Core duo or C2D?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tech_lover

Journeyman
For my new PC which will be better? Intel Dual Core
3.4 Ghz or C2D 2.13 GHz? Prices of both are around 8700. What will be a good motherboard for another 8000 with on board graphics (no OC required). no gaming, but will perform lots and lots of calculations with loads of data.

thx

deathvirus_me

Wise Old Owl
Hmm , it may sound a bit wierd , but at stock , the PentiumD 945 3.4 GHz will actually be better than a C2D E6400 2.13 GHz at pure number crunching .. but with the former u also invite quite high temps ... so now its ur choice i guess ..

OP
T

tech_lover

Journeyman
deathvirus_me said:
Hmm , it may sound a bit wierd , but at stock , the PentiumD 945 3.4 GHz will actually be better than a C2D E6400 2.13 GHz at pure number crunching .. but with the former u also invite quite high temps ... so now its ur choice i guess ..

thanks for your reply. what sort of cooling can I use with the 945? and will Asus P5B-VM Intel CPU (Socket 775) be a good mobo with it?

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
For sub 9k, u can get Athlon X2 5200+. Its better than C2D E6400 or Pentium D 3.4Ghz in number crunching and it runs cooler than the 3.4Ghz machine.

And for 4k, u can get Asus M2NE mobo which is a gud perfomance mobo and very gud value for money. It dun have onboard GFX, so get a 6200 for 2k.

*in.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3&l2=101&l3=308&l4=0&model=1181&modelmenu=1

deathvirus_me

Wise Old Owl
For sub 9k, u can get Athlon X2 5200+. Its better than C2D E6400 or Pentium D 3.4Ghz in number crunching and it runs cooler than the 3.4Ghz machine.

In some cases AMD doesn't even come close to Intel :p .. and this is one of those cases :p ..

goobimama

 Macboy
The title is a bit misleading. The Core Duo was based on that Yonah core or something and is different from the "Pentium" D (dual core). Core Duo is native dual core and is not available for desktops...

Also, *any* C2D is faster than *any* pentium. The clock speed thing is a totally different thing as they run different architectures. So even on a number crunching run, the C2D will be faster (and cooler)(and 64bit)(and future proof)...

Last edited:

darklord

Cyborg Agent
@ Sam,
I guess everyone is talking about performance at stock speed,not Overclocked. Agreed that when OC'ed C2D has no competition but then not all of us OC, isnt it ?:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom