CPU Overclock List & Discussion Thread

sam_738844

Wise Old Owl
Thanks Sumon for helping me ocing the proccy to a good 3.61GHZ, 730 score in XTU bench, good enough for me and a locked i7 mobile, gained around 3% in crysis3 somehow, temps 87-89 at GPU, 80-84 at processor cores.

Hrishi

Thanks Sumon for helping me ocing the proccy to a good 3.61GHZ, 730 score in XTU bench, good enough for me and a locked i7 mobile, gained around 3% in crysis3 somehow, temps 87-89 at GPU, 80-84 at processor cores.
:shocked: ,
Pic or it didn't happen. ( 84C on all four cores at 3.61Ghz ??!!!!!)

sam_738844

Wise Old Owl
its only 3.4 to 3.61, how much u expecting 98 deg? the laptop has dual cooler with a 4 fan deepcool multicore X8 installed in its butt, i get 33 deg in idle at GPU, now am pissed with the 38-39, i was planning to oc the GPU as u suggested, but ditching the idea, also will downclock the cpu today to normal, too lame OC :( did not make any significant diff in any games except crysis3, bad luck for me with this proccy.

Hrishi

its only 3.4 to 3.61, how much u expecting 98 deg? the laptop has dual cooler with a 4 fan deepcool multicore X8 installed in its butt, i get 33 deg in idle at GPU, now am pissed with the 38-39, i was planning to oc the GPU as u suggested, but ditching the idea, also will downclock the cpu today to normal, too lame OC :( did not make any significant diff in any games except crysis3, bad luck for me with this proccy.
*fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/603094_4907996259965_1366831478_n.jpg
This was in summers at room temperature for a couple of mins of gaming.
And the CPU was not even at full blow of 3.1GHz on all four Cores.

sam_738844

Wise Old Owl
sorry my office laptop lacks the perks of showing a pic properly sometimes in a forum , anyway i seat in a 16 deg ambient AC room when i play games for more than 4 hours stretch.

OP
topgear

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member

care to share the OC procedure ? ;)

Hrishi

If it's possible and safe then it's better to Overclock two cores rather than all four cores .Most games(<2012) don't use all the four cores.

sam_738844

Wise Old Owl
Re: CPU Overclock List &amp; Discussion Thread

care to share the OC procedure ? ;)

nothing much, Sumon was online in FB, i installed the intel XTU, he suggested to increase the multi to +1 uptil max. so all cores were finally 36 35 34 34, ran benchmark and the score was 728, then i found some other profiles with better score in XTU bench, downloaded and applied, the difference was in graphics section where the value was 28.5x instead of default. The proccy was alredy running at 3.6 Ghz by then, i ran benchmark and checked online again after applying the change , the score was 730. thats it.

*fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/603094_4907996259965_1366831478_n.jpg
This was in summers at room temperature for a couple of mins of gaming.
And the CPU was not even at full blow of 3.1GHz on all four Cores.

all i can say is, u need cooling more than anyone. even i am freaked out seeing these temps!

Hrishi

Re: CPU Overclock List &amp;amp; Discussion Thread

nothing much, Sumon was online in FB, i installed the intel XTU, he suggested to increase the multi to +1 uptil max. so all cores were finally 36 35 34 34, ran benchmark and the score was 728, then i found some other profiles with better score in XTU bench, downloaded and applied, the difference was in graphics section where the value was 28.5x instead of default. The proccy was alredy running at 3.6 Ghz by then, i ran benchmark and checked online again after applying the change , the score was 730. thats it.

All I can say isn, u need cooling more than anyone. even i am freaked out seeing these temps!
Yeah well I have four 80mm fans blowing air right on it's butt , spinning at more than 3000RPM. Keeps it under 90C for CPU and 80C for GPU(20%Overclock Profile) when they are running.
But still The 3610QM generates hell lots of heat when at full blow.

BTW , isn't you processor non-k series ? Which means it shouldn't allow Overclocking unless any hack or mod is applied ?
I have used the same application (XTU) , but all I get to overclock is the boost of iGPU , but not the processor.

sam_738844

Wise Old Owl
i thought that too, and i also checked the bios which told me "u cant oc this proccy" but i got the doubt running coz i had this XTU utility factory installed, so i tried some tweaks in it ( was really nail-biting while doing it), also sumon confirmed that i can not oc this CPU. but XTU was worth a shot, clearly i am missing lots of settings as compared to a unlocked proccy, that was the furhets i could go with 3.61 ghz, which is a shame in the world of OCing ...shame

Hrishi

i thought that too, and i also checked the bios which told me "u cant oc this proccy" but i got the doubt running coz i had this XTU utility factory installed, so i tried some tweaks in it ( was really nail-biting while doing it), also sumon confirmed that i can not oc this CPU. but XTU was worth a shot, clearly i am missing lots of settings as compared to a unlocked proccy, that was the furhets i could go with 3.61 ghz, which is a shame in the world of OCing ...shame

not really a shame...at least not in notebook world. Although , you have a beast there.

OP
topgear

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member

all i can say is, u need cooling more than anyone. even i am freaked out seeing these temps!

Thanks for the info.

sam_738844

Wise Old Owl
can i reach the 900/2700 GPU/mem from 771/2500 with my GTX780m, i read that the power consumption will be higher than 191W in such oc'ed level where as my Power Supply is limited to 180W, is there any tool to check how much power my GPU is actually drawing from the wall despite the 10% loss in AC/DC conversion?

OP
topgear

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
there's no tool which can show how much power your gpu is drawing from wall .. however there are tools with which you can measure the laptop's overall power consumption or the power consumption of the gpu via pci-e slot for. eg. Keithley Integra 2700 :D

Hrishi

there's no tool which can show how much power your gpu is drawing from wall .. however there are tools with which you can measure the laptop's overall power consumption or the power consumption of the gpu via pci-e slot for. eg. Keithley Integra 2700 :D
Does it work for all laptops ??
Thanks.

OP
topgear

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
may not all as it can measure power consumption via PCI-Express power connector(s) and PCI-Express bus slot anyway, I've never seen someone measuring laptop gpus power consumption except from the manufacturers but they must have some expensive and sophisticated hardware for that.

OP
topgear

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
hmm, nice idea and I've thought of something similar before but it may be either laziness or lack of time which made me refrain from doing it ;) but I'll do it for sure.
BTW, currently trying to figure out the puzzle of AMD FX vs Intel in gaming :D

sam_738844

Wise Old Owl
to all senior members in TDF...

Where is the TDF bench! Its been long since i came across any benchmarking done, extensive product reviews on newer GPU, CPU, architecture and their advantages, comparison bench, test bench, and more specially the over-clock bench. I'm not talking what other tech forums are doing and what TDF should do, but a very contributing part of a tech forum dictates that there should be a comprehensive section of where real bench-markings are done and discussed over. There are plethora of products to bench with, OC with, even OC guides on new GPUs, new CPUs...where are they?

The only thing i see over threads is copied versions of benchmarks from other forums like toms, anand, guru3d and so on and so forth, but TDF IMO should have their own bench team who does that, doesn't it? with a superior reader base and so many knowledgeable personnel here in this forum, why is there very few of real-time reviews?

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
can i reach the 900/2700 GPU/mem from 771/2500 with my GTX780m, i read that the power consumption will be higher than 191W in such oc'ed level where as my Power Supply is limited to 180W, is there any tool to check how much power my GPU is actually drawing from the wall despite the 10% loss in AC/DC conversion?

The hardware you need is called Kill-a-watt. It is connected between adapter and main power supply just like an extension cord. Google it.
If your motherboard's wattage requirement exceeds the supply then your screen will switch off, this has happened to many times when I was using stock 120w adapter.. Also all overclock will be lost but the kernel won't crash which happens when you OC too much.

Top Bottom