core i5 upgrade required

hsnayvid

Journeyman
1. What is the purpose of the computer? (Note: If you are planning to say multimedia, you will have to be more specific as all types of systems are capable of doing that)
A: Hi def Movies, Photoshop, Web browsing and Word processing

2. Are you open to alternate ideas/products giving similar better performance but offering more VFM/ sellers? If not- why?
A: Yes, but looking for a Core i5 based PC.

3. What is your MAX budget?
A: 25K

4. Planning to overclock?
A: NO

5. Which OS are you planning to use?
A: Win XP SP3 + Win 7

6. How much hard drive space is needed?
A: 1TB

7. What resolution will the screen run at & whats the size of the screen you want?
A: 1920x1080 - 24" on Dell S2408W

8. How would you rate your hardware knowledge from the count of 1-10? (1 being the lowest, 5 being you are somewhat in sync with the current performers and 10 being the highest)
A: 8

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
A: Built several PCs..

10. When are you planning to buy the system?
A: Dec 2010

11. Are you one of the types looking out for "future proof" configurations?
A: Yes, i will prefer usb 3.0 support

12. Are there going to be any components that you don't want to include in this new rig? If yes, do mention.
A: I have the following readily available with me:
a) Dell S2408W (HDMI),
b) Cooler Master elite 330 cabinet,
c) Cooler master 400W PSU,
d) Samsung DVD Writer,
e) Microtek 800VA UPS,
f) Creative Inspire 4.1 Channel

13. Which city do you live in and are you open to buying from shops from other city/states?
A: Ghaziabad.. will buy from Nehru Place, Delhi

14. Mention any other points if deemed necessary
A: It will be great it the mobo has an HDMI port with graphics decent enuf to support rendering of Full HD Movies. (since my psu is 400W, i'll prefer to avoid buying a graphic card.)

Thankyou 'The Sorcerer' for the above template!

Also wanted to know when we can expect new Sandy Bridge processors in the market??

Last edited:

Cilus

laborare est orare
Phenom II X4 955 (3.2 GHz, 2 MB L2, 6 MB L3)@ 7.3K
MSI 880GMA-E45 @ 5.8k
2X2 GB Kingston/Gskill 1333 MHz DDR3 @ 3.1K
Seagate 1 TB SATA @ 2.7K
Zotac GT 240 512 MB GDDR5 @ 4.8K or Biostar GT 240 1 GB GDDR3 @ 4.2K
Logitech Keyboard & Mouse @ 0.7K

Total 23.8K. This is very good for Photo-shop as a fast quad core with 6 MB of L3 cache is the heart of the sysetm. So Photo shop as well as other multithreaded multimedia applications will have serious perform boost. The Graphics card present on your system has CUDA so all those multimedia software and HD movie playback will have serious performance boost.
It can be handled by your PSU. The motherboard is having USB3 and SATA3 also.

Last edited:

Ishu Gupta

Manchester United
Core i5 760 @ 9.8k
Gigabyte GA-P55-USB3 @ 6k
G.Skill 2x2GB DDR3 1333MHz @ 3k
MSI HD5670 @ 4.7k
Seagate 1TB 7200.12 @ 2.8k
Keyboard & Mouse @ 0.5k
TOTAL 26.8K

AMD option (More Future proof IMO)
Phenom II X6 1075T @ 9.7k
Gigabyte GA-880GMA-UD2H @ 5.5k
TOTAL 26.2k

Sandybridge will come around end of January.

EDIT : This card will run on your PSU.

ssb1551

Technomancer
But OP aint into gaming much so I think Cilus's suggestion of 240 would be better for OP.

Cilus

laborare est orare
ssb1551, you are right again:).
I've suggested GT 240 because of its CUDA support as CUDA is much mature than ATI APP. But in gaming HD 5670 is better.

OP
H

hsnayvid

Journeyman
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the immediate replies.

I have acquired a spare Sapphire HD5450 1GB and will use that on this system. I think it will be enuf for 1080p videos. Gaming is not a requirement at all. Whats your take on this?

@Cilus
Photoshop is not that much of a priority. It is just a hobby that i pursue once in a while. I have nothing against AMD Processors, but m looking specifically for a Core i5 upgrade, this time round.

@Ishu
I will buy in Dec 2010.. So looks like Sandybridge is out of the question for the time being.

Last edited:

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
Yup 5450 is enough. But i5 will be a waste for ur needs. I suggest this.

AMD Athlon II x4 640 @ 5k
Gigabyte GA 880GMA UD2H @ 5.5k
G.Skill 4GB DDR3 1333MHz Ripjaws Kit @ 3.7k
Corsair CX400W @ 2.7k

Total - 19.7k

get another 1TB Hdd if u want for movies with rest of money.

OP
H

hsnayvid

Journeyman
@jaskanwar
I might double up two 1tb hdds or get an external one as I don't have that either with the money saved from the card. M looking to buy Intel Core i5 this time only.
According to the reviews 760 is great processor cant decide on the mobo though!
I already have Cooler Maser 400W Power supply. Do I need another one?

whats with G.Skill.. every one seems to suggest this but I've never heard of this brand.. until recently.. Thought the prices are well comparable to Kingston Modules. Whatever happened to Corsair/OCZ and others..

Guys, another thing that I'd like to know is what is difference between dual and triple channel DDR3?

ssb1551

Technomancer
Which CM series PSU is that?Extreme or Real Power Pro?If its extreme 400W then chuck it & get something else.
Can we get OCZ in India??Even I wanna know from where...

OP
H

hsnayvid

Journeyman
@ssb..

Just checked..CM PSU is extreme power plus 390W.
OCZ is easily available in nehru place, delhi. Currently I am using OCZ RAM.

ssb1551

Technomancer
@ssb..

Just checked..CM PSU is extreme power plus 390W.
OCZ is easily available in nehru place, delhi. Currently I am using OCZ RAM.

Definitely chuck that & go for CX400 like Jas suggested!!Or FSP Saga II 400W for a cheaper option.
DAMN!!Wish I wer in Delhi.Even SMC don't have OCZ!!

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
@jaskanwar
I might double up two 1tb hdds or get an external one as I don't have that either with the money saved from the card. M looking to buy Intel Core i5 this time only.
According to the reviews 760 is great processor cant decide on the mobo though!
I already have Cooler Maser 400W Power supply. Do I need another one?

whats with G.Skill.. every one seems to suggest this but I've never heard of this brand.. until recently.. Thought the prices are well comparable to Kingston Modules. Whatever happened to Corsair/OCZ and others..

Guys, another thing that I'd like to know is what is difference between dual and triple channel DDR3?

Buddy Jaskanwar is right. For your needs the i5 760 will be an overkill and you really don't need that much processor grunt for the apps you mentioned. So no need in investing for the 760 as it will be waste of money for your needs and i5 6series are not at all VFM.

The config Jas suggested is really good for your needs and will more than enough or even better than that(trust me).
But if you want intel only then go for the i3 540 which is a good proccy at about the same price as that of athlon 2 x4 640.

And talk about psu, u need to change your existing one and go for corsair cx400 or if budget is low then fsp saga II 400 cause cm extreme series is not good at all.With these psu's you can invest in a better gpu later.

OP
H

hsnayvid

Journeyman
@ico..
Done.. Corsair CX400W is final.

@ssb..
I got mine from SMC Delhi. I'll check if they still stock OCZ whenever I'll visit NP for buying the PC.

@vicky..
I know that Phenom II X4 955 is a great processor, and will serve me well. But the reason for moving to core i5 is that I will get Core i5 760 from a friend, less than a month old for around 7.5K, which is a sweet deal. I have already committed to him that I'll get the processor. He is not parting with his mobo/ram etc.

@all..
The following is final:
Core i5 760 @7.5k
G.Skill 2x2GB DDR3 1333MHz @ 3k / will check availability of OCZ as well.
Corsair CX400W @ 2.7k
Sapphire HD5450 1GB DDR3 -- Already Have.

Still meed to decide on:
Mobo - Please give me a few suggestions.
K/b + Mouse - I am having Logitech Cordless Desktop k/b + Cordless Mouse Kit from '06, now it is getting old. Need a replacement, would prefer wireless combo. Any suggestions.

Last edited:

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
@ hsnayvid

Grab that i5 760. Sweet deal man. Get a good p55 board (the gigabyte one ishu suggested is great) and change that 5450 to a better gpu later to unleash the i5 760.

OP
H

hsnayvid

Journeyman
@vicky..

changing that 5450 will be a distant dream for now. I have confirmed him for the i5.
lemme check the Gigabyte GA-P55-USB3.

@all..

Any other suggestions for mobo and k/b nd mouse?

OP
H

hsnayvid

Journeyman
@vicky..
Gigabyte GA-P55-USB3 looks great.
Please advise whether I should go for an integrated video mobo and chuck that 5450 all together?

What is the status of SATA3 Technology???

@Karan..
I'll Get 1TB Seagate and pair it up with my existing 500GB will have a 1.5TB HDD.. More than enuf for movies for now..

Last edited:

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
@ hsnayvid

Buddy you cannot go for an integrated graphics solution in case of i5 760 because it doesn't have on chip graphics core. The i3's and i5 6series(crap series) have it but are totally not worth it. Intel mobo's no longer have integrated video solution in them.

For i5 760 using a discrete video card is MANDATORY. Ditch the 5450 and go for something substantial. Give us your budget for a discrete card and we can suggest you one.

Last edited:

NITIN BHUWANIA

Broken In
@ico..
Done.. Corsair CX400W is final.

@ssb..
I got mine from SMC Delhi. I'll check if they still stock OCZ whenever I'll visit NP for buying the PC.

@vicky..
I know that Phenom II X4 955 is a great processor, and will serve me well. But the reason for moving to core i5 is that I will get Core i5 760 from a friend, less than a month old for around 7.5K, which is a sweet deal. I have already committed to him that I'll get the processor. He is not parting with his mobo/ram etc.

@all..
The following is final:
Core i5 760 @7.5k
G.Skill 2x2GB DDR3 1333MHz @ 3k / will check availability of OCZ as well.
Corsair CX400W @ 2.7k
Sapphire HD5450 1GB DDR3 -- Already Have.

Still meed to decide on:
Mobo - Please give me a few suggestions.
K/b + Mouse - I am having Logitech Cordless Desktop k/b + Cordless Mouse Kit from '06, now it is getting old. Need a replacement, would prefer wireless combo. Any suggestions.

Hey where are u getting core i5-760 for just 7.5k dude???coz the minimum price i have heard until now is 9.5k...was that a typing mistake?
:grin:

Top Bottom