Connecting 2 PCs in 2 different rooms.

TechPlex

Multiplex Of Technology
Well whether the switch is blocking the connection or not depends on the switch itself. If it has got a settings page which you can access through the browser, then there are chances that it might have the MAC filter feature in it. You can check for it. 192.168.1.1, the IP address for most of the networking devices. I have designed a network map. Have a look. I suppose you are working the same way. I have dotted the connections of the DSL modem because you did not include this in your Network Setup list at the start. But I guess you are having it. the reason is that it's the accurate and correct way of doing what you want. So just verify your network setup physically referring the map. Hope it helps you.
*lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Rhs3rCsit8I/TgNQ65IUetI/AAAAAAAAACw/mA15PcfCPCI/s800/NETWORK%252520SETUP.jpg

Last edited:

TechPlex

Multiplex Of Technology
Have you tried, leaving the Default Gateway empty. I suggest you try that once.

In relation to this, I have something to say. There's another way you can go through the IP Address setup. Rather than entering the whole details yourself, let it be set to the default, that is Obtain IP Address automatically. Do this on both PCs. After doing this restart them. Now since the IP address is obtained automatically, you cannot see it in the properties of the LAN Adapter. So run ipconfig/all and see what is the IP address obtained by your active Ethernet Adapter (for both the PCs). Now ping the IPs. You know how to do it. If the result is good, then no need to do any mess. Turn on files sharing, share files and folders. you can also play multiplayer now. Just make sure you have connected everything like its in the diagram. And also add the computers to a common Workgroup.

OP
saswat23

saswat23

Human Spambot
TechPlex,
i had actually connected the way you have shown in the above diagram. I had also given a common Workgroup name as you have told. But still i was unable.
So, i will check the new steps mentioned above tomorrow and update you.

BTW what about my LAN connection. Is it allright coz in my PC its showing aN Orange light where as in my BRO's PC its Green. So, is there a connection problem in my connection.

TechPlex

Multiplex Of Technology
Yes pulkitpopli2004 maybe you are right. Saswat23, in the properties of your LAN adapter, click on Configure. Then in the Advanced tab select speed and duplex settings. Now try switching to every available option and check if it works. I think 100Mbps Half Duplex is needed.

TechPlex

Multiplex Of Technology
Then the best option is to set the Speed & Duplex settings to 'Auto-Negotiation'. All the PCs should be set to Auto-Negotiation.

Top Bottom