Kingston 2*2GB 1333 Hz for dual channel support

500GB HDD Seagate supporting 6 Gb/sec

VIP Cabinet + 300W SMPS

I am planning to use
i)This 500GB harddisk
ii)80GB harddisk sata 3gb/sec......5years old
iii)My existing DVD Reader+ CD writer( IDE) .....5 years old
iv)Another 40Gb Hardisk .....5 years old

Will the SMPS be sufficient????...i will not be installing a graphic card anytime soon....is it necessary..........i am a medium gaming freak.....please advice....
is the system specs i have chosen alright ( I mean the choice of motherboard and processor etc)?????

Last edited:

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
if you are a gamer consider getting a gfx card and change that PSU to something better like FSP Saga II 400/500 @ 1800 or 2000 bucks ;-)

BTW, what's your screen resolution ??

OP
H

hagrid_aragog

Broken In
if you are a gamer consider getting a gfx card and change that PSU to something better like FSP Saga II 400/500 @ 1800 or 2000 bucks ;-)

BTW, what's your screen resolution ??

1600 x 900....why???.............the gfx card might further drive my budget up......
I was more concerned about the 'VIP' SMPS....is the quakity fine??........assuming i am not adding a gfx card....would 300W be sufficient.....???

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ If you are serious about gaming then you should get a gfx card like HD6670 @ 5.5k

Icoming to the psu part don't think that VIP psus are of very great quality - so it's better to stick with FSP psus - they have much better build quality ;-)

Tech_Wiz

Wise Old Owl
Err...I dont think IDE CD Writer and 5 yr old HDD prolly will be IDE only can be fitted on that Mobo. It doesnt have IDE :$

Also that SMPS is a serious waste. One of my friends have got one Blown I strongly suggest to use it only for Powering bathroom lights :p

+1 for top gear and Comp addict proposals. Onboard gfx are no good for medium settings for most games.

OP
H

hagrid_aragog

Broken In
Err...I dont think IDE CD Writer and 5 yr old HDD prolly will be IDE only can be fitted on that Mobo. It doesnt have IDE :$

I didn't understand...........it has an IDE port with maximum 2 devices
Storage: SB850 Chipset
5 xSATA 6.0 Gb/s ports Support RAID 0,1,5,10
1 x eSATA port (6Gb/s ready)
VIA VT6415 PATA controller
1 xUltraDMA 133/100 for up to 2 PATA devices

Internal I/O Connectors: 4 x USB connectors support additional 8 USB 2.0/1.1 ports
1 x IDE connector
5 x SATA 6Gb/s connectors
1 x CPU Fan connector

also my6 question was would these devices around '5' years old......affect the performance in any manner......someone told me that.....due to the reduction of the rotation speed over the years........

As for SMPS i think i wil go for some other.........

can i go for 400W VIP GOLD or should i ignore vip altogether.....??...they are cheaper
*bitfang.com/vip-400w-gold-400-w-dual-power-supply-pid403/

or zebronics 400w.....it has 2 fans and 3 years warranty.....instead of 2years in fsp.....
*bitfang.com/zebronics-ps17-zeb-400-w-single-12v-rail-power-supply-pid3851/

or is it that only FSP is best.....(i mean worth the cost)

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
^^ no to VIP & Zebronics. those are indian made PSU & i doubt if they'll handle midrange card. also efficiency is low. yes FSP is cheap & efficiency is high. build quality is also much better than these.

get FSP Saga II 500w. will cost you 2200-2500 depending on where you buy it but worth the cost.

Tech_Wiz

Wise Old Owl
I stand corrected on the storage :)

FSP Saga is the cheapest you should get. If you can afford more then go fro Cosair CX400 or VX450.

I use VX450 myself is a great PSU.

SlashDK

MV VIP to the MAX
AMD LLANO A3650 A-Series APU
Gigabyte GA-A75M-S2V (rev. 1.0)

Much better graphic performance and slightly lower CPU performance. If you are willing to wait for a few weeks the prices will settle down. Also its better to get a good PSU. The minimum you should go for is FSP saga 350W for 1.4k.

SlashDK

MV VIP to the MAX
I know just trying to keep it in the range of Phenom 2 X4 955BE and Asus M4A88TD-M EVO/USB3(although its still more expensive). A8 costs 1k more.

SlashDK

MV VIP to the MAX
The gaming benchmarks are not accurate since 955BE has been paired with a dedicated card which costs extra. Also, a8 wins in a few too.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Phenom 2 X4 955BE can be OCed and with Asus M4A88TD-M EVO/USB3 he would be able to OC it around ~4 Ghz - so P2 955 BE has much more cpu power with more power consumption.

Now coming to the Liano - he need to get A8-3850 @ 7k and the cheapest mobo will cost him around 5.8k - he will need to get rams with speed of 1600 Mhz or above which will cost him around ~2.5k but the greatest advantage he will get with Liano is it's ability to pair up the APU's gfx with HD6670 and it's 4x CF - anyone ??

Total Cost : 13.3k - traditional P2 ;-)

Asus M4A88TD-M EVO/USB3 @ 6k
P2 955 BE @ 5.6k
2x 2GB Transcend 1333 Mhz DDR3 @ 1.7k

Arriving of New Lion ;-)

AMD A8-3850 @ 7k
Gigabyte GA-A75M-S2V @ 5.8k
G.Skill Ripjaws F3-12800CL9S-4GBRL @ 2k - need to OC this to get optimal Liano performance

Total Cost : 14.8k

It's decision time and don't forget the L3 cache on 955 BE which can boost gaming performance and with the saved 1.5k he can get a a HD6770 @ 7.1k ;-)

OP
H

hagrid_aragog

Broken In
so...what is the end point......955BE is much better at a lower price right???........also would connecting those five year old IDE components affect the performance????....someone told me that.....due to the reduction of the rotation speed over the years........

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
you can either keep those or sell them and buy a another 500GB HDD and pair up the existing 500GB with the new one and make a RAID 0 config which will increase performance and you are right 955BE makes more sense but keep in mind that you should buy a gfx card anyway ;-)

OP
H

hagrid_aragog

Broken In
you can either keep those or sell them and buy a another 500GB HDD and pair up the existing 500GB with the new one and make a RAID 0 config which will increase performance and you are right 955BE makes more sense but keep in mind that you should buy a gfx card anyway ;-)

But do the old devices slow down the performance????.......

comp@ddict

EXIT: DATA Junkyard
RIght now choosing a Cheap AM3 board and X4 955 BE still makes more sense.

Till Llano becomes cheaper.

SlashDK

MV VIP to the MAX
thats why I said to wait for a few weeks for it to become cheaper. BTW Llano offers the graphic performance of HD5570 for free.

Top Bottom