Cannot boot from hard disk

Status
Not open for further replies.

ravikanth

Exploring
Hi i bought a new intel atom. And formatted and installed a fresh copy of windows xp in 80bg pata hardisk. Xp got installed fine and working properly... installed all mobo drivers too. But when i restart, i am unable to boot from hard disk. Its say no bootable device found. But if i keep the bootable xp cd in drive, then with the help of that windows starts. I tried by changing the boot options by setting to boot from hard disk.. but it is not recognising hdd as bootable.

How can i fix it? What could be the problem?

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Hi i bought a new intel atom. And formatted and installed a fresh copy of windows xp in 80bg pata hardisk. Xp got installed fine and working properly... installed all mobo drivers too. But when i restart, i am unable to boot from hard disk. Its say no bootable device found. But if i keep the bootable xp cd in drive, then with the help of that windows starts. I tried by changing the boot options by setting to boot from hard disk.. but it is not recognising hdd as bootable.

How can i fix it? What could be the problem?
What does that mean?
By doing this u r able enter ur installed XP or new installation?

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
Maybe your OS partition is not bootable. Did you repartition your HDD instead of just formatting it? The OS partition has to be made bootable by making it "Active".

You can check this by booting with an MS-DOS boot disk, with Partition Magic, or other disk management prog.

OP
ravikanth

ravikanth

Exploring
What does that mean?
By doing this u r able enter ur installed XP or new installation?

Yes by booting from cd I'm able to use my installed xp. But from hdd it dosent boot.
-----------------------------------------
Posted again:
-----------------------------------------
Maybe your OS partition is not bootable. Did you repartition your HDD instead of just formatting it? The OS partition has to be made bootable by making it "Active".

You can check this by booting with an MS-DOS boot disk, with Partition Magic, or other disk management prog.

I did not repartioned it. Just formatted c drive and installed xp. I don't have a ms dos boot disk, I will try with partition magic.
But I never seen an option to make a partition active while installing os.

Last edited:

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
If the OS partition was bootable before and you did not make any changes, there's no need to make it bootable again. I just wondered if you changed the active status of the OS partition.

hypbita

Right off the assembly line
other ideas?

Installing hydronic and electric radiant floor heating systems | Radiant heat cost

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom