CPU Overclock List & Discussion Thread

sharang.d

Youngling
Re: CPU Overclock List & Discussion Thread

Hyper 212+ is a good enough cooler for 4Ghz.
Prime95 is generally considered "the" software for testing the overclock. You could even turn to Intel Burn test later :)

You have a good cabinet as well. Maybe start with cleaning/dusting all the fans/vents and the components :)
1 day for cleaning and the remaining for overclocking :D

the screws provided withit just don't fit into the holes provided on the fan. I guess i will have to get it replaced or look for screws that do fit into it.

Even I ran into problems with fitting fans :(
The thing is that there's no threading in the cabinet at first. Threading happens as and when you put in the screws for the first time.
Check if your cabinet came with extra fan screws :)

ithehappy

Human Spambot
Yea, sure. I will clean my cabby and components today. Excluding today I will have another 3 full days free, that'd do I guess. Still I need to know the software with which I can start working with.

rohit32407

Ambassador of Buzz
Yea, sure. I will clean my cabby and components today. Excluding today I will have another 3 full days free, that'd do I guess. Still I need to know the software with which I can start working with.
I am not sure whether it would be possible to achieve 4.0 ghz on i7 950 with hyper 212+. Sandy bridge would have easily gone to 4.2-4.3 on your cooler not so sure about i7 950 though. Let others give their inputs maybe they can help you out with much more specific answer.

@Sharang.d The screws provided are fit for my cabinet, the problem is with the holes on the frame of fan. Either the holes are too small or the screws are too big. Its plastic body, so I don't wanna wrestle with it. I will check if there were any extra screws provided with the cabinet. I already have one same fan fitted as rear exhaust and there were no issues with fitting that one. But these srews with this same new fan look different and they definetly don't fit. If nothing works then I will have to use flipkarts 30 days replacement(which I swear is one of the best thing about flipkart).

OP
topgear

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ it's possible to reach ~4 Ghz but with Hyper 212+ high load temps would be an issue but if ithehappy has a D0 stepping cpu then he can reach 4 ghz with much less voltage and that should keep the cpu cool but still that may not be enough for core i7 950 @ 4 Ghz and Hyper 212+ - Op may get temps as high as 80-90c with stress test apps.

use Prime95 small FFT test or IBT and for temp monitoring use Hwinfo.

ithehappy

Human Spambot
@TG- Thanks pal. But what's D0 stepping CPU?
And I asked for a software with the help of which I'll be able to 'overclock' and change other settings, like voltage and all. I know about Prime and HWInfo :)

TIA.

sharang.d

Youngling

^Software overclocking gives at most 10% more overclock.
You're better off using your BIOS.

You can get to know your "Stepping" from the 1st tab in CPU-z

OP
topgear

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
@TG- Thanks pal. But what's D0 stepping CPU?
And I asked for a software with the help of which I'll be able to 'overclock' and change other settings, like voltage and all. I know about Prime and HWInfo :)

TIA.

for software try Asus AI Suite II

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
I am not sure whether it would be possible to achieve 4.0 ghz on i7 950 with hyper 212+. Sandy bridge would have easily gone to 4.2-4.3 on your cooler not so sure about i7 950 though. Let others give their inputs maybe they can help you out with much more specific answer.

4GHz in 950 with hyper 212+ isn't possible. You shouldn't even try it. 3.5 is the max limit upto which you may push your 950. I would ay 3.4 is the safe limit.

P.S. I can see everywhere in this forum that people are tallking about overclocking frequency without mentioning the architecture they are talking about. For example, that post which promopted you in posting this was most prolly referring to sandybridge overclocking. Stop this practice for maintaining good quality of discussion.

rohit32407

Ambassador of Buzz
Yes i agree with you. I searched through google and many other forums before replying to him. All i could find was that trying to reach 4.0 ghz on i7 950 with hyper 212+ was not a good idea but since I wasn't sure hence the text you have quoted. I would have advised to stay around 3.5 but he said he already had a 3.7 ghz stable overclock, so I didn't comment on it.

P.S. yes the post above mine suggested that 4.0ghz was easily achievable but when I looked at the signature of OP i saw a totally different processor than sandy bridge thats why i replied like that. OP also didn't mention his processor in his post so I assumed that the processor in his signature is the one he is asking about.

Last edited:

ithehappy

Human Spambot
4GHz in 950 with hyper 212+ isn't possible. You shouldn't even try it. 3.5 is the max limit upto which you may push your 950. I would ay 3.4 is the safe limit.
If you've read my post I had clearly stated that I successfully overclocked to 3.7 using my bios, temp was within limitation too. So I thought if I could push further.
And I don't get your Sandybridge comment. Are you saying this topic is only for SB CPUs?

sharang.d

Youngling

System specs are in signature.
4.2 GHz OC with -.050 offset and LLC to auto. Din't touch any other voltages. Just changed the phase control and duty cycle settings to extreme. Vcore under full load with prime95 stays at 1.230v. At idle it drops down to around .9v . Do I need to keep an eye on individual cores VID voltage also or just the Vcore? I am using HWiNFO to monitor.

Just done IBT high stress 20 cycles test. No issues till now. Prime95 Blend test running at the moment. If I am stable for lets say 3-4 hours then I will aim for 4.3. I just want to reach as high as possible without manually messing up with voltages.
Tried -0.50 offset like you and my temp under load went down by 5 whole degrees!

4.2Ghz with 1.264Vcore and 60 degrees temp.

Last edited:
OP
topgear

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you've read my post I had clearly stated that I successfully overclocked to 3.7 using my bios, temp was within limitation too. So I thought if I could push further.
And I don't get your Sandybridge comment. Are you saying this topic is only for SB CPUs?

what's the load temp you are getting at 3.7 Ghz ( and vcore ?? ) - 4 Ghz - well many have not reached that much without overheating issues ( core i7 950+ Hyper 212+ combo ) but if your's is a very good cpu chip ( High binned chips ) and has no heating issues you might be the one who would take the core i7 950 to 4 Ghz using Hyper 212+ - ready to set a new record ? ;-) and this thread is for any ( OCable ) cpu .

rohit32407

Ambassador of Buzz

Tried -0.50 offset like you and my temp under load went down by 5 whole degrees!

4.2Ghz with 1.264Vcore and 60 degrees temp.
Nice! yes the temps will go down for sure as your under load Vcore has dropped down by almost .1v . But if you see signs of crashes while doing menial tasks like browsing etc. try setting 1.26v manually and then reduce vcore gradually to find the lowest stable vcore. Main problem for me while using offset was that when it was under full load it ran smoothly but when I was doing lite tasks like browsing or watching videos etc I could see sign of crashes. I guess it has something to do with the drop in vcore while its idle.

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!

No. I meant to say that when anyone is talking about overclocking, he should mention the architecture of the processor while posting about overclocking limit. Cause different architecture have different overclocking procedure and different amount of heat emission. Thus different type of cooling is needed for different architecture. So just pointing out the architecture while posting about OC'ing will help everyone to understand the topic and discussion properly.

sharang.d

Youngling

Nice! yes the temps will go down for sure as your under load Vcore has dropped down by almost .1v . But if you see signs of crashes while doing menial tasks like browsing etc. try setting 1.26v manually and then reduce vcore gradually to find the lowest stable vcore. Main problem for me while using offset was that when it was under full load it ran smoothly but when I was doing lite tasks like browsing or watching videos etc I could see sign of crashes. I guess it has something to do with the drop in vcore while its idle.
Hmm..
anyway I've set offset to -0.055 @ 4.3GHz now
Ran Intel Burn Test(High), Prime95, Unigine Heaven, 3D Mark 11, MaxxxMem2, HyperPi. Temp never even crossed 70 C :D
Everything's stable :D

Last edited:

rohit32407

Ambassador of Buzz

Hmm..
anyway I've set offset to -0.055 @ 4.2GHz now
Ran Intel Burn Test(High), Prime95, Unigine Heaven, 3D Mark 11, MaxxxMem2, HyperPi. Temp never even crossed 70 C :D
Everything's stable :D
As long as everything is stable, enjoy! but in case you see any signs of crash while doing normal tasks like browsing etc. try what I have told you in my last post. What is your idle vcore? Is speedstep enabled?

sharang.d

Youngling

^Idle Vcore is 0.926V
Yes EIST is enabled.
No crashes even when idle.

@All why isn't there any option to set VCCIO in my BIOS? I can see only VCCSA.
Need to increase VCCIO to OC my ram. Help will be appreciated.
Could not find VCCIO setting in both 1204 as well as 1506 BIOS version. Mobo: ASUS P8Z77-V PRO

Also it's 4.3Ghz and not 4.2GHz

sharang.d

Youngling

Gonna OC to 4.4/4.5 Ghz next week :D

What's the appropriate VCore for it?

Top Bottom