ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Then again, DirectX is a standard among PCWindows gaming and OpenGL, well, not so much. Scratch that.
hmm you need to Google up what standard means.

And lastly, read this: Why you should use OpenGL and not DirectX - Wolfire Games Blog

Absence of a powerful standard API like DirectX. It led to crap-ass games, poor optimization and what not.
Did you even read this? John Carmack's 12/23/96 .plan :)

gameranand

Living to Play
sunnychahal said:
Which Windows do you use? I've been having quite a lot of troubles with AMD Catalyst on Windows 7 64-Bit. I own an AMD HD5850.
Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit. And my card is HD5770.

gameranand

Living to Play
sunnychahal said:
64-Bit driver problem maybe. That's what I'm talking about. I never had any problem with NVIDIA on any operating system.
I have used 64 bit also for a quite a time and it ran fine for me even on that OS.

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

okk guys..let us get back to the topic. sunny needs to brush himself up.

That's the problem with you guys over here. You just do 'faceplams, pokerfaces, LOLWUTS' and end the discussion. Do you even know what I was referring to? Early 90s. Real PC games starting rolling in around late 90s.

shruti

Broken In
That's the problem with you guys over here. You just do 'faceplams, pokerfaces, LOLWUTS' and end the discussion. Do you even know what I was referring to? Early 90s. Real PC games starting rolling in around late 90s.
if you were referring about early nineties, you should have specified it. like Liverpool fan said..this is not twitter.

early nineties was the era of DOS. you didnt have direct access to hardware at that point of time. windows 3.11 was itself an operating envirovnment not operating system.

PC gaming of late nineties was messed up because devs didnt know whether to develop using opengl or DX which was being pushed upon by microsoft despite opengl already being more mature & better. result = fragmentation.

still time to get back ontopic now.

if you were referring about early nineties, you should have specified it. like Liverpool fan said..this is not twitter.

early nineties was the era of DOS. you didn't have direct access to hardware at that point of time. windows 3.11 was itself an operating envirovnment not operating system.

PC gaming of late nineties was messed up because devs didnt know whether to develop using opengl or DX.

DirectX was fairly new (partly-broken) back then and Microsoft was pushing it. That is why PC gaming was screwed up. More or less how you put it.

And about that Twitter thing, I thought people had grown out of random rabid bashing and that is why I returned to the forum. Seems like they haven't.

gameranand

Living to Play
Bro you don't have a limitation here. You can write the whole damn article here why so many shortcuts. Just be more specific about what you are talking about because not everyone wants to read the whole damn thread with 1000+ posts.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
And about that Twitter thing, I thought people had grown out of random rabid bashing and that is why I returned to the forum. Seems like they haven't.
hmm

If what those lunatics over at AMD are saying actually happens, PC gaming will become as messed up as it was in the early 90s. A modern day example of such fragmentation would be Android for smartphones which lacks universal APIs resulting in lack of quality apps/games. In fact, Microsoft have incorporated DirectX 9 and Silverlight 4 on Windows Phone 7 to avoid fragmentation. Quite honestly, people over at AMD don't know jackshit about software. I mean, look at AMD Catalyst drivers.

Echoing what Shruti said, time to get back on-topic. I'll split the discussion into a new thread soon. Apologies from me.

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
And I had though people had grown up from being overly sensitive.

The thing what was posted: - "Absence of a powerful standard API like DirectX. It lead to crap-ass games, poor optimization and what not.", which is only semi-correct. There was a standard API called OpenGL, far more mature than Direct3D, and already supported in Windows NT, designed for advanced graphics in Engineering and Science, and not necessarily gaming, but its support for gaming did improve and quicker than D3D as well. It was never like that the coming of Direct3D (with the DirectX stack), lead to the games being written correctly and better optimised all of the sudden, Direct3D always suffered from range of problems in itself.

EDIT: Apologies for continued OT posts. :p Time to get on topic now

gameranand

Living to Play
@ azaad
Well of course after all it started with that single post regarding " Crytek wants 8GB RAM in next gen consoles" If they had made a nice game none of this would have happened :p

lol....................... why make so much ruckus for nothing ........... play the game and search for new game............ thats the game..........:smile:

gameranand

Living to Play
azaad_shri75 said:
lol....................... why make so much ruckus for nothing ........... play the game and search for new game............ thats the game..........
Whats the point in the forum then if we don't have to discuss how a great engine made 3 epic games and then 4th game was an epic fail.

Top Bottom