Connecting 2 PCs in 2 different rooms.

saswat23

Human Spambot
Me and my bro want to connect our PCs via LAN so that we can share files and internet connection and will be able to play multiplayer games like Counter Strike, COD, FIFA, etc.
I want a step by step procedure of how to connect succesfully. Previously i had tried connecting 2 times, but failed as it showed limited connectivity and other problems. But this i hope of getting help from you guys and solve it ASAP.

So, first of all what do i need. Anything else other than the under mentioned parts:
* 2 LAN Cables as a single is not long enough to connect directly.
* D-LINK 8 port ETHERNET SWITCH.

Plz explain me step by step, of what to do first then next, next....

HOPE you all will help me soon.

OP
saswat23

saswat23

Human Spambot
Thanks for the WiFi router idea, but i dont wanna spend now so will try connecting via Ethernet Switch.
You see, one cable from my BRO's PC and one from mine. Then i think i will also have to connect one cable from the modem into the Ethernet Switch for internet connection.

And only my PC has Win. 7 and my BRO's has Win. XP. So, i hope i wont face any problems.

BTW we wont be sharing internet often, so how to connect it just for file sharing and playing MP Games.
Will the steps mentioned above do..??

TechPlex

Multiplex Of Technology
Saswat23, Considering that your PCs are connected, just right click open the properties of My Computer in both the computers (in win 7 click on Change setting in the Computer name, domain and workgroup settings) and enter a common workgroup name for both of them. Click OK. (A message will pop up in Win 7 saying Welcome to 'your workgroup') Click OK. Now on the Win XP pc, goto to My network Places and on Win 7 pc goto Network. You will be able to see the shared files from the computers (Just make sure the sharing permissions are noticed by you). Before all this make sure both the computers have different IP addresses. If you need further details elaborately, ask.

Whistler81

The One and Only
They way I did it is, using a single RJ45 Crossover cable.

1. Connect it to the PCs
Open Control Panel-> Network and Internet-> View Network Status and Tasks-> Change Adapter Settings
3. You'll se Local Area Connection Right Click-> Properties -> Click on Internet Protocol Version 4(TCP/IPv4) and click Properties
4. Now instead of Obtain an IP address automatically select the Use the following IP address radio button
5. then enter the following values: IP address: 10.0.0.1 (on one mechine) 10.0.0.2( on your brother's machine)
6. The Subnet Mask is same for both the PCs 255.255.255.0
Once done navigate to your Network and you should see your and your brother's PC listed there.
If not, start HomeGroup and follow the steps to create a HomeGroup in 1 machine and Join the HomeGroup on the other PC.

I do not know how you plan to use the internet connection. I only used the internet on 1 Pc so didn't bother to figure this part out. [Let us know which method worked.]

Last edited:
OP
saswat23

saswat23

Human Spambot
I just connected the two PCs. but gren light is blinking in the LAN cable in my BRO's PC and in mine its just RED.
So, whats the problem.
I am just trying to connect now. so, plz help guys.

pulkitpopli2004

Cyborg Agent
i am also having the same problem.. and by using your solution also.. i cud not connect and play games..
for ex - i created a NFSMW server on PC1 now on PC2 that NFSMW server is visible.. bt it does not connect.. it was gives an error of connection lost.

n when i tried to ping the other PC.. there was no response..

TechPlex

Multiplex Of Technology
I just connected the two PCs. but gren light is blinking in the LAN cable in my BRO's PC and in mine its just RED.
So, whats the problem.
I am just trying to connect now. so, plz help guys.

Now you must have connected the PCs with a standard CAT5 STRAIGHT THROUGH Cable unlike Whistler81 who used a CROSSOVER cable. And if you are planning to connect one PC to the internet and share the connection on the same medium, you won't be able to do so because the ethernet port will be engaged. You will definitely need a switch.

i am also having the same problem.. and by using your solution also.. i cud not connect and play games..
for ex - i created a NFSMW server on PC1 now on PC2 that NFSMW server is visible.. bt it does not connect.. it was gives an error of connection lost.

Add both the computers to a HomeGroup. And then assign different IP addresses to the PCs. To check if the PCs are connected ping them. And the next check would be to ensure if you are able share files or not. If you can do all these things just go burn the roads in MW.

Last edited:

TechPlex

Multiplex Of Technology
Both systems should also have the same OS.

That's not necessary. I used to work on two laptops having XP and 7. The difference is only the ease and quick setup of network in 7 whereas it's a little messy in XP.

OK. It seems that he has XP on one lappy and 7 on the other. So here is the step by step guide to setup your network.

1. Add both the PCs to a common workgroup.
In Windows XP, right click on My Computer and click Properties>Computer name>To rename this computer- Change>Member of: Workgroup> Enter name for your Workgroup.
In Windows 7, right click on Computer>Computer name, domain, workgroup settings -Change settings>Computer name>To rename this computer- Change>Member of: Workgroup> Enter name for your Workgroup.

2. Assign IP addresses.
In Windows XP, goto Control Panel> Network and Internet Connections. Right click the Local Area Connection>Properties>Network tab. Double click on Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) from the list. In the General tab>Use the following IP address. Now enter the following:
IP address:192.168.1.2, Subnet mask: Just click on the blank space, Default Gateway:192.168.1.1. Done! Click OK.

In Windows 7, goto Control Panel>Network and Internet- View network status and tasks> Change adapter settings. Right click the Local Area Connection>Properties>Network tab. Double click on Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) from the list. In the General tab>Use the following IP address. Now enter the following:
IP address:192.168.1.3, Subnet mask: Just click on the blank space, Default Gateway:192.168.1.1. Done! Click OK. Restart the PCs.

3. The Physical Setup.
Now only the wiring mess is left. Just use two STRAIGHT THROUGH cables for each PC to connect it to the switch. Connect the switch to the router/modem. Switch them on. Wait for the LEDs to indicate normal state. Everything is fine, then we can move to the next step.

4. Testing the connectivity.
Run the ping test on the laptops for ensuring they are connected. On the Windows XP laptop, run 'ping 192.168.1.3 -t'. If a long list of latency test appears its good. On the Windows 7 laptop run 'ping 192.168.1.2 -t'. If a long list of latency test appears its good. If fails, switch of the Firewalls.

5. We are done.
Now run NFS MW and check whether you can play multiplayer or not. And file sharing is what sounds like you know.

Last edited:

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
If it's only being connected for LAN gameplay, aren't you guys making it a bit complicated here? Simply assigning static IPs to the two computers with the same mask, would do. Just then ping the IPs to check the connection, and if needed try modifying the firewall rules.
Basic sharing files can be done through an FTP Server software like Filezilla anyway.

pulkitpopli2004

Cyborg Agent
which cable to b used with switch??
m using 2 8-wire Straight cable..

and my pc have 2 LAN port.. 1 is connected to Hathway internet line... and 2nd is connected to switch..
if i try to change its default gateway it gives some error of "multiple default gateway"

In the LAN properties >>Internet Protocol(TCP/IP)>>

Give Default Gateway : 1.1.1.1 in each PC... (i.e. same on each PC)

NFSMW/NFS UG 2 should work now....:smile:

manna8u

Right off the assembly line
Saswat23 if you want to connect your & yours brother PC through switch or hub otherwise directly,allot ur PC and ur brothers PC IP as my frd's have told u above u can give IP by going to the My network places->View network connections->Local Area Connection->Properties->TCP/IP Properties->IP like 192.168.0.1 in pc and other pc 192.168.0.2 than subnet mask 255.255.255.0 and default gateway as optional if want to share broabband internet give you pc IP there if want to make server(i.e 192.168.0.1) otherwise left it blank.Now alloting ip on both PC check if system r communicating just by a command ping.goto start->run->type ping IP of ur brother system from ur PC if pinging ....go and ping ur pc ip from ur brothers pc.If communicating u can share folders and share internet also.

OP
saswat23

saswat23

Human Spambot
But are you sure PCs with different OS i.e Win7 and XP will be able to connect through LAN.
In bro's PC with XP its stating as connected at 100Mbps but in my PC with win7 its stating 'No Internet Access'.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
We have XP, Vista and 7 PCs all connected through LAN in our office. ;) Oh, and Ubuntu too. Techplex has given a pretty good walk-through of how to do it. Some security may need to be changed though.

TechPlex

Multiplex Of Technology
But are you sure PCs with different OS i.e Win7 and XP will be able to connect through LAN.
In bro's PC with XP its stating as connected at 100Mbps but in my PC with win7 its stating 'No Internet Access'.

Did you do it the way I suggested? Windows 7 not accepting the network maybe the reason of some mistake in the IP configuration. Or else the router/modem is blocking its way.

OP
saswat23

saswat23

Human Spambot
I have this switch connector:
www.dlink.co.in/products/?pid=184
So, can this switch in case block as you have mentioned above.

I havn't tried the above mentioned steps, but will try tomorrow.
BTW Green light is blinking continously in any LAN cable connected in my BRO's PC, but any LAN cable connected to my PC shows only Orange light and a Green Light blinks after an interval of 1 second.
So, is this a problem.

Top Bottom