Core duo or C2D?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tech_lover

Journeyman
For my new PC which will be better? Intel Dual Core
3.4 Ghz or C2D 2.13 GHz? Prices of both are around 8700. What will be a good motherboard for another 8000 with on board graphics (no OC required). no gaming, but will perform lots and lots of calculations with loads of data.

thx

deathvirus_me

Wise Old Owl
Hmm , it may sound a bit wierd , but at stock , the PentiumD 945 3.4 GHz will actually be better than a C2D E6400 2.13 GHz at pure number crunching .. but with the former u also invite quite high temps ... so now its ur choice i guess ..

OP
T

tech_lover

Journeyman
deathvirus_me said:
Hmm , it may sound a bit wierd , but at stock , the PentiumD 945 3.4 GHz will actually be better than a C2D E6400 2.13 GHz at pure number crunching .. but with the former u also invite quite high temps ... so now its ur choice i guess ..

thanks for your reply. what sort of cooling can I use with the 945? and will Asus P5B-VM Intel CPU (Socket 775) be a good mobo with it?

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
For sub 9k, u can get Athlon X2 5200+. Its better than C2D E6400 or Pentium D 3.4Ghz in number crunching and it runs cooler than the 3.4Ghz machine.

And for 4k, u can get Asus M2NE mobo which is a gud perfomance mobo and very gud value for money. It dun have onboard GFX, so get a 6200 for 2k.

*in.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3&l2=101&l3=308&l4=0&model=1181&modelmenu=1

deathvirus_me

Wise Old Owl
For sub 9k, u can get Athlon X2 5200+. Its better than C2D E6400 or Pentium D 3.4Ghz in number crunching and it runs cooler than the 3.4Ghz machine.

In some cases AMD doesn't even come close to Intel :p .. and this is one of those cases :p ..

sam9s

The High 5 Flyer
aravind_n20 said:

And for 4k, u can get Asus M2NE mobo which is a gud perfomance mobo and very gud value for money. It dun have onboard GFX, so get a 6200 for 2k.

*in.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3&l2=101&l3=308&l4=0&model=1181&modelmenu=1

I dont know how people with such conviction claim these benchmarks.............Pentium D is way down under......then probably X2 5000 but still leading are the kings 6600/6700 C2D series and with 6300, 6400 OCed to give 6600/6700 performance even they lead the way ahead.......lets look at some of the numbers......

Starting with gaming......

Quake 4 and FEAR
*i11.tinypic.com/5z2ljea.jpg *i18.tinypic.com/4zctnra.jpg

BF2
*i12.tinypic.com/62gvbxz.jpg

Now...MP3 and Windows media encoding

*i8.tinypic.com/4zitmaq.jpg *i19.tinypic.com/6h3ikux.jpg

Finally WorldBench overall performance

WorldBench's overall score is a pretty decent indication of general-use performance for desktop computers. This benchmark uses scripting to step through a series of tasks in common Windows applications and then produces an overall score for comparison. WorldBench also records individual results for its component application tests, allowing us to compare performance in each.

*i11.tinypic.com/4u1gxes.jpg

It covers pretty much everything........

Source::::techreport.com

goobimama

 Macboy
The title is a bit misleading. The Core Duo was based on that Yonah core or something and is different from the "Pentium" D (dual core). Core Duo is native dual core and is not available for desktops...

Also, *any* C2D is faster than *any* pentium. The clock speed thing is a totally different thing as they run different architectures. So even on a number crunching run, the C2D will be faster (and cooler)(and 64bit)(and future proof)...

Last edited:

darklord

Cyborg Agent
@ Sam,
I guess everyone is talking about performance at stock speed,not Overclocked. Agreed that when OC'ed C2D has no competition but then not all of us OC, isnt it ?:rolleyes:

sam9s

The High 5 Flyer
darklord said:
@ Sam,
I guess everyone is talking about performance at stock speed,not Overclocked. Agreed that when OC'ed C2D has no competition but then not all of us OC, isnt it ?:rolleyes:

the benchmarks I posted are at stock speeds only, I was just giving an example for 6300/6400

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom