MM movie rental company and also you get a 6 month Dell PHR Connect subscription for free.

KEYBOARD AND TOUCHPAD
Keyboard is very comfortable to use with large gap between keys. Control Strip's 3 touchsensitive buttons also often come handy. This is the most comfortable and responsive touchpad I have ever used.

WiFi
For me Wifi is the most important thing in a laptop so WiFi is an altogether new subtopic. XPS 15 has Intel My Wifi Technology for connecting to other Wifi devices and Intel WiFi Proset/Wireless Tools to diagnose Wifi.

EVERYTHING ELSE
Well it has some cons too it throws really hot air from fan when it is hot. Speaker position is such that it creates problem if one use keyguard to avoid dust settlement as then keyguard cover the speakers. I haven't till yet opened the screws at bottom to see what is there hard disk /ram or something else altogether.

OTHER OPTION CONSIDERED :-

HP 6017/6121 TX :- No extended warranty.

APPLE MacBook Pro :- Same configuration too high priced!!! Also not accustomed to Macintosh and thought wastage of money to buy windows after buying Mac.

Last edited:
OP
mohityadavx

mohityadavx

Youngling
Rs 69,534 /-

It includes bargaining + 8% Central Govt. Employee Discount

(I forgot to mention 3 Year Complete Cover in specifications)

paroh

Padawan
3 Year Complete Cover is good option as the product is costly. I am also looking for the a External TV tuner card for DTH that can record the program any recommendation

paroh

Padawan
I have same l502x but it don't have any TV tuner card
only difference is the Screen , battery and the graphic card led back light keyboard and blu-ray only only 1 year cover
but it don't have any tv tuner card as i customize it , it don't show any tv tuner card option

Is the wireless button is touch button to make it on or of?

Last edited:
OP
mohityadavx

mohityadavx

Youngling
See check ur Dell XPS manuals in one of them its saying all about TV Tuner Card I haven't read it so u can just check it out if u dont find it again i shall search it for you.:)

No wireless button is not touch its symbol but adjacent 3 squares in pic are.

paroh

Padawan
Did u customize the laptop and select the Tv tuner card???
AS when i customized it don't show any TV tuner card plus in the full config there is no TV tuner card. AS right now i don't have the manual . can u please post the screen shot of the tv tuner card or the port for antenna

OP
mohityadavx

mohityadavx

Youngling
Did u customize the laptop and select the Tv tuner card???
AS when i customized it don't show any TV tuner card plus in the full config there is no TV tuner card. AS right now i don't have the manual . can u please post the screen shot of the tv tuner card.

No while customizing it didn't showed any TV Tuner Card . wait let me confirm with manual then.

Oh Sorry its not there manual says avalabilty of TV Tuner varies by region

but it supports 3D TV for sure

paroh

Padawan
yes as HDMI 1.4 3D out put support is there. As i want to buy a External TV tuner card that can record the DTH program. can u guide me which one to buy?

Did u chk , sim card slot (Freedom from datacard!!!) as SIM card slot function not works for me.
Plus as there is only 3USB slot i buy USB 2.0 Hub but it also not work for me.

Can u also confirm is there is any fan noise on the left side of the laptop come near to your laptop and try to hear it

Last edited:
OP
mohityadavx

mohityadavx

Youngling
Check out with Dell ppl only for recommendation for TV Tuner card as they may have something exclusive for XPS

I havent used sim card slot as i am using my college wifi

Mine is having only 2 usb slot

but i dont need more

However USB hub not working is strange have u checked it with other PC maybe hub is defective

OP
mohityadavx

mohityadavx

Youngling
Think its complete!!

Will add if somehing else pops up in mind or if u suggest something.

i dont know whats the problem but in WEI it checks Intel HD 3000 for graphics and not the graphics card itself!!!

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
optimus ready. so need to make profile for every game/application. to check the performance, you may need to add WEI also.

the profile part was told by cilus so i am not sure about its validity.

pratik385

In the zone
Nice one mohit, you should have opt for 1080p mate.
I am getting one within a month, my friend's bro works for Dell so i will get it in a solid deal :)

@vicky

Iam just worried about the temp i7/i5 create under load as ive read in many forums that under load it reaches low 90s and can we overclock gt525 or i should opt for gt540?

Top Bottom