Cooler Master Elite 430/431 Discussion Thread

mukherjee

Treatment in progress...
Will a CM Hyper N620 fit in this case?
Its about 3050+tax :shock: compared to CM Hyper 212 Plus @ 1900+tax...
Which will be better,compared to the price diff?

@topgear

While u were using the XFX 650i Ultra mobo,did u have to remove the board before setting up the cooler? Did the cutout in the backplate suffice for installation? How easy was the installation?

OP
topgear

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
the specs N620 is:
140.8(L) x 96.4(W) x 160.7(H) mm

CM Hyper 212 is :
122 x 98 x 160 mm (L x W x H)

CM Hyper 212 Plus is :
120 x 79.7 x 158.5 mm (L x W x H)

I'm using Hyper 212 but it's almost very close to the transparent side panel so the hyper N620 may touch the transparent side panel as it's 0.7 mm taller.

So if you are into OCing heavily then you can get Hyper 212 Plus to be in the safe side.

I forgot about the cutout when installing and again removing the cooler on the previous mobo but after installing the cooler for the first time I've noticed that the cutout is not enough to install the cooler on that mobo with the mobo installed in the cabby.

mukherjee

Treatment in progress...
mukherjee sir- why is your side-panel fan blowing air out? :)

Well,if u see the pics carefully,u may see that the side vent comes directly over gpu and with the side fan in exhaust mode,it thus helps to throw the hot air generated by it outta the cabby!
Thats why...

pegasus

Journeyman
Well,if u see the pics carefully,u may see that the side vent comes directly over gpu and with the side fan in exhaust mode,it thus helps to throw the hot air generated by it outta the cabby!
Thats why...
I noticed it's different from the others who posted their CM430 pics and hence asked.
In case you haven't done this already, will you please try it the other way round and note which orientation provides lower GPU temps and maybe NB and CPU temps too? :)

RaptorX

Broken In
nice pics. I'm considering this cabby too. I'm just checking whether I should go for this or the elite 310( I don't like the look of the gamma) Since i'm on a tight budget, I may have to sacrifice better looks,leds, and toolless design and go with the 310, to save 1200rs instead.

Is the overall space and airflow much better and worth it over the 310 or is it mainly aesthetics?

pegasus

Journeyman
^ One cannot and should not compare the Elite 310 to the Elite 430.
The Elite 330 was an overpriced tin can imho and the Elite 310 may fare no better.
If one can ignore the look of the wavy front bezel on the NZXT Gamma, it not only is very VFM case for Rs.2100/- odd but also has quite good build quality and finish for the price it sells at. :)

mukherjee

Treatment in progress...
I noticed it's different from the others who posted their CM430 pics and hence asked.
In case you haven't done this already, will you please try it the other way round and note which orientation provides lower GPU temps and maybe NB and CPU temps too? :)

Well,the temps remained the same...
So I reset the fan to exhaust mode....

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
^^ yes. never heard anyone using a side fan as exhaust. better use it as intake & add 2 fan to the top (of the cabby). this will offer better ventilation. else the card will run out of air to cool itself.

mukherjee

Treatment in progress...
But that side fan meant to be mounted as intake.

^^ yes. never heard anyone using a side fan as exhaust. better use it as intake & add 2 fan to the top (of the cabby). this will offer better ventilation. else the card will run out of air to cool itself.

Yes,sounds odd,but it works for me. Tried both configs,they yielded me the same temps.So I decided to keep it as exhaust(there isnt a dust filter here!).
Also,if u notice in the pics I posted,a 2nd top fan would be encroaching on the proccy heatsink(120mm fan)...so that plan is discarded.
This I think is the best alternative now...

Pic:
*img826.imageshack.us/img826/5145/dsc0136vd.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Therapist

Broken In
This is the airflow setup I employed on my NZXT Gamma (OT, I know, but it's relevant in the fan config aspect). Red is coded for exhaust and blue for intake fans.

*i.imgur.com/oRuTh.png

Since my house has a massive dust problem due to the illegal dynamite/gelatin based quarrying taking place a few metres away (we experience door rattling, crockery shattering tremors every few hours), I decided to retrofit the cabinet with improvised air filters. I bought the cheapest black cloth for the intake fans; the kind that's apparently used by prostitutes for blouses, since it's nigh transparent. This material is thin yet finely woven, so it does obstruct airflow to some degree, but I have no other choice since the dust over here is highly atomised by the explosives. This obstruction should pose little problems due to the intake role of the fans.

I used a loosely woven netting cloth for the rear exhaust fan, as it has to expel most of the heat built up in the chassis. The top exhaust fan again is filtered by the prostitute blouse material, which although restricts airflow, but is crucial to prevent dust from settling inside the components. The front intake sucks in air mostly from the bottom through the mesh filter. Side intake fan blows air onto the graphics card through the prostitute filter. The top intake fan blows air over the RAM modules and also feeds the Hyper 212+ push pull fans with cold air. The Corsair CX400 is thermally isolated from the chassis with its downward intake through an NZXT supplied filter and passive exhaust from the rear vents placed at a 90 degree angle.

Any inputs on this would be appreciated. I tried a fair bit of arrangements to finally settle on this one. Where it have increased, the idle temperatures haven't changed more than a degree or two at the worst despite the rather aggressive prostitute filters. Try and share your airflow set-up, because this is one aspect where improvement costs nothing but makes a lot of difference.

OP
topgear

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
It comes with one front intake 120mm pre- installed and there's no PSU bundled with this cabby.

ithehappy

Human Spambot
I like that CM cabby but as always have a stupid query. If I plug in my headphone in the front panel which hardware sound will it output? Soundcard's(If a sound card installed) or Motherboard's? Coz my headphone, XB300, has a very short length cord which is almost not reachable to me if I put it at the back of my cabby.
Thanks in advance.

OP
topgear

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
if you have a sound card then plug those audio connectors of the cabby in the appropriate headers/pins of the sound card and if you don't have discrete sound card just plug in those connectors on the appropriate mobo headers.

Gollum

Collector
I read it in digit that there should be more intake fans than exhaust to keep the system clean. Words of agent 001

OP
topgear

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
More intake fan is needed coz airflow reduces inside the cabby for obstacles and for distance to the exhaust fans - so to blow away the the heat and to keep a better airflow more intake fan is needed.

BTW, while choosing fan you should also have consder fan size, RPM and CFM value - thjey all plays important roles in airflow.

look at the diagram of the Therapist - it has more intake fan than exhaust.

Top Bottom