Car Subwoofer for computer - 5.1 Bass home theatre!

rak2410

"Winter is coming"
Hi guys i had this idea of getting a car sub running for my computer and finally i made up my mind did some research on how to do it and Successfully got it up and running perfect! Its just so awesome now , all games and movies are perfectly balanced with bass ( which i adjusted for many many hours based on trials , But totally WORTH it! ) :)

I am utilising only 15 - 20% of amplifier's potential since if i use more, i m afraid ill break something in my room and also everything will start vibrating haha :-D. But using the present config , sounds perfect in my room!

i have a creative 5.1 computer speakers, Fusion Car subwoofer 1200Watt, Pioneer 400 Watt amplifier

If anyone would like to do the same , i will be glad to help you out. Its very simple :wink:

Check out the picts here:

View attachment 11390

View attachment 11391

View attachment 11392

Chaitanya

Cyborg Agent
Awesome..

My :2cents:
Clean the clutter.
tie up wires & conceal them & you will be good to be called best in your locality..

Well wat is a rubic cube doing beside your monitor (my guess you play it.. lol :-D)

OP
R

rak2410

"Winter is coming"
Awesome..

My :2cents:
Clean the clutter.
tie up wires & conceal them & you will be good to be called best in your locality..

Well wat is a rubic cube doing beside your monitor (my guess you play it.. lol :-D)

Thanx guys ! and yes i will clean it up , hehe
And about the rubiks cube, yes i solve 3x3(in around 40 secs :p), 4x4, 5x5 cubes as my timepass ... :mrgreen:

d3p

PowerHouse
Hi guys i had this idea of getting a car sub running for my computer and finally i made up my mind did some research on how to do it and Successfully got it up and running perfect! Its just so awesome now , all games and movies are perfectly balanced with bass ( which i adjusted for many many hours based on trials , But totally WORTH it! ) :)

I am utilising only 15 - 20% of amplifier's potential since if i use more, i m afraid ill break something in my room and also everything will start vibrating haha :-D. But using the present config , sounds perfect in my room!

i have a creative 5.1 computer speakers, Fusion Car subwoofer 1200Watt, Pioneer 400 Watt amplifier

If anyone would like to do the same , i will be glad to help you out. Its very simple :wink:

View attachment 11390

View attachment 11391

View attachment 11392

Nice DIY & Mod there. Invite us for a free demo.

josin

In the zone

View attachment 11390

View attachment 11391

View attachment 11392

Frontech smps powering the AMP? If you dont mind please tell us how much did it cost?

avinandan012

Cyborg Agent
If you are at it POST a full step by step tutorial of how you built it using which tools from where did you bought the components etc.So that in future anyone tries such setup can use yours as reference.

BTW add another frontech PSU. Go to a local metal workshop get a sheet metal & create a box which can hold two of those PSUs. Then get atleast 16gauge wire & put a switch in the box for on & off. connect the jumper in 12V rails to the switch. Remove all wire only keep the +12V, GRND, jumper(generally green colored). replace the stock wires with the 16g ones.

These are for long term operation.
For safety to the PSU(s) add a small capacitor bank(try to make atleast 1Farad). Buy from ebay.

DIY ftw

Last edited:
OP
R

rak2410

"Winter is coming"
Hi guys first of all thank you and I will be soon doing a step by step video tutorial about this and post the link

OP
R

rak2410

"Winter is coming"
Car Subwoofer to PC TUTORIAL

Ok This is a step by step guide for those who want to DIY this one! Ill try to keep it as simple as possible.. please refer pictures.

Step 1: Buy / find a 400 - 450 watt local Power supply unit ( PSU ) for PC ( costs around 500 INR).
>> Buy a Car 2/4 Channel amplifier. ( around 4.8k for Pioneer 2channel in Bangalore).

My model : Pioneer GM - 3500T 2 channel AMP - 4.8k INR + 600 Wiring kit.

>> Buy a car subwoofer with casing for maybe around 4.5 - 5k ( please buy pioneer or kicker or fusion or jbl) Dont buy Sony xplod( they aint good ).

Step 2: We need to get the PSU running directly on AC power . For this we need to short two wires from the PSU's motherboard power cable. In that, there will be ONLY ONE GREEN wire coming from PSU to that connector. And there will be few Black ones!. Now what you got to do is Take a small electrical wire maybe 2 of em ( like in the picture since they wer thin ) and connect the green one to any of the black as shown in the picture below!

View attachment 11878

View attachment 11879

Now After doing this, just power on the PSU and the fan should start spinning. It implies its a success!.

Step 3: Find a 4pin molex power connector from ur psu ( or maybe a sata connector as well . See picture) And find a black wire and one Yellow wire as shown!. Cut them!

View attachment 11880

Step 4: Connect the Yellow wire to Power socket of the Amplifier as shown below. And Black one to the Ground or -ve of amplifier . And then take two small electrical wires ( if thin ) and short it with power ( +ve ) of amplifier and the control ( or the remaining connector of Amp ) of the amp. This is required for amp to recognize the key start from the Car.

View attachment 11881

View attachment 11882

Step 5: Now if everything is done properly, the Amplifier should turn on! yay! The hard part is over! yes!

Step 6: connect the RCA cables from amplifier to PC using convertors as shown. You will be needing:

1 Qty of 2x RCA Female to 3.5mm male jack convertor. ~ 80 bucks good quality
1 Qty of 2x 3.5mm female jack to 3.5mm male jack convertor ~ 80 - 100 Bucks good ones.

And Obv get the wiring kit for the amplifier and subwoofer( around 600 from any car modification store or where you got the amplifier from!) .. In this wiring kit Use only the RCA cables and Speaker wires. And chuck other power wires and ground wires. ( that is coming directly from PSU ).

Connect em as shown below. Almost done.
View attachment 11883

View attachment 11884

View attachment 11885

View attachment 11886

View attachment 11887

Step: 7: Just connect the Subwoofer speaker wires from Amplifier to Subwoofer! remember to connect -ve of one channel and +ve of another channel to make it a dual channel output! We r done! Hopefully it will start! :)

EDIT: CONNECT THE WHOLE SETUP TO "ORANGE" PORT OF AUDIO CARD AND NOT GREEN FOR BETTER RESULTS

The picture of this connection will be in next post .. max 10 attachments per post sorry!

Last edited:
OP
R

rak2410

"Winter is coming"
Subwoofer wire connection

View attachment 11888

And now fine tuning the Amplifier. VERY IMPORTANT!

1. Gain control - Set this towards the counterclockwise max ( the higher gain voltage = less sub output. so if MAX gain is lets say 6V then if u keep it at 6V the sub will sound too soft.. Now turn it clockwise just a bit maybe around 20%) . Above this the subwoofer may sound too loud! Watch out for neighbors :p

2. Switch On LOW PASS FILTER - this eliminates the voices and only bass frequencies are played.

Now You have urself a kickass car subwoofer for ur PC :) .. Just fine tune the bass level using the gain control of the Amplifier.
Gain control is nothing but the Input Voltage. Just trial and error for better results!

Thanks a lot for reading. Hope it helped! Any queries ping me. Enjoy! :)

Cheers,
Rakshith Anand

Last edited:

Gollum

Collector

View attachment 11390

View attachment 11391

View attachment 11392

What is the model name of the amp and the speaker?

Top Bottom