Confused between HD6950 2GB and HD6870 1GB

desiJATT

Away from Forums, Again!
Hello guys, as i am very near in finalising my configuration, I have a big doubt. So here it goes.

First i thought of buying the HD6950 2GB, as i wanted the ultimate performance in BF3 in my budget, but after researching for a while over a lot of benchmarks, i have seen that it delivers about 30-40 FPS on Ultra. I definitely have to lower the settings to High in order to get good framerates, thats for sure.

Now the problem arises here, if i were to lower the settings on the highest card i can afford, why should i spend extra 4K on it? I mean can i get the HD6870 1GB and run it on High instead? I only plan to game on 1080p resolution. So please guide me, is HD6950 2GB overkill for me? I just want good and stable frame rates in BF3 and other Frostbite 2 games (COD doesn't take up much resources and other game genres i don't like very much). Is 4K price difference justified between the 6950 and 6870?

It would've be really worth it if you could unlock it. Sadly you can't. Only the first few batches of 6950 (read: reference cards only) could be unlocked to 6970. The following ones were laser-cut to prevent that.

If you're not looking to play over 1080p, then you should be fine with 6870.

Last edited:

saikiasunny

Ambassador of Buzz
If you want to go for 6950, go for the overclocked models. Otherwise a highly overclocked 6870 will be sufficient for bf3 in high settings at 1080p.

Sujeet

Undead!!!
Get 6950.
Best Bet..BTW Frostbite is not the only Best Engine out there..
Upcoming Upgrade to Unreal Engine and Current Cryengine 3 games are gonna make any system come down to their knees so basically you are not just spending extra for just better performacne in j2 games(battlefield 3 and NFS:The Run..currently the only Frostbite 2 games) but for all major game relases.

BTW No card is OVERKILL For game like BF3 And Crysis.:p

OP
desiJATT

desiJATT

Away from Forums, Again!
Get 6950.
Best Bet..BTW Frostbite is not the only Best Engine out there..
Upcoming Upgrade to Unreal Engine and Current Cryengine 3 games are gonna make any system come down to their knees so basically you are not just spending extra for just better performacne in j2 games(battlefield 3 and NFS:The Run..currently the only Frostbite 2 games) but for all major game relases.

BTW No card is OVERKILL For game like BF3 And Crysis.:p

this guy opened my eyes, and you're absolutely right about the fact that there are other engines too that will take a toll on even the best rigs out there, and pretty much no card is overkill for games like BF3. Thank you, i now most probably be going for the HD6950 2GB. Buying my new PC in the coming 10 days, can't wait anymore! :D

Also, what company would you recommend for this card, my friend (also the guy i am buying from) says that the single fan Powercolor one will suffice as overclocking doesn't increase performance by a large margin, so no need to spend extra over dual fan editions (still he's into confirming the prices of both cards). Please help :)

Sujeet

Undead!!!
Cant comment over region based slight price variations but Opting for Dual Fan solution will always keep you in COOLER zone.Literally.!
MSI will be good.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
@ OP - if you have a supported mobo and PSU just get 2x HD6850s or else opt for R6950 Twin Frozr III PE/OC ;-)

OP
desiJATT

desiJATT

Away from Forums, Again!
^^ 2x HD6850 looks cool, but it's way too overbudgeted. I guess HD6950 2GB is the way to go. I can't wait anymore for the HD7850 to release, so now i have to buy HD6950 no matter what, will update on my other thread after buying, with pictures and reviews... :)

d3p

PowerHouse
@desiJATT : Could you post about your PSU/SMPS ??? It will be helpful to suggest good.

OP
desiJATT

desiJATT

Away from Forums, Again!
Here's my PC Configuration thread. Everything is listed there :)

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/pc-components-configurations/154041-budget-gaming-pc-40k.html

venram87700

Learnin in progress
get the HD 6950 twin frozr III from MSI i have the twin frozr II model n i finished playing BF3 n it didnt lag in any aspects of the game at High settings mind u i still had only 4 GB of Ram at that point of time .... after that i got 4 gb more.... all games after that like Batman : Arkham City and Assassin's Creed : Revelations have worked like a charm for me !!! :wink:

d3p

PowerHouse
^exactly, the 6950 uses 250w under load & it will be more if OC-ed.

So better not to risk it. Either get 6870 or 6850 & be happy with CX430 or Get 6950 with TX 650 v2.

OP
desiJATT

desiJATT

Away from Forums, Again!
hmmmm.. ok so i think i have to change the PSU.

Now the verdict is, I will be buying the HD6950 2GB, but i have to change the PSU for it. I am looking forward to the Corsair CX500, will it suffice?

Top Bottom