cant use recovery console in xp sp3

justme101

" It'S iN tHe GaMe..."
:x my computer keeps rebooting...i shows the xp loading screen and then the blue screen(BSOD) just flashes and it restarts again.

i browsed around to find a solution and most of them used the recovery console from the xp setup disc. Now i m using xp sp3, so i put the disc in ,boot from it, and the only option i get is to install windows xp again. In SP2 i got the option to repair the existing installation.

so HELPPPPP....!!!!!

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
Probably a virus. Do a scan with updated AV. If it shows no infections, scan with this- l

link==

HouseCall - Free Online Virus Scan - Trend Micro USA

Also I reccomend you to do a system date to a date when you didnt have the problem

gameranand

Living to Play
thetechfreak said:
Probably a virus. Do a scan with updated AV. If it shows no infections, scan with this- l
Now how the hell on earth he can scan for virus when his XP is rebooting continuously.

justme101 said:
my computer keeps rebooting...i shows the xp loading screen and then the blue screen(BSOD) just flashes and it restarts again.
Get a Ubuntu CD and live boot from it and then scan using online antivirus ans see what happens. If you can boot again then fine or try to use recovery console after scanning your PC. If both of these don't work then Reinstalling your OS is the only chance.

OP
justme101

justme101

" It'S iN tHe GaMe..."
ok i needed to get the pc started really fast so i formatted it...and i have installed avast free AV ,is it good enough??? and should i use the link given by @thetechfreak to scan my system...

but my question remains unanswered..." why is it that i could use the recovery console by pressing R while booting from the setup disc in SP@ but i dont get the option in SP3 "

gameranand

Living to Play
justme101 said:
and should i use the link given by @thetechfreak to scan my system...
If you have installed a AV and scanned your system then there is no need to do that.

justme101 said:
why is it that i could use the recovery console by pressing R while booting from the setup disc in SP@ but i dont get the option in SP3 "
Service pack changes the OS files of your computer. Had you enabled system recovery in XP SP3 ???

OP
justme101

justme101

" It'S iN tHe GaMe..."
Nope i didn't do anything like that...so i cant repair the OS from the boot disc if i want to?????

gameranand

Living to Play
^^ Actually its activated by default in XP but if somehow it was disabled then you can't use this feature. And also sometimes the system files are damaged so badly that recovery can't recover your OS and that maybe case of you.

nims11

BIOS Terminator
^^ Actually its activated by default in XP but if somehow it was disabled then you can't use this feature. And also sometimes the system files are damaged so badly that recovery can't recover your OS and that maybe case of you.

maybe the virus disabled it!

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin

I 2nd the above explanation. This problem occurred to me too.

I had a XP SP2 CD. I used nLite to slipstream SP3 onto that XP, and tweaked around many settings to make it faster.
When I burned the modified XP, I was disappointed to see that, the option to Recover which comes before the actual setup begins was vanished. But this Recovery option was present in Win SP2!

So till today, if I want to install XP, I use the modified setup. But for recovery options I use either CD's:
1. Win XP SP2
2. Ultimate Boot (UBCD)
3. Linux Live CD.

OP
justme101

justme101

" It'S iN tHe GaMe..."
ok so i understand that i might be deactivated in sp3....so i should use live boot CDs suggested by you (like ubuntu)....so can a SOLARIS disc be used to live boot too?

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Cant be sure for a particular Linux distro, but the best way to find out is to set CD drive as first boot drive, insert the Solaris disk and boot the computer. If the disk can be used for live boot, there would be a direct option to do so, usually as the first option in the menu.

Just be careful not to set it to install, if there isn't any option for live boot. :-D

gameranand

Living to Play
^^ Well most of the Linux distros come with Live boot and its usually the first option including Solaris which OP has. So he don't have to worry about that unless he changes the option himself.:)):D

Top Bottom