Creating LIVE CDS

Status
Not open for further replies.

anish_sha

.:: 3 : 1 6 ::.
Hi frenz, i'm trying to install linux first time, i got a ubuntu version from one of a magazine cd and it was a zip file so i extracted it to my hdd and i started the autoplay file inside it,it said its a live cd and the os starts automatically when i restart the system, so i burn the whole folder to a new cd, but when i put in the cd and restart the system, it doesn't start, tried changing the boot sequence, by keeping first as CD - ROM, but no use.. You guys pls guide me.. Thanks in advance..

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
the unziped file will be the ISO image of the CD. you need to use the Burn Disk Image feature of you favorite CD burning software and sellect the ISO image and burn the disk.

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
First of all, that ZIP you see is NOT a ZIP file. Its an ISO file. Burn it directly using (Burn Image) in Nero and it will boot just fine.

OP
anish_sha

anish_sha

.:: 3 : 1 6 ::.
But it contained several folders and a autoplay files, when i clicked autoplay file it's written than when you restart with this cd in cd rom it'll start linux.. It was not an iso file, it was zip file only.. Thats why i extracted it..

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
It may appear as a ZIP archive but its not. Disable your Window's "Hide known extension types (.exe, etc)" property to see it for yourself. You have to burn the ISO, which you are calling as a ZIP. ISOs can be extracted from too.

extract with winrar or any other extracting sw.
burn the contents (extracted ones)with magic iso on a cd.
boot with the cd.install ubuntu.
restart ur pc take the cd out and njoy.

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
^^
abtom - Extracting and burning an ISO doesn't always work out as a boot image. More over, the user has already tried that out. You should _never_ extract an ISO. Its an image, use it like that! :?

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
^^ No as said in some of the above replies, WinRAR can read ISO files easily, its often mistaken that ISO is a compressed file, but actually its just the exact image of the CD/DVD.

sg1

On a quest for knowledge!
also with UBUNTU, if you want more copies of the disk , then go to their website and order them for free(In UK, don't know about India) They shipped me the 32bit/64bit and a MAC version plus some stickers to let the world know you've seen the light !!:)
*www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/shipit-faq :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom