CPU Overclock List & Discussion Thread

Hrishi

@topgear if i go for a new mobo which can overclock intel e7500 upto 3.6 GHZ, suggest me some models and approx price.
Also i'll need a cooler , how much will it cost about?

Please tell me recommended max temperature on idle and 100% load (let prime95 for 10 min).

this cooler may give unwanted humidity to your cpu and components:p.

There is no water in the cooler , its Water-Pump has malfunctioned.

Sad to hear that it can not be overclocked from BIOS. Will it be worth to try overclocking using OS based application ?

OP
topgear

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
The PSU is enough.

@ sharang.d - temps are OK - aim for 4.5 Ghz - keep an eye on temps - don't let it cross over 85c under prime95 test but if it's a 24*7 then 80c should be the limit temp for prime95 test.

@ Alok - first try to reach 3.6 Ghz with the mobo you have - for cooler look for Cm Hyper TX3 at ~1.35k.

@ Rishi - there's no siftware available to oc the cpu using the mobo you have.

Alok

Adventurer
@topgear ok, now what i saw that when i set bus speed above 285 , system won't start(not even post).I googled and got idea to set my ram to 667 , now i can go further:-D but tell me , is this going to slow ram?

Currently at 3.41 GHZ :clap2:

One more question, before overclocking my fsb:ram was 2:3 but now its at 4:5. Is it ok ?

It seems now i can push cpu frequency "very far" after reducing ram clock. But i won't go above 3.4 ghz coz i don't have aftermarket cooler.

@ Alok - first try to reach 3.6 Ghz with the mobo you have.

i tried at 3.69 GHz(333 bus speed) and system started as it should. Idle temp were 37-40 'c. But i reverted back coz i don't want trouble.:-|

and i "didn't" touched vcore voltage yet and don't want since i heard it generates more heat.

Ok here is my report >

Oc clock= 3.41 ghz
fsb:ram=4:5
Intel c2d e7500
Asus p5kpl-am/ps
1 gb ram ddr2
Sapphire hd6790 ddr5
stock intel heatsink

did prime95 blend 512k test for 15 min> at 100% load temperature were constant 74-64(real temp 3.70)

after self-test 512k temperature were increasing about 75'c. I closed it then.

I use it for gaming at 1366x768, and don't think that heavy and stressful as Prime95.

played witcher 2, gta iv , street fighter iv , resident evil 5. Everything is fine.

*i49.tinypic.com/4rypm9.jpg

Last edited:

sharang.d

Youngling
@ sharang.d - temps are OK - aim for 4.5 Ghz - keep an eye on temps - don't let it cross over 85c under prime95 test but if it's a 24*7 then 80c should be the limit temp for prime95 test.

I'm fine with 4.2 for now :)
Would do more but it's not required :p

I wana do some RAM overclocking but no one tells me how :-x

OP
topgear

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
@topgear ok, now what i saw that when i set bus speed above 285 , system won't start(not even post).I googled and got idea to set my ram to 667 , now i can go further:-D but tell me , is this going to slow ram?

not much - the incresed CPu speed and FSB will compensate it ;-)

Currently at 3.41 GHZ :clap2:

One more question, before overclocking my fsb:ram was 2:3 but now its at 4:5. Is it ok ?

completely.

It seems now i can push cpu frequency "very far" after reducing ram clock. But i won't go above 3.4 ghz coz i don't have aftermarket cooler.

i tried at 3.69 GHz(333 bus speed) and system started as it should. Idle temp were 37-40 'c. But i reverted back coz i don't want trouble.:-|

and i "didn't" touched vcore voltage yet and don't want since i heard it generates more heat.

if you go above 3.4 Ghz now you need to do lot more stability testing using prime95 small FFT test at-least for an hour but before doing any such thing nte that you need a after market cooler and your mobo has no VRM region heatsink - so it's kinda risky. The best possible way to remain within safe zone is to find the max possible stable clock with default cpu vcore ;-)

Ok here is my report >

Oc clock= 3.41 ghz
fsb:ram=4:5
Intel c2d e7500
Asus p5kpl-am/ps
1 gb ram ddr2
Sapphire hd6790 ddr5
stock intel heatsink

looks good.

did prime95 blend 512k test for 15 min> at 100% load temperature were constant 74-64(real temp 3.70)

after self-test 512k temperature were increasing about 75'c. I closed it then.

I use it for gaming at 1366x768, and don't think that heavy and stressful as Prime95.

prime95 temps looks a little higher but this may be due to stock cooler or some issue with Realtemp - use hwinfo for load cpu temp.

played witcher 2, gta iv , street fighter iv , resident evil 5. Everything is fine.
*i49.tinypic.com/4rypm9.jpg

gaming temps are good but as I said use hwinfo and play BFBC2 - this will stress test your cpu and the OC too.

Alok

Adventurer
not much - the incresed CPu speed and FSB will compensate it ;-)
completely.
nice, thank you.
if you go above 3.4 Ghz now you need to do lot more stability testing using prime95 small FFT test at-least for an hour but before doing any such thing nte that you need a after market cooler and your mobo has no VRM region heatsink - so it's kinda risky. The best possible way to remain within safe zone is to find the max possible stable clock with default cpu vcore ;-)

yes i'll do everything to stay on default vcore.
I'm planning for Coolermaster tx3 as you suggested, its only 1.4k:).
what vrm ? Its for gpu cooling? Please explain.

prime95 temps looks a little higher but this may be due to stock cooler or some issue with Realtemp - use hwinfo for load cpu temp.
yes it seems due to stock cooler. Ok will test with hwinfo.

So what i understood so far that increasing bus speed won't generate that much heat but increasing vcore a little will significantly affect it. Ok ! I will try to get most stable clock without increasing vcore.

And i disabled C1E and EIST, fine? (i think these are just for power saving)

Thanks again for your help Topgear. I'm learning very fast.:-D

$$Lionking$$

In the zone
^ Staying at default Vcore is good but I dont think you're going to have any problems if you go a little bit over it.... I could get to a stable 3.1GHz(from 2.7GHz) on a 65nm AMD Dual Core using Asus 780G and VRM's were not compromised. Anyways on stock heatsink u shud be able to do anything between 3.5 & 3.8Ghz using that proc... depending on how much are you pushing and the cpu ofcourse...

Only reason to stick to default Vcore is that you have an MSI motherboard.

VRM - They provide power to CPU.... GPU have their own VRMs...

Alok

Adventurer
^ Staying at default Vcore is good but I dont think you're going to have any problems if you go a little bit over it.... I could get to a stable 3.1GHz(from 2.7GHz) on a 65nm AMD Dual Core using Asus 780G and VRM's were not compromised. Anyways on stock heatsink u shud be able to do anything between 3.5 & 3.8Ghz using that proc... depending on how much are you pushing and the cpu ofcourse...

Only reason to stick to default Vcore is that you have an MSI motherboard.

VRM - They provide power to CPU.... GPU have their own VRMs...

yeah , since i don't have aftermarket cooler ; only reason for not increasing vcore . Coz it leads to more heat.

Btw my cpu is 45nm.

OP
topgear

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^7500 is a great cpu and with proper mobo and good cooling they are known to go over 4 Ghz easily ;-)

AMD and Intel cpus have differnt volt tolerance level - AMD cpus can work with 1.55V with air cooling but for the Intel C2D cpus you should not go over 1.4v though more is possible using air cooling ( but do these at your own risk )

Here's a pic of cpu VRMs ( the little black boxes - 6 on pics )

*www.ixbt.com/mainboard/msi/dka790gx/vrm.jpg

here 's with passive cooling ie heatsink :

*techreport.com/r.x/p67-mobos/asus-socket.jpg

how far a cpu can be Oced depends on the cpu and the mobo's VRM quality, quantity and if the VRMs have proper cooling or not and not to mention a good PSU and cpu cooler.

rohit32407

Ambassador of Buzz
System specs are in signature.
4.2 GHz OC with -.050 offset and LLC to auto. Din't touch any other voltages. Just changed the phase control and duty cycle settings to extreme. Vcore under full load with prime95 stays at 1.230v. At idle it drops down to around .9v . Do I need to keep an eye on individual cores VID voltage also or just the Vcore? I am using HWiNFO to monitor.

Just done IBT high stress 20 cycles test. No issues till now. Prime95 Blend test running at the moment. If I am stable for lets say 3-4 hours then I will aim for 4.3. I just want to reach as high as possible without manually messing up with voltages.

rohit32407

Ambassador of Buzz
^^ I had to change it coz on everything to auto vcore was going around 1.290-1.3v which i thought was way too high for this kind of OC so played around with offset settings..

sharang.d

Youngling
I have the same 4.2 OC and I get 1.3 VCore as well on everything auto. I don't think auto settings would let it go to the higher side. Let's wait for someone else's input though :)

OP
topgear

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^
I don't think auto settings would let it go to the higher side

if you are talking about the cpu speed well you can go higher even with auto setting - the vcore will be increased with cpu speed increment ( upto a limit depends on mobo model and bios though ) so it's better to play manually with cpu vcore setting to find the optimum cpu vcore for a specific cpu speed.

rohit32407

Ambassador of Buzz
I have the same 4.2 OC and I get 1.3 VCore as well on everything auto. I don't think auto settings would let it go to the higher side. Let's wait for someone else's input though :)
This is what was happening with me. 1.3v for 4.2 was way too high IMO. So I played with offset settings. Now when my CPU is under 100 percent load LLC kicks in and vcore stays around 1.224 and when on idle its around .912. Although I think because of this Idle vcore my system is showing symptoms of instability. There is no problem in 100% load condition but when you are doing menial tasks then this can trigger a crash. no BSODs yet but I think its gonna happen soon. I am gonna try 1.23 manual vcore and LLC to auto and see what happens.

rohit32407

Ambassador of Buzz
I've been running 4.2ghz for a month now with auto vcore. No BSODs.
I trust my asus :p
at 4.2 with everything on auto BSOD was never a problem. The problem was high vcore when it wasnt required for such low OC. Thats why i changed vcore manually. When I tried -.050 offset with everything else on auto stress testing went fine bt menial tasks like browsing etc were showing symptoms of a crash(mouse starts to lag etc etc. No BSOD yet). So i have manually changed vcore to 1.23 and LLC to auto. Its stable till now. Blend test has been running for 2 hrs and no errors yet. IBT high stress test also went fine. Lets see what happens. If this goes fine then i may try for higher clocks(4.4-4.5)

sharang.d

Youngling
^By BSOD i meant including all other kinds of problems. I mean even when CPU is on full load @ 4.2 + auto vcore I don't get any of the symptoms you mentioned.. so I didn't manually change vcore.
Maybe it has got something to do with the rest of our hardware?

Top Bottom