Deleted partition using ubuntu!

Status
Not open for further replies.

rahul_c

Journeyman
I was trying out the Ubuntu 10.10 from live USB, I found it OK and decided to install it along with Windows. Everything was fine until partitioning page came up. I selected manual/advanced options and re-sized one of my partition. The process was taking too long so I stupidly clicked quit! Now when I booted from windows the partition is vanished! :shock:

That partition has all my documents, music, movies, recorded tv shows, clicked pictures and everything else which I had collected.

Is there any way I can recover the partition? I am freaking out! :hissyfit::hyper:

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
First of all dont panic.. and dont try to do anything more stupid.

Data can be recovered as long as the disk is not formatted. So I think, you have a chance.

So what I understood is that only ONE of the existing partitions have vanished. So can you see and access all other partitions from My Computer?

OP
rahul_c

rahul_c

Journeyman
^Yes, I had two partitions one with windows and the other one with my stuff. Windows partition is working fine its the other one which has vanished.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
It would help if you could tell which Windows are you using?
Also, right click My Computer -> Manage. Click Disk Management And post a screenshot of that.
Dont do anything in Disk Management window.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Wow man! Thats a Huge partition which have vanished!

Now, in the next step, I would have recommend you to try to recover the data using a Recovery Software, like Steller Phoenix Data recovery, which can most probably detect this unallocated space, and search for files.

But since, I am not sure, what that re-size utility that you used in Ubuntu, did, I am not sure, if the above resolution will work.

So, its better now to wait for some Linux expert to come and suggest some ideas.
But, if you DO give the recovery method a go, and IF the software, shows you the files, you should recover those on an external drive, and not on the same drive (which most probably would be D drive).

Last edited:
OP
rahul_c

rahul_c

Journeyman
^I have tried - EASEUS Partition Recovery, Stellar Phoenix Data Reovery, Active Partition Recovery, Test Disk and finally Get Data Back.

After scanning my HDD for 1 and 1/2 hours using 'Get Data Back' it worked and its showing all my data :doublethumb:, but as you have mentioned it shows warning to not to recover data on same disk. What is the harm in doing that?

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
but as you have mentioned it shows warning to not to recover data on same disk. What is the harm in doing that?
Files are stored in clusters on the Hard disk. example, consider a file ABC which is stored on clusters 40-45. Then you deleted that file. You can still recover that file UNTIL some other file doesn't get stored on those clusters. (40-45)

So, if you will be trying to recover files on the same partition, you are risking the clusters of other files being overwritten. And if those clusters will get overwritten, you will not be able to recover those files.

So, get an external hard disk from your friend where you can save the recovered files. Then format the partition on your computer and copy the files from the external HDD.

The process was taking too long so I stupidly clicked quit! Now when I booted from windows the partition is vanished! :shock:
Never do this again. :)

And considering you were using Ubuntu from a USB (pen drive?), it is going to take time. Use a Live CD from next time.

gagan007

Uhu, Not Gonna Happen!
Live CD is wonderful but the option to install Ubunbtu inside Windows (Wubi) is most easy and hassle free :)

OP
rahul_c

rahul_c

Journeyman
Ahh!! Relieved, I have successfully recovered all the really important stuff. Thanks @vineet369
@ico :duh2: will never click quit stupidly, I have learned my lesson.

Off topic -
Since now I have backed up and have nothing important on HDD I am considering to perform a clean format. What should I create partition size for Ubuntu? I want to dual boot and I will not install any applications on Ubuntu just for OS files.
I have to install windows 1st then Ubuntu right? I will use WUBI it seems easy.

gagan007

Uhu, Not Gonna Happen!
but ico said it reduces performance. maybe he can elaborate a little more on that..

ico, buddy...

gagan007

Uhu, Not Gonna Happen!
I didn't notice any, because for such installations you don't do anything else usually. It was smooth

cute.bandar

Cyborg Agent
@ico in this case can data be recovered to a different partition on the same disk ? or an altogether different disk is required?
I had a very similar problem, and recovered 80GB out of 300GB from a lost partition using getdataback I merely copied data to a different partition...

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
^I have tried - EASEUS Partition Recovery, Stellar Phoenix Data Reovery, Active Partition Recovery, Test Disk and finally Get Data Back.

Hooray! :)) I am so glad that you were able to recover all your important data. Trust me, when I say, that I know how does loosing important data feels like. Since my hard drive crashed once, and I lost my complete 1 year data. But I am happy for you.
BTW, did you used ALL those recovery s/w's one after another! Thats seems redundant!

as you have mentioned it shows warning to not to recover data on same disk. What is the harm in doing that?

Although ico has explained it, I would try to write that in my words.
If you recover the data of a disk on the same drive, you risk Overwriting the data which is Yet to be Recovered.

Live CD is wonderful but the option to install Ubunbtu inside Windows (Wubi) is most easy and hassle free :)
Performance penalty.

I think, ico means the performance of the installed Linux would lessen, since its like running Virtual OS inside the Main OS. For obvious reasons, an OS running INSIDE another OS, would not get as much resource, it would have got otherwise, the most prominent being the amount of RAM.
I welcome Linux users, to please correct me, since this was just a guess.

Ahh!! Relieved, I have successfully recovered all the really important stuff. Thanks @vineet369

You can use this to express your joy...
:bananana: :bananana: :bananana:
And you're welcome pal.

What should I create partition size for Ubuntu? I want to dual boot and I will not install any applications on Ubuntu just for OS files.
I have to install windows 1st then Ubuntu right? I will use WUBI it seems easy.

I think, a partition size of 30 GB, would be MORE than enough for a Linux OS. And yeah, Windows should be installed first, then you can proceed with Ubuntu installation.

@ico in this case can data be recovered to a different partition on the same disk ? or an altogether different disk is required?
I had a very similar problem, and recovered 80GB out of 300GB from a lost partition using getdataback I merely copied data to a different partition...

If data of only One partition is to be recovered, you can do so, on Any other partition, of the same physical drive.
But if you have lost ALL your partitions (which happens if partition tables have messed up), then an altogether different partition is required.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
but ico said it reduces performance. maybe he can elaborate a little more on that..

ico, buddy...
well, Wubi isn't like an OS in an OS. (Virtual Machine)

It is more like sharing Windows' file system (NTFS). It isn't native but it isn't even Virtual Machine.

I was referring to performance penalty if you use Wubi. Native install is better as it isn't relying on Windows' file system.

yup, different partition will work.

Since now I have backed up and have nothing important on HDD I am considering to perform a clean format. What should I create partition size for Ubuntu? I want to dual boot and I will not install any applications on Ubuntu just for OS files.
Create 60 GB C: drive. Then 140 GB D: drive using Windows. Leave around 30GB at the end for Linux. Then in Ubuntu installer, create three partitions. One is / aka root, the other is home and third is swap. (10GB, 17GB and 3GB respectively.) Use a Live CD this time.

PS: I've seen many people who say Linux partitioning is difficult. One will only find it difficult if they're installing Linux _after_ Windows. Try installing Windows after Linux which is 100x more difficult for newbies. This is an Apples to Apples comparison.

OP
rahul_c

rahul_c

Journeyman
Create 60 GB C: drive. Then 140 GB D: drive using Windows. Leave around 30GB at the end for Linux. Then in Ubuntu installer, create three partitions. One is / aka root, the other is home and third is swap. (10GB, 17GB and 3GB respectively.) Use a Live CD this time.
Sounds complicated will try and get back to you.

I think, a partition size of 30 GB, would be MORE than enough for a Linux OS. And yeah, Windows should be installed first, then you can proceed with Ubuntu installation.
30 GB is too much, what is the minimum HDD requirements?

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
30 GB is too much, what is the minimum HDD requirements?

The minimum requirement according to the Source is mere 5 GB!
So, I think, 10 GB would be enough. I had recommended 30 GB, considering the available Hard drive space of your computer.(~ 200GB) :-D

OP
rahul_c

rahul_c

Journeyman
The minimum requirement according to the Source is mere 5 GB!
So, I think, 10 GB would be enough. I had recommended 30 GB, considering the available Hard drive space of your computer.(~ 200GB) :-D
200 GB is too less for me its free cause I have recovered only important stuff (captured pics & docs) as of now, my HDD was almost filled earlier and I will re-download/collect all the stuff again and free space will disappear. :cool:
10 GB seems is OK, individual partitions will be like -
Root = 3 GB
Home = 6 GB
Swap = 1 GB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom