Config question

Pokefan

Right off the assembly line
Hi guys,
I am planning to get a new PC and have already decided the chip (phenom ii x4 955) and MB.
I have 3 questions:

1) i need two 2gb DDR3 ram under Rs.1200 which one do you suggest?

2)An SMPS calculator calculated my watt req. at 406W. i already have a recently bought 450W one. Do i need something more(like 500 or 550)?

3)I don't care much for cabinets. i only need something cheap. the size is ATX
Can any body suggest one?
Thanks in advance

OP
P

Pokefan

Right off the assembly line
1. What is the purpose of the computer? (Note: If you are planning to say multimedia, you will have to be more specific as all types of systems are capable of doing that)
A:Mostly projects(MS office). some photo/video/audio editing, medium gaming and other misc stuff
and very very light 3d rendering(blender)

2. Are you open to alternate ideas/products giving similar better performance but offering more VFM/ sellers? If not- why?
A:i am open to an alternate product, but i really like my choice

3. What is your MAX budget?
A processor+MB+RAM+SMPS+Cabinet: rs.15000(i know, tight)
The smps need not be there if i only require 450W
4. Planning to overclock?
A: No

5. Which OS are you planning to use?
A Possibly a dual boo
XP and ubuntu, but may install W7

6. How much hard drive space is needed?
A: i already have an HD

7. What resolution will the screen run at & whats the size of the screen you want? If you already want have one and want to use it, mention its resolution and size.
A: Already have one: size 17 inch r: 1024x768

8. How would you rate your hardware knowledge from the count of 1-10? (1 being the lowest, 5 being you are somewhat in sync with the current performers and 10 being the highest)
A: 6

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
A:i have only changed the RAM and some cards. so it will be done by an assembler

10. When are you planning to buy the system?
A:in a few weeks

11. Are you one of the types looking out for "future proof" configurations?
A:yes

12. Are there going to be any components that you don't want to include in this new rig? If yes, do mention.
A:i already have every thing else(monitor, k/m, op drive, ups etc.)

13. Which city do you live in and are you open to buying from shops from other city/states?
A:kerala(might buy online too)

14. Mention any other points if deemed necessary
A: i am planning to buy the asus amd m488tml unless there is some thing else

Last edited:

MegaMind

Human Spambot
PSU should not b judged by the wattage label but by efficiency...

Jus return that PSU n get FSP...

Component | Make | Price |
Processor |Phenom ii x4 955|6400
Motherboard | Gigabyte GA-MA785GMT-US2H |3400
RAM |Corsair value 2*2GB|2200
PSU |FSP Saga ii 500|2100|Try to get this PSU
Case |Zebronics Bijli|1000
Total ||15100

d3p

PowerHouse
^^ Bang & just a Bang for the buck.

IMO avoid that 955 coz of heating issues.

Component | Make | Price |
Processor |AMD Athlon II x4 640|4500
Motherboard | Gigabyte GA-MA785GMT-US2H |3400
RAM |Corsair XMS3 2X2GB 1600C9|2400
PSU |FSP Saga II 500|2100|Try to get this PSU
Case |NZXT Gamma|2200

or

Case |CM RC430 Black|2500
Total ||14600 or 15100

d3p

PowerHouse
^^ well said ...

955BE is not a bad choice if paired with after market cooler like CM Hyper 212+.

But whatever config i have suggested is used by another user in TDF. If any doubts PM him.

Sam [Famous as Sam.Shab]
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/members/88006.html

@Saswat: refer this.
Heating Issues: *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/cpu-motherboards/136739-phenom-ii-x4-955-heating-problem.html

saz

Journeyman
^ I think 955BE works fine with stock cooler as well, till its overclocked. I am using it for last couple of months with idle temp 39-41 and temp while gaming 56-57 and 68 when used Prime95...the issue mentioned could be an isolated incident.

saswat23

Human Spambot
I am not really pointing towards the AMD for this issue. I meant, the earlier problem is now showing signs in the newer models.
And clearly i am not against AMD. Its just my view on the heating issue of 955BE.

d3p

PowerHouse
^ I think 955BE works fine with stock cooler as well, till its overclocked. I am using it for last couple of months with idle temp 39-41 and temp while gaming 56-57 and 68 when used Prime95...the issue mentioned could be an isolated incident.

I agree with it, just google the following "site:thinkdigit.com Phenom II X4 955 BE heating problem."

Moreover temperature problems are not only limited with Overclocking ; poor maintenance & usage of local made PSU's also contibutes a lot.

saz

Journeyman
^yeah, poor maintenance & improper airflow in the cabinet are some of the most probable culprits.
One of my friends installed the HSF incorrectly and somehow managed to leave a gap b/w processor and HSF base which caused the temp to shoot up drastically on 955BE.

d3p

PowerHouse
I myself had some few problems with installations of Corsair H50 & increase in temps of i7 920.

The problem was presence of air bubbles in thermal compound, for which i got stuck & broke my h50 off atlast

damngoodman999

damnbadman666
Still i use Phenom 2 940 , which emit lot of heat using Hyper 212+ stays cool now , Phenom 2 955 is good one compared to my proccy ! u can OC up to 3.5 to 3.6 with good after market cooler !

Top Bottom