core i5 upgrade required

OP
H

hsnayvid

Journeyman
@vicky..
If that is the case.. then I'll buy discreet graphics somewhere down the line..
5450 should suffice win7 + 1080p movies for the time being.

Guys some suggestion for a good mobo/mouse combo...

Ishu Gupta

Manchester United
Gigabyte GA-P55-USB3 @ 6k
Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD2 @ 6k
Code:
Differences
USB3                         UD2
ATX                          MATX
2 PCIe (16x and 4x)          1 PCIe (16x)
8 Sata ports                 5 Sata ports
IDE                          eSATA, Firewire,IDE

aby geek

Cyborg Agent
well i will never say yes to lynnfield as it dies on jan 9. you should have gone for sandy bridge. but the current scenario says that you should not wait more then december 20 for sandy bridge motherboard lists.

and since you are getting a second hand 760 iam not protesting much :D though iam suspiciious that your friend will himself go for sandy bridge lol.

by the way guys can cx400 handle gts450 , ithink thats the best card op can go for , not sure though if hell be able to get 550 riding on that. do seasonic 400 and 430 make any sense here?

and for mobo go Msi p55 cd 53 or msi p55 gd65 awesome boards.
and your usage asks for a greater monitor than graphic card.so you can get a good psu and display and add a entry level card. 5450 is concidered htpc god though.

Ishu Gupta

Manchester United
^
He will have to wait for minimum 2 months if he wants SB.

And his friend would have given away his mobo too if he wanted SB. :D

aby geek

Cyborg Agent
@ still his friend can go with 870 too, or may be he sealed the deal on the mobo with someone else and could't get a buyer for the proccy.

and no man it doesnt take that long if SB launches on jan 9 it will start getting listed by 14th nd you can get them aftter 20th.

i suspect that since ther is no hype for 1155 mobos we will initially have proccy and mobo bundls for SB.

Last edited:

Cilus

laborare est orare
Regarding your Graphics card, dump the HD 5450. The reason is it is a DirectX11 capable HTPC graphics card and even low end gaming is hardly possible. And for watching HD content DirectX 11 is of no use.
Get a ASUS HD 4670 1 GB GDDR3 graphics card. Prcing will be almost same or little lower (3.9K) compared to HD 5450. IT will serve yout HTPC purpose as well as provide some muscles to play games also in lower/middle setting. It is a DirectX 10.1 capable card.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
^^

Err cilus i think he already has a spare 5450.So he is not in the mood of buying any card.

OP
H

hsnayvid

Journeyman
@aby..
Cant wait for more than 20th dec.. sandy bridge is out of question.
Lemme check the MSI boards.. will update shortly.

@cilus..
no graphic card update for now..

@all..
how about msi p55 boards..
there are so many of them.. any ideas/experiences?

aby geek

Cyborg Agent
my point is that do buy in december but wait for SB news as long as you can ,that you will be able to decide what you would buy if you had to buy sandy bridge,and currently you can spend on lynfield keeping in mind your place where you fall in the SB buyers categories.

so if you do save on current purchase you can put it in a piggy bank labelled SB upgrade funds for later :D

msi p55 gd65 is a good board , any design flaws can only be explainedby sorceror and others

OP
H

hsnayvid

Journeyman
@aby..

was in no mood of an upgrade.. m pretty happy with my c2d E4500.. but need to buy the pc latest by 30 dec, so all comparisons need to be done ahead.. since there is no news of sb till now.. m thinking of purchasing this week as waiting for the news will be a waste of time.

Have also committed my friend that i'll get his processor..

aby geek

Cyborg Agent
so if you are happy with e4500 why the upgrade ,just to please your friend ?

go ahead any way the chipset z68 is still under dev and p67 ,h67 h61 dont look that exciting.

i hope i dont have to buy a bloomfield in march due to crappy work by intel lol.

OP
H

hsnayvid

Journeyman
@aby.. not to please my friend..

my brother need a pc.. will pass this one on to him..
He leaves in first week on jan, so need to get the new pc ready by then.

S_V

In the zone
@hsnayvid

I didn't have time to read other posts, so here it is my opinion and don't know whether others suggested or not...

One key point

If you are not buying graphics card for now because of SMPS.. I suggest you to go for AMD or if you insist you want i5 only... Then your choices are limited..

How can u use i5 760 if you don't want graphics card.

Only H55 chipset with i5 6 series does support on board CPU/GPU graphics. Not other CPU series have this option....
Even if you Use H55 with I5 760 then also you can't use since that processor doesn't have Intel HD graphics option.....

so you must use Graphics card to get it run with i5 760....

sorry if i miss anything here....

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
@S_V

You are absolutely correct buddy.i3's and i5 6 series come with on chip graphics core which can be used using an h55 or h57 chipset but not p55 ones.

So op cannot use i5 760 without a discrete gpu and i had posted this before in this thread.

OP
H

hsnayvid

Journeyman
@S_V..

bro.. I will use the hd5450 that i already have with i5 760.
I am getting a pretty sweet deal on the i5 so will go with that..

vicky has already pointed out these points earlier.

i will upgade my graphics card if the need arises but not before july 2011.

have also decided to get the Corsair CX400 PSU. hope it will suffice my needs. I think there is CX430 also available in the same range.

The following is the final list:
Core i5 760 @7.5k
G.Skill 2x2GB DDR3 1333MHz @ 3k / will check availability of OCZ as well.
Seagate 1TB 7200.12 @ 2.8k
Corsair CX400W @ 2.7k
Sapphire HD5450 1GB DDR3 -- Already Have.

Still need to decide which P55 mobo I'll buy.

S_V

In the zone
I have P7P55D left with me, which i used just 10 days before i upgraded to i7.. I bought it for 10,500 . If you want we can do deal ,my brothers stay in Noida/Delhi.

That is 100% working very good board and you have regular warranty from ASUS too..

aby geek

Cyborg Agent
keviv i s the ud2 better than msi p55 cd 53 coz that i also 6k.

hsnayvid if it doesnt upset your budget go for msi p55 gd 65.its in the 7-9k range i believe.

Top Bottom