CPU Overclock List & Discussion Thread

rohit32407

Ambassador of Buzz
^^ possibly yes plus different chips behave differently. Whats your vcore under full load? But i have to agree with you on one point that asus really has optimised all the auto settings brilliantly.

rohit32407

Ambassador of Buzz
^^ thats pretty high I think for 4.2 OC. You can goto 4.4-4.5 with that much vcore(maybe even more if you have a good chip). Same was happening with me. My vcore on everything on auto was going around 1.3v thats why I set it manually and its stable. helped me to get my temps down as well. Now with prime95 running vcore stays at 1.2 max.

rohit32407

Ambassador of Buzz
^^ Hottest core=58-59
coolest core=52(core 0 or 1st core)
core package= 57-58
cpu tcase temp= 46
Ambient temperature here is 28-30
These temps are after 1.5 hrs of prime95 blend test.
Add 5-8 degrees more for IBT testing.

Last edited:

rohit32407

Ambassador of Buzz
^^ As mentioned above 28-30 degrees. Whats your core temps at max load? Also mention the ambient temperature please.

sharang.d

Youngling
30C ambient
65C Max temp on prime95
I should try lowering Vcore like you did to get lower temp but the thing is that CPU is never on full load so im not really worried about the temp @ 4.2GHz
What's your idle temp?

rohit32407

Ambassador of Buzz
^If 65C is the core temp and not the cpu tcase temp then I think you don't need to do anything but yes lowering vcore will surely help with temps.

Well idle temps are whole other story. 2 cores stay at 42 while the other two stay around 33-35. At first i thought i have made some mistake in either installing HSF or applying TIM. So I redid all of that 3 times and still the same result. But since load temps were perfectly fine so I don't care about idle temps much. Cpu Tcase idle temp is around 32 if ambient is 26-28 and 34-35 if ambient is around 28-30.

sharang.d

Youngling
I just wanted to know performance of your Cooler so asked about your CPU idle temp :D
Also where to view CPU tcase temp? The one we see in ASUS Suite?

My idle never goes beyond 40 :D
Hovers around 35 most of the time..

rohit32407

Ambassador of Buzz
yes thats the one or the one you see in HWiNFO under nuvoton section. Will try 4.5 tomorrow then it will be a real test for this cooler as vcore will surely go beyond 1.3 :p

sharang.d

Youngling
Okay thanks.
Ran prime95 Blend test for 36mins.
Max values recorded:
Cpu tcase -> 51C
Max core -> 71C
Vcore -> 1.344

Are these values okay?

tkin

Back to school!!
Everything is ok as long as its below 75c, period. And 80 would be danger line, 85 is max limit for insane ocs.

rohit32407

Ambassador of Buzz
Okay thanks.
Ran prime95 Blend test for 36mins.
Max values recorded:
Cpu tcase -> 51C
Max core -> 71C
Vcore -> 1.344

Are these values okay?
For that vcore and hyper 212 evo I think you are fine there :)
I don't know why but Intel recommends to monitor tcase temp and to keep it below 72.6 degrees max for i5 2500k. But if the core is getting hot beyond its limit then what good is tcase even if its below the max limit? I don't understand the logic behind their this particular recommendation.

OP
topgear

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ even I don't and Intel has no interest in publicly reveal it's cpu's core temp and same goes for AMD as well - why not cpu manufacturers are interested in specify tjmax ( cpu core ) temp is a great mystery to me and it's really a PITA to find the accurate tjmax temp of a cpu.

rohit32407

Ambassador of Buzz
^^ Just about perfect :wink:. You can still lower your vcore but your temps are great for your cooler and that vcore :)

sharang.d

Youngling
The thing is that I have decided I will never touch any kind of voltage option before buying the PC and I'm definitely gonna follow it :)
So yeah this is my final OC. Won't OC the CPU any more. Working on RAM OC now *devil* :D

Also you are right the kind of cooling my Hyper 212 EVO gives is really good. Didn't even buy an extra fan. Just with the single stock fan :D
Maybe its the overall effect of the ventilation inside the cabinet.
I have the members here to thank for that of course. Corsair 400R and especially the Silverstone air penetrator 120mm are doing their job wonderfully :)

rohit32407

Ambassador of Buzz
^ yes I think your cabinet is definetly helping alot. In my cabinet everything is looking too cramped. As if everything has been just squeezed. Will think about going for a better cabinet in a month or two maybe. My front intake fan only cools down HDDs. I don't think even a bit of air from it comes to the actual area of all vital components. Ordered this fan from flipkart Cooler Master 90 CFM LED Cooler | Cooler | Flipkart.com . Got it yesterday but the screws provided withit just don't fit into the holes provided on the fan. I guess i will have to get it replaced or look for screws that do fit into it.

ithehappy

Human Spambot
Guys I have some free time over the next few days and I wanna OC my CPU manually this time. I have already OC'ed (haven't applied the settings however) from my BIOS up to 3.7 GHz rock stable, with the lowest voltage and other modified settings. But I wanna OC it further, maybe 4.0 GHz if it's possible with my basic Hyper 212+. So firstly what software should I use? And as far as I remember I used Prime95 tests to check temp and stability, shall I keep using that or a better app is preferred? I will at first apply the settings of my 3.7 GHz OC and then tweak from there as needed.

Thanks in adv.

Top Bottom