College or Institute for Game Art and Design after 12th?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gourav Kundu

Journeyman
I am in class 12 right now and I want to go into the field of Game Art and Design, but i have one doubt :- whether should i join any Govt. college and complete B.F.A. degree or join any Institute and do foundation course there like in DSK Supinfogame( i have heard more about Dsk Supinfocom though). Please help me. Thanks.

Sujeet

Undead!!!
DSK Supinfo com is an indo-french collaboration institute for Game design ,Industrial Design and Animation.It has made a lot of buzz.However the fee is very high:20lacs for 4 year course in gaming + 4lac extra for food and hostel!!!!!

rahul_c

Journeyman
20 lacs! You could do B. F. A. & M. F. A. in a govt. college with that much fees. Go for govt. college and is there any separate exam for this course?

OP
G

Gourav Kundu

Journeyman
20 lacs! You could do B. F. A. & M. F. A. in a govt. college with that much fees. Go for govt. college and is there any separate exam for this course?

For which course are you asking ? If you're asking about Any Game Design Course, then the minimum qualification required is 12th pass and a zeal and passion in Gaming.

Sujeet

Undead!!!
Update following is Detailed fee structure for 5 yr course in Gaming in DSK:
Year 1: 6.25 lacs
Year 2: 6.25 lacs
Year 3: 6.25 lacs
Year 4: 7.25 lacs
Year 5: 7.25 lacs

tkin

Back to school!!
For this much cash its better to go abroad and study, is DSK's course AICTE/UGC approved? If not, you have no future in India, you'll be officially 12th pass.

OP
G

Gourav Kundu

Journeyman
Update following is Detailed fee structure for 5 yr course in Gaming in DSK:
Year 1: 6.25 lacs
Year 2: 6.25 lacs
Year 3: 6.25 lacs
Year 4: 7.25 lacs
Year 5: 7.25 lacs

How's Asian Institute Of Gaming And Animation ? Their fee is about 3 lakh for one year Course ( Game Art ). Thanks.

^B. F. A. Degree

But in B.F.A course They don't teach Game Art. Do they ? please explain in detail. I also want to ask whether to choose Game Art or any Animation Course , Whats the difference, please also tell me about the scope of either field in India ? Thanks.

For this much cash its better to go abroad and study, is DSK's course AICTE/UGC approved? If not, you have no future in India, you'll be officially 12th pass.

How is AIGA ?

tkin

Back to school!!
How's Asian Institute Of Gaming And Animation ? Their fee is about 3 lakh for one year Course ( Game Art ). Thanks.

But in B.F.A course They don't teach Game Art. Do they ? please explain in detail. I also want to ask whether to choose Game Art or any Animation Course , Whats the difference, please also tell me about the scope of either field in India ? Thanks.

How is AIGA ?
Never heard of them but know this, they provide diploma courses, not a degree course, so if you can't get a job in a game studio after finishing course, the train ends there.

Go for govt colleges that offer a degree.

OP
G

Gourav Kundu

Journeyman
Never heard of them but know this, they provide diploma courses, not a degree course, so if you can't get a job in a game studio after finishing course, the train ends there.

Go for govt colleges that offer a degree.

Okay, Thanks a lot for your advice. I totally agree with your statement. But , Please have a look at this page :-
Selection Of Course After 12th Standard
Thanks.

Davidboon

In the zone
Hi , if you are really interested in game art and design , just go for B.F.A from reputed govt. college . I had applied for DSK but the fees are a big let down . and remember its your talent and dedication that matters not the institute .

tkin

Back to school!!
Okay, Thanks a lot for your advice. I totally agree with your statement. But , Please have a look at this page :-
Selection Of Course After 12th Standard
Thanks.
Doesn't matter, if you get a diploma and then do not get a job abroad then you are in trouble, say you do get a job in game designing in India, but companies will pay you very little, since you are not a degree holder, they are not bound to pay you a specific salary, on the other hand if you have a degree then you'll get proper salaries. In india skills do not matter anything, sadly :|

For eg: Look at B.Techs, the minimum salary they get in a good company are ~3 lakh PA, but if you are a diploma holder the minimum salary you'll get are very little, India supports a degree based system, get a degree, or simply go abroad and get a degree in game designing there.

Sujeet

Undead!!!
if you have real zeal for make games instead of searching for damn degree or college. do what you can do best. some will find you. therr are tons of resources online to learn from. india is a sh+& place for advncd talent like these.

tkin

Back to school!!
+1
After all these our netas don't have any degree rather than M.Cs-B. Gs:-x
Politics is the only "Profession" in which a degree hinders progress, if you have a degree, you'll act civilized and educated, that will ruin your political career.

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor
My advice to you, if you cant afford the fees of good institutes, is to do a good degree course in computer science (if programming is what you like) or in Art (if you like to do stuff in 3Ds Max, Photoshop, Sketchup, Zbrush, Illustrator etc).

Then, independently learn to use game SDKs and learn to use some of the aforementioned software. Make mods with interesting ideas (CS was a mod before Valve hired the devs) and see its popularity grow. in the meantime, get another job and make money from there.

then, look for like-minded people who want to collaborate with you. go on improving the mod. after that, if you are not picked up, use the UDK and release an independent title on steam/ other DD service.

when you learn to use these well ,start tinkering around with open source game engines (id tech is a good idea) to get an idea of how game engines work.

there are many books in the market (although expensive) which you can use to learn more.

after that, try to build your own game engine.

whatever happens, you have to work very hard to get into this field.

Last edited:

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
BE or BTech after 12th
maybe they will be using new engines and new tools in 3 years, you can specialize in game design if you have BE or BTech later on

noob

Cyborg Agent
if you have real zeal for make games instead of searching for damn degree or college. do what you can do best. some will find you. therr are tons of resources online to learn from. india is a sh+& place for advncd talent like these.

+1 , Go for game development/animation/art as hobby and have a regular job for your living.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom