CPU/Chipset News

OP
comp@ddict

comp@ddict

EXIT: DATA Junkyard
Re: INTEL/AMD NEWS Channel

^^Earlier, only Core i7 i940 was to be discontinued, only to be replaced by the similarly priced i950 with higher speed. But if the i920 is gone, then people will be forced to buy i5 if they want i7-LIKE-Performance

EDIT:
Core i5 review/preview

*anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=3570&p=3

Last edited:

CHEAPEST AM3 3-way crossfirex motherboard hits the shelves.
*www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157161

LOOK AT THE DAMN PRICE. Sh!t. We have nothing like that in India.

j1n M@tt

Cyborg Agent

^^don't look at newegg prices...u will get P5Q Deluxe at 5k in newegg without box, and here we get it for 12-13k.

^^don't look at newegg prices...u will get P5Q Deluxe at 5k in newegg without box, and here we get it for 12-13k.
without box ==> refurb. Here too we get for less price.

Anyway, 90$ @ newegg is 4500 rupees and most of the time it should easily come @ Rs. 5500 to India. I'm telling after comparing the usual CPU prices.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!

after looking at Anandtech article, it looks like AMD has a good chance of getting back it's market share now. A good price cut on 920 and 940 and 970FX/GX will put AMD right on top of Intel Core i5.

PS: That new LGA1156 socket and processor looks terribly ugly :)

OP
comp@ddict

comp@ddict

^^ INTEL is going bad in public's mind, they are discontinuing Core i7 i920. aka no i7 for below 562$!!!

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!

They had minimal competition for two years and now that AMD is back with Phenom II, they are in a confused state.

But yet, They fear that if i7 920 and 940 are availble, nobody will buy i5. People will either go for i7 or Phenom II.

Actually AMD's not as safe as it looks. Intel can add lot more price cuts to i5 than Phenom II. Because i5 is sized similar to Core2 Duo CPUs while Phenom II is sized similar to Core i7 CPUs.

Unless they own silicon mines and have a patented high yeild process for ultra-purification of silicon not found anywhere else, AMD is set to make lot less profits than Intel.

afonofa

Journeyman

Maybe the Intel/AMD and Nvidia/Ati threads should not exist, because after every news there are going to be many comments and even without news there are going to be many comments.

So very soon these two threads will become difficult to keep track off and then those who are not able to check them regularly will most likely miss out on interesting/important news.

I think the old system of different threads for each piece of news (about intel,amd,nvidia) was better. Old news threads can be moved to a trash section as and when they become obsolete.

OP
comp@ddict

comp@ddict

Make up ur mind, once there were complaints to my threads for interesting enws and how it cramped up technology section. Now when that's resolved, this!

AMD Launches Six-Core Istanbul Opteron Processor

AMD today announced availability of the world’s first six-core server processor with Direct Connect Architecture for two-, four- and eight-socket servers. Six-Core AMD Opteron processors (code-named “Istanbul”) extend AMD’s commitment to offering server customers superior value at every price point with unmatched platform flexibility.

• Six-Core AMD Opteron processors leverage existing platform infrastructure and a low-cost, power-efficient DDR-2 memory architecture which can help lower system acquisition costs;
  • HPC, virtualization and database workloads can benefit from increased 4P STREAM memory bandwidth of up to 60 percent enabled by HyperTransport technology HT Assist, which helps reduce processor to processor latency and traffic;
  • AMD Virtualization (AMD-V) technology and the AMD-P suite of power management features are available across all performance and power bands, ensuring no-compromise choice;
  • The new Six-Core AMD Opteron processor has up to 34 percent more performance-per-watt over the previous generation quad-core processors in the exact same platform.

*www.techpowerup.com/95792/AMD_Launches_Six-Core_Istanbul_Opteron_Processor.html

FULL REVIEW - *techreport.com/articles.x/17005/

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Athlon II X2 250 reviewed!

he Athlon II X2 250 by AMD is built on the new 45nm process which offers better processor and graphical performance and efficiency. The Athlon II X2 250 is also compatible with both AM2+ and the new AM3 sockets for maximum compatibility, flexibility, and performance. The Athlon series has been a very influential line and a line of processors full of firsts, thanks to AMD, and will be having their ten year anniversary in June. The Athlon line was the first to break the 1GHz point for a standard processor and the first to produce a processor for desktops to be capable of running a 64-bit operating system.

*www.hitechlegion.com/reviews/processors/741-amd-athlon-ii-x2-250

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Phenom II X2 550 B.E. reviewed

The all new AMD Phenom II X2 550 Black Edition processor is a dual core processor built on the AM3 Phenom architecture, but with the lower cost of a dual core processor. The AMD Phenom II X2 550 Black Edition processor was designed to bridge the gap between increased performance and lower cost by utilizing advanced technologies and reverse compatibility, fused with the unlocked multipliers for additional performance enhancements. The AMD Phenom II X2 550 BE processor, unlike the other X2 dual cores currently offered from AMD, benefits from being built on the Dragon platform as a Phenom II AM3 die, allowing for the X2 to be utilized with DDR3 RAM on AM3 boards or be utilized on older motherboards featuring reverse compatibility.

*www.hitechlegion.com/reviews/processors/742-amd-phenom-ii-x2-550-black-edition

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OVERCLOCKING

*www.driverheaven.net/reviews.php?reviewid=784&pageid=11

Last edited:

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!

Intel debuts three new Core 2 Duo procs, new SU2700 ULV chip and GS40 Express Chipset

It doesn't take an Intel-salaried futurist to see that extended battery life and thin form factors are kind of a big deal going forward, while price and performance aren't getting swept away either -- it's been basically the ongoing state of the laptop industry since time began (as Intel has so helpfully illustrated for us). What is new is that form factors and bang-for-buck is truly getting wild of late, and Intel's latest crop of chips should help keep moving things along. In the high end, Intel's Core 2 Duo processor is breaking 3GHz with the 3.06GHz T9900 in the high end, alongside the new P9700 and P8800 chips. Meanwhile, the Pentium SU2700 is a 1.3GHz ULV chip for stuffing in everybody's next low-cost thin and light, while Intel is also introducing the GS40 Express Chipset as a scaled-down, lower power alternative to the GS45, likely for similar aims. No word on price points or availability just yet.

source: Engadget.

*www.engadget.com/2009/06/02/intel-debuts-three-new-core-2-duo-procs-new-su2700-ulv-chip-and/

OP
comp@ddict

comp@ddict

Lookie here, guru3d's Athlon/Phenom II X2 review:
*www.guru3d.com/article/athlon-ii-x2-250-and-phenom-ii-x2-550-be-review/

^^ all previous ones had no intel comparison.

I want benchmarks with comparisons to Intel E5200, E5400, E6300 2.0, E7400, E8400 and E8600 :mad:

^^ all previous ones had no intel comparison.

I want benchmarks with comparisons to Intel E5400, E6300 2.0, E7400, E8400 and E8600 :mad:

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member

Intel Announces New SU2700 CPU, GS40 Chipset

Intel announces new CULV chip with matching mobile chipset.

The past year has been one of the netbook, partially made possible with the Intel Atom processor. While netbooks were modestly powered, they were top notch when it came to portability and battery life. But for the consumer who wants a little more power (and style), Intel’s consumer ultra low voltage processors are here.

Intel announced several new chips at Computex today, one being the 1.3 GHz SU2700. The CULV chip features a thermal design power 10W, which compares favorably to the standard volt processors TDP of 25W to 35W. Such chips are suitable for laptops 0.8- to 1-inch thick, weighing 2 to 5 pounds that are quieter and typically have longer battery life (Intel estimates over 7 hours with a 57WHr battery) at mainstream system price points.

Intel also introduced the new GS40 chipset to go along with the new ULV chips, which features an HDMI output – which should be put to good use thanks to the added power of the Core 2 Duo that simply isn’t part of the Atom’s arsenal (at least not without a little help from the Nvidia Ion).

"With an ultra-thin laptop powered by Intel ultra-low voltage processors, consumers experience a unique balance of performance and power consumption that is incomparable in the market today – all in a slim, sleek package," said Mooly Eden, vice president and general manager of the Mobile Platforms Group at Intel. "And at mainstream price points, Intel is proud to deliver ultra thin for all."

Stay tuned for more from Computex throughout the week.

Source : *www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-culv-cpu-chipset-notebook,7938.html

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member

AMD Releases 6-Core Istanbul Ahead of Schedule

Istanbul is here.

AMD’s ‘Istanbul’ Opteron CPUs are now shipping ahead of schedule. AMD claims the processor will produce 34 percent more performance than the existing "Shanghai" quad-core processor at the same power requirements.

Originally, the 45-nm Istanbul had been scheduled to ship later in the year, but AMD president and CEO Dirk Meyer said that the company decided to "pull in" the timetable.

The six-core server processor integrates with two-, four- and eight-socket servers using AMD’s Direct Connect Architecture

AMD said that systems based on the six-core Opteron processors are expected to be available beginning this month from Cray, Dell, HP, IBM and Sun Microsystems. HE, SE and EE versions are planned for the second half of 2009.

AMD listed the following as key features of its latest Opteron:

Six true cores
HyperTransport Technology Assist (HT Assist)
Increased HT3 bandwidth
AMD-P power management technologies
AMD Virtualization (AMD-V) technology
Same power/thermal ranges as Quad-Core AMD Opteron processors

So, what’s next for the Opteron? Look out for 12 cores in 2010 and an even more impressive 16 cores by 2011.

*www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-opteron-istanbul-six-core,7937.html

OP
comp@ddict

comp@ddict

I think Athlon Neo Dual Core is a better bet against INTEL's SUPER EXPENSIVE CULV proccs.

The prices of the six core are between 2200-2700 $ so we won't be getting them to our desktop anytime soon! But they sure might compete against the over-priced 4 core nehalem server proccs.

I want benchmarks with comparisons to Intel E5400, E6300 2.0, E7400, E8400 and E8600
The Phenom II X2 550 B.E. beats the E8400 3GHz hands down, in almost all benchies, and most importantly gaming!
The Athlon II X2 250 should beat the Core 2 Duo E7500 2.93GHz.

And when it comes to price, AMD is the way to go!!!!!!!!!!!!

Top Bottom