Can you please suggest me the right path for being a software\IT professional ?

Jerin

Journeyman
Dear Friends

I am a B.Tech student , when I started my engineering course I had the feeling that it would be the education of mine that the IT companies wanted and our syllabus is just the right one.

But now I feel its not the right path by any means. People from IT industry whom I know for years have told me B.Tech is just a degree / passport to get a job. The real work has not yet begun .

Can somebody out here explain me what is the real job of an IT professional ? I am really confused. What is the new technology that these companies teach you during the training ? Is it different from C , C++ ,Java you study ? Is it high level of those languages ?

Can any of you tell the type of problems that these IT companies solve using these programming languages?

Which path should a B.Tech student take to be on the right path for a good job ?

Which is the easiest among the big list of technologies to absorb ? I mean is it Database or coding or testing etc ?

Thank You
Jerin

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
First you make your mind on the domain, Networking, Development, Database Administrator etc.

After you make up, brush up your skills on that area.

Getting some certifications on that domain will help you further.

OP
J

Jerin

Journeyman
I really don't know which is the one I should go for . Can you suggest me the easiest in the IT category? I mean the one which can be handled easily to a certain extent at least.

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
I really don't know which is the one I should go for . Can you suggest me the easiest in the IT category? I mean the one which can be handled easily to a certain extent at least.

"Easy" depends on your strengths to be fair.

OP
J

Jerin

Journeyman
But it is difficult for me to tell which will be easy for me because I am not yet employed in any company. Only after facing the situation I can tell it . Am I right ? Is there any other method to know ?

At present I know C,C++, SQL ,HTML, and bit of Java. But I don't know how productive will be my ability when it comes to IT Industry related projects.

Prime_Coder

I'm a Wannabe Hacker
Hello Jerin,
It would be better for you if you ask your senior students. You have said that you know C, C++, HTML, SQL and Java, so you need to brush up the knowledge in these areas.

One more suggestion: Face the interviews. It will give you the idea what the employers are looking for. You will also get to know your weaknesses from this experience.
I also had the same confusion which you have now. But I asked to the seniors and faced the interviews. Try to face the interview for any IT company (may be small or large).

Last edited:
OP
J

Jerin

Journeyman
^

Sir

I have been asking a lot of the seniors and they have kept on saying about C# and Java, and nothing more than that :) . Maybe facing an interview will make things clear.

One more thing is that if you have basic skills in all languages that is just not enough because one should in which way he can utilize its use to the maximum. Its like you know a lot of things but doesn't know how put that it into something that the IT industry needs.

Anyhow I will try and improve my knowledge in the languages like C++, Java , SQL, etc.

Hope there will be hope from one corner or the other.

Thanks a lot for your advice.

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
If you choose programming, then choose your domain wisely. As a fresher, you'd have knowledge on every(common) languages, but after you get into a company, you'd be working only with one. So choose one wisely, which you prefer most.

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
I'll say if you don't have particular bias to a field at this point, choose a less followed domain. And in that case, certainly not Java or .NET. How about DBMS? Can be very well paid job.

gopi_vbboy

Cyborg Agent
I suggest you read some motivation and career related articles in
careers360.com

IT means just cheap labour.Decide before you get in.

OP
J

Jerin

Journeyman
^

Sarkarji

Thanks a lot for your advice.
I will try to select one single language and concentrate on it.

Liverpool Fan

Thank You so much !
Yes I am looking forward to a career DBMS too.

Gopiji

I know its a no life ,stressful career.Its difficult I know.But I am a Computer Science student so I don't really know which other field I can enter with this Btech CS degree .

It would be great if you could suggest me few other options to get rid of IT life.

Thank you all for your valuable suggestions.

mitraark

Decrepit
Look , the way i see it , there is less chance you would actually get expert enough in any particular language during college , just try to learn the basics of some languages. Later on you can go deep into the one you would need.

I learnt somewhat the few chapters of PHP and Visual Studio [ for VB ] , although i hardly know much compared to what would be required in a job , still , i would be able to catch up very quickly if later needed..

OP
J

Jerin

Journeyman
^

I hope I can catch up well :)

Can you guys please suggest me good books that can enhance my ability in C++,Java, and stuffs.

Also please suggest me books for Oracle,and PHP as a beginner.

Last edited:

Prime_Coder

I'm a Wannabe Hacker
Can you guys please suggest me good books that can enhance my ability in C++,Java, and stuffs.

You might have already studied some of these books:

For C++:
  1. Object Oriented Programming with C++ by Balagurusamy
  2. C++: The Complete Reference by Herbert Schildt
    and
  3. Thinking in C++ (2 volumes) by Bruce Eckel

For Java:

1. Core Java 2 (2 Volumes) by Horstmann & Cornell
  2. Java 2 Complete Reference by P. Naughton & Herbert Schildt

Also, you may find other interesting books for these languages. Other members on forum will be helpful in this regard. :)

Do not forget to use the online resources. :p

Also please suggest me books for Oracle,and PHP as a beginner.

For Oracle( in particular for DBMS) use the books by Korth, RamKrishnan & Gehrke etc. Also use the online material available on Oracle's official website.

I can't tell you much about PHP, because I've just started to learn it from scratch. :|

Learn from others' code also, who are experts in these topics. It will surely help you.

Happy reading. :smile:

OP
J

Jerin

Journeyman
You might have already studied some of these books:

For C++:
  1. Object Oriented Programming with C++ by Balagurusamy
  2. C++: The Complete Reference by Herbert Schildt
    and
  3. Thinking in C++ (2 volumes) by Bruce Eckel

For Java:

1. Core Java 2 (2 Volumes) by Horstmann & Cornell
  2. Java 2 Complete Reference by P. Naughton & Herbert Schildt

Also, you may find other interesting books for these languages. Other members on forum will be helpful in this regard. :)

Do not forget to use the online resources. :p

For Oracle( in particular for DBMS) use the books by Korth, RamKrishnan & Gehrke etc. Also use the online material available on Oracle's official website.

I can't tell you much about PHP, because I've just started to learn it from scratch. :|

Learn from others' code also, who are experts in these topics. It will surely help you.

Happy reading. :smile:

Yes, I have studied from a lot of these books.Looks like I am far behind when it comes to Java. I have a long way to go :smile .

OOPs in C++ is somewhat ok for me. Always wanted to study from Thinking in C++ ,but it looks too much at times :smile.

Yes I will use online resources because, there is nothing that can match the experience and knowledge of guys like you on the internet.

I wish you all the best for your journey towards achieving complete success in PHP programming :smile.

Thank you so much for your valuable suggestions.

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
IT companies expect you to know your basics and that too very well.

They know that you are a fresher and can't deliver from the next day. So don't panic. Get your stronghold in any language (JAVA I would prefer) along with DBMS+SQL. If you can show that you can answer 90% of the questions that are asked to you from these fields only, you will clear the interview.

Best of luck and don't panic.

buddyram

New Voyage
hi jerin
even i had the same type of confusion as you in choosing the career.
Initially(after i finished my college), i had a misconception that i need to be thorough with all the IT Stuffs from MS-Office to C,C++,Java,HTML,ASP to get into the IT Company.

It really took years to clear my confusion & choose a particular domain, now if i look back i would feel sorry for myself. In that confusion, i did the course on CCNA thinking that i could pursue in both networks as well as programming but it took time to realize the reality, later my programming passion pulled me back and now doing a course on RIA.

So, i wish that you choose the right domain where you have more strength!

Finally, if you look for web development through PHP-MySQL, here is the URL which one of my friend(krishnandu) suggested me from this forum.

W3Schools Online Web Tutorials

OP
J

Jerin

Journeyman
IT companies expect you to know your basics and that too very well.

They know that you are a fresher and can't deliver from the next day. So don't panic. Get your stronghold in any language (JAVA I would prefer) along with DBMS+SQL. If you can show that you can answer 90% of the questions that are asked to you from these fields only, you will clear the interview.

Best of luck and don't panic.

I hope I will be able to select one as soon as possible. Even I like Java, but many say Java is a never ending story :)

Thank you Rhitwickji :)

hi jerin
even i had the same type of confusion as you in choosing the career.
Initially(after i finished my college), i had a misconception that i need to be thorough with all the IT Stuffs from MS-Office to C,C++,Java,HTML,ASP to get into the IT Company.

It really took years to clear my confusion & choose a particular domain, now if i look back i would feel sorry for myself. In that confusion, i did the course on CCNA thinking that i could pursue in both networks as well as programming but it took time to realize the reality, later my programming passion pulled me back and now doing a course on RIA.

So, i wish that you choose the right domain where you have more strength!

Finally, if you look for web development through PHP-MySQL, here is the URL which one of my friend(krishnandu) suggested me from this forum.

W3Schools Online Web Tutorials

Dear Ram

Thank you so much for your advice.I have visited that website and it looks good. I hope I will be able to do well.

There is nothing wrong in learning CCNA but you should have choosen it as a side one and keeping pace with programming/database.

Maybe later on in your life CCNA will be helpful.We all have this confusion because of the campus atmosphere which keeps on telling that you need this that etc.

I am sure you will fight back well and will make up for the lost time, also God is always kind.There is nothing to worry.We all here to back you.I believe in your ability.

You know one thing : God will help those who are good in one way or the other. If we do good to others then automatically God will help us.

There r only two options I know:-

MBA

or LLB in cyber Law ( I prefer this one otherwise upto u)

Dear Mohit

Thanks for your suggestions. Let's see what happens.

Looks like you are all set to be a lawyer :)

Top Bottom