--Dasavatharam Discussion thread--

Status
Not open for further replies.

naveen_reloaded

!! RecuZant By Birth !!
Hi all...

Just now saw the dasavatharam movie in sathyam... and oh boy .. its near to Hollywood movie .... or say first Tamil film ever to get close to a Hollywood film in Graphics...
*www.dasavatharam.info/images/dasavatharam_still8.jpg
To be honest this the Best ever film movie made in India...

Kamal Rocks through the whole film... His acting is top notch !!!

For starters ...

here is the trailer...
*i25.tinypic.com/2dayt82.jpg

My small review

I am not going to tell you the story .. i am just going to tell other things..

to start with ... the getups kamal takes on...

each getup ( he acts in 10 different roles ) is awesome .. meticulously done and perfected...
*www.dasavatharam.info/images/dasavatharam_still6.jpg
Graphics is splendid... near perfect but some scenes does show up very poor graphics...

i wont tell you were , just go and see for yourself..

out of 100 % 90 % graphics are done superb .. atleast first time in Indian film... remaining 10 % is poor...or say could have made better...

Coming to other characters .. Asin has done a good Brahmin girl role..
*www.dasavatharam.info/images/dasavatharam_still3.jpg
Comedy is adequate to make the story flow smoothly..

The thing special about the film is that u r at regular interval will be introduced to new characters... thats what makes you sit glued..Believe me

The film has everything... From amercia to japan to india to tsunami to local problem to life to sentiment....etc etc.....

And there are many suprisees in the film all the way from the start to the VERY end...so dont miss a second..!!

more to come... i am very tired ....

just keep this thread going.. will catch it later...

Until then please no spoilers.... keep it that way..please....

MY rating ... 9/10 :!:

zyberboy

dá ûnrêäl Kiñg
do any one know the budget of this film some say its only 60cr and wt i heard before is its 160cr....so which one is true??

OP
naveen_reloaded

naveen_reloaded

!! RecuZant By Birth !!
it would be more than 60 crores... the locations / graphics / make up cost ( rememebr for indian film .. the make up cost was on the top list of the budget.. whihc involved only one makeup change..)

praka123

left this forum longback
yeah ,I saw the movie 2 days back. watchable movie. especially liked that telegu inspector and his way of talking(kamal only) :lol:

then the "supernatural" healing of tumour of Avtar Singh(again Kamal) the Singer when the bullet fired by Chris Pledger? passed through his neck! :lol:

No story,good Enjoyment.Esp if you understand Tamil :D North Indians missed it ! ;)

oh!rating? 8.2/10 ;) so good for Kamal Hassan :D

ancientrites

In the zone
dont watch this movie whatsoever.save your money if north indians missed it its good they missed it.it would have been much better if Sunny Deol had done this multiple role.I dont know i have seen one movie where sunny deol doing all kind of multiple roles darn dont remeber the name. is it indian or the hero.

Rating - 5/10 for action and not for KH

OP
naveen_reloaded

naveen_reloaded

!! RecuZant By Birth !!
For me if the makeup could have been better then i think it would have been more splendid ...but anyway its a good try and a better one as far as south indian film industry is concerned...or say even for whole indian film industry ..

praka123

left this forum longback
well,he made the revealing makeup may be purposefully :p .
@ancientrites: it needs someone who understand taamil(not an average knowledge will help. gottha? ;) ) and also some knowledge on Vaishava and Shaiva fights on 12th century( :?: ) .

With the subtitle in Tamil shown ,not many will be able to follow the incident series.

anyways ,it deserves minimum 8/10 :) I think telegu dubbing wont have done the justice to this movie(which will be doing their rounds in karnataka? ).

gopz

In the zone
Watched the movie today. It just rocks!!! Awesome Kamal, only he can do it!!! Really good movie (if you understand Tamil)

prasad_den

Padawan
Movie is good and watchable.. Kamal was brilliant, especially as Balram Naidu and the 12th century character.. Khalifulla character was too flat and without use; the old lady was a little overacting.

@ Praka: the supernatural healing of cancer by a bullet is not fully imaginary.. I have read in some magazine about one such instance in which a person's laryngeal cancer (the same as that in the film) was totally removed by a stray bullet that accidentally passed thro the person's neck.. Of course, I;m not sure the patient would have been able to speak normally after the incident, let alone sing.. ;)

sam_1710

Youngling
Finally.. watched the movie... :grin:
Kamal's acting was Simply fantabulous!! :) Btw.. I liked the roles Balram Naidu & Christian Fletcher.. :twisted: :twisted:

________

The 10 avtars photos here : *www.behindwoods.com/image-gallery-stills/photos-9/dasavatharam-1/dasavatharam-01.html :smile:

Last edited:

gopz

In the zone
Got this info somewere on the internet (its not my original thought)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Guys,
For those who are not understood the reason for 10 roles. Please go thro this..
I’m not sure how many of you thought on these lines, but the below post makes a lot of sense about the film. There are many discussions on the film happening here – about Chaos Theory, Butterfly Effect, God, Religion etc. I’m watching the film again sometime.
One thing we had noticed is why people didnt get the real subtext and reason for the various roles and hence the title.
If you knew the real dasavatharams of Lord Vishnu and their characters you can appreciate the script more. Let me explain, starting with the best adapted role:
1. Krishna avatar - Vincent Poovaraghavan
Lord krishna is actually a dalit, he is dark-skinned [shyamalam]. He saved draupadi when she was being violated and he was the actual diplomat in mahabharatham. Lord krishna dies of an arrow striking his lower leg. Now look at how vincent was introduced.. he appears when asin is about to be molested and he saves her like draupadi. Vincent is the dalit diplomat, fights for land issue [soil issue to be exact] and dies from the metal rod striking his leg. Oh even five of vincent’s men are drugged at P. Vasu’s.. sounds familiar???
2. Balarama avatar - Balarama naidu
This is an easy given. as the name suggests and the role personifies you can easily get it.
3. Mathsya avatar - Ranagaraja nambi
nambi is thrown into water in an act of trying to save lord from being thrown into sea, though vainly. what more clue do you want?
4. Varaha avatar - Krishnaveni paatti
During the mukunda song, krishnaveni paatti does varaha avatar in the shadow puppetry. The frame freezes on it for a second. there is the clue. Moreover, in varaha avatar lord actually hides earth so as to protect life forms. Here too krishnaveni hides the germs - life form inside the statue so as to protect.
5. Vamana avatar - Kalifulla khan
remember in vamana avatar, lord vishnu takes the vishvaroopa, that is the giant form! Hence the giant kalifulla here symbolises vamana avatar.
6. Parasurama avatar - Christian Fletcher
Parasurama is actually on an angry killing spree and killed 21 generations of the particular kshatriya vamsa. Hence the real KILLER… Guess what thats what our Fletcher is! He comes around
7. Narasimha avatar - Shingen Narahashi
first of all the name itself is a play on the words singam [means lion in tamil] and narasimha [the avatar being symbolised]. Lord Narasimha manifests himelf to kill the bad guy and he also teaches prahaladha. In the movie, he shows up to kill the killer fletcher! and is also a teacher.. Lord Narasimha had to kill the asura with bare hands and hence the martial arts exponent here.. get it?
8. Rama avatar - Avatar Singh
Lord Rama stands for the one man one woman maxim, kind of symbolising true love.. Here Avatar portrays that spirit by saying that he loves his woman more than anything and wants to live for her.
9. Kalki avatar - Govindaraj Ramasamy
As you know, the hero in kaliyug can be none other than the Kalki avatar!!!
10. Koorma avatar - Bush
This is the most loose adaptation I couldn’t clearly comprehend. But if you look at the real koorma avatar, the lord is the turtle/tortoise that helps in stirring the ksheera sagara and bringing out the amruth. This essentially creates war among the devas and asuras. Similarly today Bush facilitates war between you know whom… May be Kamal also indicates that this avatar is a bit dumb like the tortoise…

sam_1710

Youngling
Saw that sometime bak..
btw.. "Shingen Narahashi = Singam Narasimha" ;)
nice linking of the chars with the real avtars!! :)

OP
naveen_reloaded

naveen_reloaded

!! RecuZant By Birth !!
Nice find gops...

But p.s kh and k.s are atheist...
They did all these for the sake of films profit... Anyway good find!

zyberboy

dá ûnrêäl Kiñg
saw Dasavatharam today superb movie!! with an amazing concept and story, but very difficult to understand,thats why many say it hav no story, even Cnn/ibn review said that it has no story:D,its the same concept as the english movie "Butterfly Effect" but taken to another level.Kamal has done a great job to introduce something as thrilling as this.Its one of a kind in Indian cinema and a brave move by both kamal & ravikumar.Action ,special effects,screen paly are the best ever seen in Indian cinema,but makeup and graphics are average wen compared to hollywood.Many say 10 avatars are unnecessary but thats how chaos theory work, it depends on many small things and the final outcome depends on the many people's and objects interaction with each other.

Even though movie hav some flaws i will still give 10/10 wen seen in the context of Indian cinema.But cud hav done even better.
Since i dont know tamil very well there are many things that i didnt understand,will see it again with english subtitle.

Here is a review which explains more abt chaos theory used in this movie...it will help to understand the movie more
*movies.sulekha.com/tamil/dasavatharam/reviews/57904.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom